Have you been told not to test your blood sugars?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Thanks. I'm not saying anyone should be denied strips. I was just saying prescribing them to everyone regardless is pointless as lots aren't interested. Also, unless they are accompanied by training so you understand the numbers and how they are affected it's a waste. Those diabetics that read and post on forums are a rare breed and are certainly not typical of the diabetic population. I'm well aware that most members here would benefit from strips.
Sorry but I disagree. I had no training. It states on the website what the bs range for non diabetics and diabetics is. All you need to do is read it. The info I got about diabetes was from this forum and from a poster who referred me to diet doc. I think that everyone who wants to have the opportunity to test should have that option. It would appear that many practices take the line that diabetics wouldn't understand the readings, become too obsessive about testing, aren't interested. People must be given a chance.

Reactions: 4 people

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
I know my mom when she was told that she was a T2 she was told she needed to test at random a min or twice a day - meter n strips are not provided regardless of your type of diabetes, T1 or T2 its all on your own head to get the diabetic supplies that you need for your own life (unless you are on the government dole then there is another system in place to get you the medical stuff you need regardless of diabetic type). Which sucks since for some of us we don't earn enough each month to be able to afford our diabetic supplies and living at the same time!

But I digress, my mom was told to test twice a day at random and that is what she did for 20 off years of her life then about 10 years ago was told she could cut down to testing to couple times a week then finally was told she would test once a month as she felt she needed to do so - her a1c for the past 10 years was 4.5 with an average glucose reading of 5.2

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
D
I know my mom when she was told that she was a T2 she was told she needed to test at random a min or twice a day - meter n strips are not provided regardless of your type of diabetes, T1 or T2 its all on your own head to get the diabetic supplies that you need for your own life (unless you are on the government dole then there is another system in place to get you the medical stuff you need regardless of diabetic type). Which sucks since for some of us we don't earn enough each month to be able to afford our diabetic supplies and living at the same time!

But I digress, my mom was told to test twice a day at random and that is what she did for 20 off years of her life then about 10 years ago was told she could cut down to testing to couple times a week then finally was told she would test once a month as she felt she needed to do so - her a1c for the past 10 years was 4.5 with an average glucose reading of 5.2
ont know what meters cost out there but if cost is an issue have you considered the SD code from the following link:http://www.homehealth-uk.com
If you buy 5 pots at a time you can have a discount:
image.jpg

bunkey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Actually brunneria the reasons why I have the retinopathy is not due to not testing and adjusting my diet (as I said before....not all type 2 diabetics ate fat!!) It's due to the fact that I have had many health problems and drugs that have raised my blood sugars....and throughput pregnancy I was on insulin...It is taking a while to get them sorted and as my health worsens so do my blood sugars which as I said before I still need to test. I have moved Dr's and the Dr's I am at now have refused to give me the strips on prescription because I am type 2! Which is why I'm saying if your blood sugars are not stable...ie no change in a long time then you need to be testing and therefore need the equipment to test.

bunkey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And I'm not saying attall that newly diagnosed type 2 diabetics don't need to test....I am saying if you ate type 2 but are stable....ie no change in blood sugars for a long time with no other health problems occurring then you don't need to test religiously. I agree that all diabetics should have free access to equipment...ie just trying to put out there that if cost is an issue as to why we are no longer allowed them on the nhs then cuts for people who are stable could be made.

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
meter are between 5 n 50 bucks (or free if you buy 100 strips or get them from the parent company directly) its the test strips that cost almost 80 bucks per 100 pack if you are a senior drop 15% from that but other wise no suck luck for a discount in general ...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually brunneria the reasons why I have the retinopathy is not due to not testing and adjusting my diet (as I said before....not all type 2 diabetics ate fat!!) It's due to the fact that I have had many health problems and drugs that have raised my blood sugars....and throughput pregnancy I was on insulin...It is taking a while to get them sorted and as my health worsens so do my blood sugars which as I said before I still need to test. I have moved Dr's and the Dr's I am at now have refused to give me the strips on prescription because I am type 2! Which is why I'm saying if your blood sugars are not stable...ie no change in a long time then you need to be testing and therefore need the equipment to test.

But even if you have stable blood glucose for a long time, it is possible for a change to happen (infection, lifestyle change, health complication, or other) which can cause the blood glucose to rise enough to cause longterm problems. How would a non testing type 2 know that and know to seek medical advice?

(Not sure why you keep mentioning that you aren't fat? I can't see the relevance)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
meter are between 5 n 50 bucks (or free if you buy 100 strips or get them from the parent company directly) its the test strips that cost almost 80 bucks per 100 pack if you are a senior drop 15% from that but other wise no suck luck for a discount in general ...
If you use the link I posted together with the discount code then the meter would cost 19 dollars and 250 strips would cost about 41 dollars. Postage is half a dollar. They do ship overseas - I put their UK prices into a money converter for you.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

When people on this thread have commented on adjusting your diet they are not saying you are fat! They mean that if you are diabetic you could cut down on your carb intake (I started with cutting out bread, potatoes, pasta ,rice, sugar.) I am surprised you didn't test as you said you have been a nurse. I bought myself a meter whilst I was still borderline diabetic. No-one told me to, I had no medical training, I hadn't even looked at a forum then. I just knew there had to be such things as meters to help me, so I got one.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry but I disagree. I had no training. It states on the website what the bs range for non diabetics and diabetics is. All you need to do is read it. The info I got about diabetes was from this forum and from a poster who referred me to diet doc. I think that everyone who wants to have the opportunity to test should have that option. It would appear that many practices take the line that diabetics wouldn't understand the readings, become too obsessive about testing, aren't interested. People must be given a chance.

The problem is that if every type 2 was given a meter they would do simply do what the NHS guidelines tell them, which is generally that any HbA1c level below 7.5 is fine. Most of us here like ours to be lower than that. That gives us a real chance.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@Scandichic
I think that what @dannyw Was trying to say was that unless they are accompanied by training so you understand the numbers and how they are affected it's a waste. so give them the training!
Without being elitist, the majority of people on here are highly motivated and are not "brainwashed" by the "HCP knows best" thinking that still prevails in the rest of "the herd"
I think he is saying that we don't want to just "dole out" strips, Rather give the strips WITH education & support.

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Scandichic
I think that what @dannyw Was trying to say was that unless they are accompanied by training so you understand the numbers and how they are affected it's a waste. so give them the training!
Without being elitist, the majority of people on here are highly motivated and are not "brainwashed" by the "HCP knows best" thinking that still prevails in the rest of "the herd"
I think he is saying that we don't want to just "dole out" strips, Rather give the strips WITH education & support.
Thanks, that is exactly my point. I would not wish to see anyone deprived of a meter or strips. I was just trying to say that 99% of diabetics DON'T join forums to receive all this great advice. OK, the meters come with basic instructions but many newly diagnosed are not even given decent dietary advice regarding carbs etc so how would you expect them to make good use of testing data ? I believe education should come first, swiftly followed by strips for those willing to act on the results.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@zand
@dannyw @FergusCrawford
I think you might be missing my point
They ARE given education when diagnosed as far as the Nhs is concerned. And that is to follow the Nhs eat well plate and exercise portion control. At the hospital I went on the education course. Eat carbs with every meal and that as long as bs under 10!!!!!!! Not to worry! Many diabetics who don't come on this forum will be convinced that they ARE doing something about it by following the NHS guidelines. Although the hospital were keen on testing they couldn't prescribe the meters and strips. Those had to come from the doc or DNS. Many are focused on their budgets. So spend their time telling us t2 that we don't need to test as the metformin regulates our bs and that as long as we follow the eat well plate and exercise portion control, all will be well. Sadly it almost never is.

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
I am a T2 since 2006. I had been testing sugar levels occasionally , 100 strips usually last for 3-6 months . This is because my insurance company does not reimburse the expenses for not being a T1. But recently, I found my sugar levels have gone little higher and out of control . And that is why decided to test the BS more regularly at least 1-2 times a day. My doctor never advised me about the frequency of test. From the thread I can see most T2 cases have a common voice that testing of sugar level is not mandatory. Then how do we control our diet and lifestyle to be within good control of BS .
I think, we need the right advice whether we need to test or not independent of who will supply strips or pay for testing .

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I am a T2 since 2006. I had been testing sugar levels occasionally , 100 strips usually last for 3-6 months . This is because my insurance company does not reimburse the expenses for not being a T1. But recently, I found my sugar levels have gone little higher and out of control . And that is why decided to test the BS more regularly at least 1-2 times a day. My doctor never advised me about the frequency of test. From the thread I can see most T2 cases have a common voice that testing of sugar level is not mandatory. Then how do we control our diet and lifestyle to be within good control of BS .
I think, we need the right advice whether we need to test or not independent of who will supply strips or pay for testing .
It's infuriating. It's so clear that we need to test, isn't it! Am fed up of reading about members who've been told not to test because they
  1. Don't need to - they're T2 and the meds will take care of it
  2. Shouldn't because they won't understand the results - as if we're all stupid
  3. Shouldn't because they will become obsessive
When it's all about docs saving money in the too meagre budget which they've been given!

C

catherinecherub

How do we interpret this?

Dan Poulter, Health Minister says in this article,
People are taking greater control of their own health as they monitor and better self-manage conditions like diabetes with the help of blood pressure cuffs, pulse monitors and glucose monitors.

Does he think the NHS are supplying them or that they are available to buy? We know that BP cuffs and pulse monitors are self funded so he seems to be implying that glucose monitors are too.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/1...-on-the-brink-of-a-healthcare-revolution.html

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do we interpret this?

Dan Poulter, Health Minister says in this article,
People are taking greater control of their own health as they monitor and better self-manage conditions like diabetes with the help of blood pressure cuffs, pulse monitors and glucose monitors.

Does he think the NHS are supplying them or that they are available to buy? We know that BP cuffs and pulse monitors are self funded so he seems to be implying that glucose monitors are too.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/1...-on-the-brink-of-a-healthcare-revolution.html

Hmmm

I share your concern. It really does read as if people will be queueing up to take responsibility for their own health, 'empowered' by all the lovely shiny new gadgets available, doesn't it? but that would create an even bigger divide. I mean if doctors and surgeries are spending all that time supporting the well equipped, smart phone users, then resources are going into that, rather than supporting those who don't or can't keep up with the latest technology.

More people likely to slip through the cracks.

As a self funder for testing, I know what a profound difference it has made to my blood glucose control.
But I didn't even know that I could buy a test meter until I turned up at this forum.
The first one I bought I stood at the pharmacy counter in Boots wondering if I was going to have to provide some sort of evidence that I was diabetic before they let me buy one!

I completely appreciate that a fair number of type 2s don't want to know what their bg may be. they want to keep eating what they like and pretend they don't have diabetes. i get that. they are allowed free choice. but it ceases to be free choice if they have no idea that testing is available to them, whether it is self funded or on prescription. and that is tragic.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zand
@dannyw @FergusCrawford
I think you might be missing my point
They ARE given education when diagnosed as far as the Nhs is concerned. And that is to follow the Nhs eat well plate and exercise portion control. At the hospital I went on the education course. Eat carbs with every meal and that as long as bs under 10!!!!!!! Not to worry! Many diabetics who don't come on this forum will be convinced that they ARE doing something about it by following the NHS guidelines. Although the hospital were keen on testing they couldn't prescribe the meters and strips. Those had to come from the doc or DNS. Many are focused on their budgets. So spend their time telling us t2 that we don't need to test as the metformin regulates our bs and that as long as we follow the eat well plate and exercise portion control, all will be well. Sadly it almost never is.
@Scandichic I think that's our point too. All diabetics need real education about diabetes. A meter isn't much use without it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A friend's cousin is Type 2 and has a meter and strips on prescription. He does as his nurse said. He tests his morning fasting occasionally, and sometimes before his tea. Because these readings are good he sails on in the misguided belief he is at those levels all day, then wonders why his HbA1c is increasing along with his medication. He never tests meals, so never sees the spikes. No-one has ever told him otherwise.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Scandichic I think that's our point too. All diabetics need real education about diabetes. A meter isn't much use without it.

...and real education isn't much use without a meter.

They should go hand in hand.

But that practicalities of that make my mind boggle!