Insulin for protein

Winifred12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm sure I've seen this before but how on earth do I work out how much insulin to take per grams of protein?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are some here that will be able to guide you..............

ultimately though it would be best for you to test and see what your individual requirements are.........

I have never needed to do so, on injections, or the pump.............:)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's really trial & error if you are replacing the carbs with protein and fat, just start off on a reduced dose and work your way up taking into account your bg readings from that meal, make sure to record what you find for future reference.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes it's as a replacement. Take the insulin at the same time or later?

Trial & error my friend, I find if I eat the occasional low-carb meals such as a cheese omelette I have to give some insulin upfront and the rest 2-3 hours later to avoid a pre-prandial spike, so it's a split-dose in my case but may not be the case for you, hopefully some type 1 LC's might see your post and help you out.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure I've seen this before but how on earth do I work out how much insulin to take per grams of protein?
I have to take insulin for protein now that I am low-carbing. It's best to experiment to find out how much you need to take and when, as we are all different. In my case I count 50% of the protein content as carbs and bolus for that after the meal.

Winifred12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have to take insulin for protein now that I am low-carbing. It's best to experiment to find out how much you need to take and when, as we are all different. In my case I count 50% of the protein content as carbs and bolus for that after the meal.
Trying to start to low carb but finding it difficult in a busy family. When do you take your insulin?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Trying to start to low carb but finding it difficult in a busy family. When do you take your insulin?
I would take it at the end of the meal if my BGs were stable, or I might take it before if they were a little high. I inject in my legs to slow down the onset of the NovoRapid a bit.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just noticed that you are on a pump. Maybe you could do an extended bolus if the rise is slower than for carbs (mine is).

Reactions: 3 people

Winifred12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would take it at the end of the meal if my BGs were stable, or I might take it before if they were a little high. I inject in my legs to slow down the onset of the NovoRapid a bit.
I'm on a pump so I might start with a dual wave bolus at your 50% and see how I go

Reactions: 3 people

Pneu

If you are low-carbing as a type 1 then its best to ensure that you are either in or out of ketosis as a "moderate" low carb approach may see you fluctuate in and out and that can cause control issues.. i.e. you may or may not covert protein to glucose at fluctuating rates..

Generally once you are into a regime of low-carb in ketosis (say sub 80g / day) then covering protein as others have suggested comes down to a bit of trial and error.. however a good starting point would be to go at around 50% of what you need to cover the equivalent amount of carbs.

If you are on a pump then I would suggest 50% upfront and then 50% over the next hour..

If you are injecting.. then inject once you have finished the meal.. and again I would split into 50% post meal and 50% at +1 hour..

Another valid control strategy that I used pre-pump was to cover meals with a mixtard.. 30/70 mixards are great for covering protein.. 1 injection post meal instead of the two.. but just keep an eye on those +3 / +4 hour levels..

Winifred12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you are low-carbing as a type 1 then its best to ensure that you are either in or out of ketosis as a "moderate" low carb approach may see you fluctuate in and out and that can cause control issues.. i.e. you may or may not covert protein to glucose at fluctuating rates..

Generally once you are into a regime of low-carb in ketosis (say sub 80g / day) then covering protein as others have suggested comes down to a bit of trial and error.. however a good starting point would be to go at around 50% of what you need to cover the equivalent amount of carbs.

If you are on a pump then I would suggest 50% upfront and then 50% over the next hour..

If you are injecting.. then inject once you have finished the meal.. and again I would split into 50% post meal and 50% at +1 hour..

Another valid control strategy that I used pre-pump was to cover meals with a mixtard.. 30/70 mixards are great for covering protein.. 1 injection post meal instead of the two.. but just keep an eye on those +3 / +4 hour levels..
Thanks Pneu.

Yes I'm on a pump, tried the 50% today and then spiked to 9 4 hours later, might try 60% tomorrow and extend the bolus over 2 hours!

Pneu

Thanks Pneu.

Yes I'm on a pump, tried the 50% today and then spiked to 9 4 hours later, might try 60% tomorrow and extend the bolus over 2 hours!

All a bit of trial and error! just remember to keep testing regularly and soon you should get a feel for it..