Newly Diagnosed? Don't panic - Veteran type 2 13 days experience from 12.00 to 6.5

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
OK I have only been diagnosed 13 days ago and only had meter for 9 days. Been through the intro to forum and then support from all the legends of the forum who have seen it all read it all and continue to put something back into the Community. I had all of the early day doubts spikes at 17.00 fasting stuck at 8.5, do I need meds or not, Meter or not. I am now consistently 6.5 in the morning and below 9.00 after food. I know if I have been naughty that is the reason for the odd spike. Cant eat breads and potatoes huge spikes, cant eat roti without huge spikes. So now I know. Have discovered wonderful world of real fresh food and new acquired food tastes. All I will say is if you say you can you definitely will.

Mainly enjoyed bean salads, hi-lo bread, grilled chicken, olives, bitter gourd juiced , juiced carrot celery and apple juice, daily walk of 40 minutes.
Best of all support advice and knowledge forum, inspiration and success.

Best of luck everyone.

Reactions: 11 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Beatdise, It is the first time I have herd of "bitter gourd juiced" so i am going to give that a go.
I like your confidence which is the best way to go. ( sometimes being naughty gives you the extra push )
I think your target to loose 23 lbs by January is a little high,simply because of the change in weather and that dreadful Christmas period ( 1 stone would be quite fantastic and more than enough in such a short period )
Best of luck.

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
Well done Beatdise, It is the first time I have herd of "bitter gourd juiced" so i am going to give that a go.
I like your confidence which is the best way to go. ( sometimes being naughty gives you the extra push )
I think your target to loose 23 lbs by January is a little high,simply because of the change in weather and that dreadful Christmas period ( 1 stone would be quite fantastic and more than enough in such a short period )
Best of luck.
Izzi thanks for response. The bitter Gourd I have is just a quarter or less of of standard glass. It comes out a lovely light green. One whole Gourd is what I have used. I do follow up with my carrot, celery and apple to help take away the taste.

The weight target is quite a stretch but its a bit like my status title " Unless I say I am going to get there its unlikely I'll get there. Having lost 3 kg in a little over a week I am a bit bullish at the moment. But trust me the **** I used to eat and drink with no thought about the implications meant I stayed well overweight. I am hoping with my level of walking each day and a healthy compliant diet that I will achieve my objective. If I get half way to the target I wont beat myself up and will need to rethink my strategy.

Many thanks again for your response.

Positive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Now one mentioned Bitter Gourd-
I googled two days back to learn about Bitter gourd and effect of Cinnamon on diets. There is an old thread by another member Xyxxy experimenting with Bitter Gourd tablets, Cinnamon and few other natural herbal remedies and effect on his BS. Very interesting and ordered some BM tablets.Worth a read. I am grateful for his contribution.

Reactions: 2 people

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
Now one mentioned Bitter Gourd-
I googled two days back to learn about Bitter gourd and effect of Cinnamon on diets. There is an old thread by another member Xyxxy experimenting with Bitter Gourd tablets, Cinnamon and few other natural herbal remedies and effect on his BS. Very interesting and ordered some BM tablets.Worth a read. I am grateful for his contribution.
Hi Positive. It is early days for me. My father used to love bitter Gourd or Keralay in curries and my wife stuffs mincemeat into them to make a lovely keralay mince curry. My BS numbers have sharply reduced in last few days, I have had two 5's lowest yet before lunch and before dinner. Not sure to which extent the bitter gourd made the difference but we use fresh from South Asian grocers.

Good luck if you are going to try it.

skas246

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All

I an newly disgnosed T2 this Monday with 14.0% mmol and was in A&E Monday just gone with what teh medics said was a mini-stroke!
To say that I was and remained freaked-out is an understatement to say the least.
Someone please tell me it gets better as one learns more about it?
I am on mertaformin 1000mgs but I am thinking that is to high a dose and that i should use a natural alternative - what do people think?
And what is the best way to handle anxiety relating to being mewly diagnosed?

Much thanks

K

Kat100

Hi Positive. It is early days for me. My father used to love bitter Gourd or Keralay in curries and my wife stuffs mincemeat into them to make a lovely keralay mince curry. My BS numbers have sharply reduced in last few days, I have had two 5's lowest yet before lunch and before dinner. Not sure to which extent the bitter gourd made the difference but we use fresh from South Asian grocers.

Good luck if you are going to try it.
Bitter gourd in curries is lovely , I like mine in a lentil curry with coconut milk ...but it am veggie ...enjoy

K

Kat100

Hi All

I an newly disgnosed T2 this Monday with 14.0% mmol and was in A&E Monday just gone with what teh medics said was a mini-stroke!
To say that I was and remained freaked-out is an understatement to say the least.
I am on mertaformin 1000mgs but I am thinking that is to high a dose and that i should use a natural alternative - what do people think?

Much thanks
Sorry to hear this , I really think you need medical or further health advice regarding your medication and diet ...a referral to a dietitien maybe an idea ....I don't think you should be looking at natural alternatives without getting medical advice ...best wishes Kat

Positive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Where we live no Asian Groceries, mind you I think I have seen these in Tesco. Yes like these as curries if someone else has cooked it. Sounds good with mince meat.
@beatdise You have done really well with your BS levels. Are you low carbing?
@skas246 - if you have not introduce yourself on a new thread yet do so as other senior members will guide you in the right path. When I joined I read threads on successful stories and how other members have brought their BS levels down. It was very useful indeed and very encouraging. You will also get there soon. Good luck

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
Hi All

Much thanks
Hi and welcome skas246. At 14.0% mmol me and you not that far apart. Sorry to hear of your mini-stroke. Best thing you have done already is join the forum. You will get from the forum pretty much out of the forum as you want. With over a 100,000 members with first hand experience no doc is going to have that range of knowledge and experience. I am six days ahead of you and in that time I have changed my diet, my exercise regime and my view on life. Basically I want a long one and a healthy one. I aint about to let Diabetes control my life I will control IT. Into the bargain I have realised I am already feeling great. Would I ever have changed my lifestyle if I had no diagnosis. I have been promising myself I will get round to dieting for the last 10 years. Now I have lost more weight in a week then I have in the last 20 years. So diagnosis does present opportunity new start new hope. I am just glad all this support is available. If you need the med to help you I guess that's fine until you get it under control. But that's YOUR CALL YOUR RISK. I am not sure anyone should advise other than medical experts if you have already had a ministroke. Others can share their story but you are a UNIQUE human being what works for you will be for you. The ANXIETY will ease as you get more experience. Its a bit like the grieving process, after the initial shock, the denial, the resistance, he acceptance and then action to manage it and enjoy a wonderful new life.

This Forum will definitely help ease the ANXIETY. My best wishes for your journey and recovery, if you believe you can you will!!

Last edited by a moderator:

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
Where we live no Asian Groceries, mind you I think I have seen these in Tesco. Yes like these as curries if someone else has cooked it. Sounds good with mince meat.
@beatdise You have done really well with your BS levels. Are you low carbing?
@skas246 - if you have not introduce yourself on a new thread yet do so as other senior members will guide you in the right path. When I joined I read threads on successful stories and how other members have brought their BS levels down. It was very useful indeed and very encouraging. You will also get there soon. Good luck
Yes definitely Low Carbing had decided that is what I would do and when I told my DN she was ok with that contrary to experience of others. I guess it must depend on each individuals requirements. I didnt realise affect of carbohydrates on BS levels initially which is why I was getting spikes. Even difference in a slice of bread. Hi-LO high fibre low fat brwon bread is just 5 grams carbs per slice, most breads are 25.00 grams plus.

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
Sorry to hear this , I really think you need medical or further health advice regarding your medication and diet ...a referral to a dietitien maybe an idea ....I don't think you should be looking at natural alternatives without getting medical advice ...best wishes Kat
I agree with Kat100 if you have had a ministroke you dont want to be taking risks, but take medical advice. The best thing you can do is to get a healthy diet sorted for you and take all the advice you can from the 100,000 forum members. Good luck.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
from memory, the gourd tablets had to be taken by bottles a day to duplicate the dose that had some effect, the search function should find it, if anyone is interested, and the effect was nothing like metformin, which is a good drug

curiosity got me :)
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/new-here-using-bitter-melon-and-diet.59831/
it's not a hoax, though it has an effect less than 1 x 1000mg metformin,

don't bother it's a waste of money
3 x 2,000mg = 6,000mg = 6,000,000mcg = tested dose...... divide by 90cmg per your tab= 66,000 tablets a day
less than 1 x 1,000mg metformin is equal to 66,000 melon tablets @ 90cmg
refer to
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21211558

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes definitely Low Carbing had decided that is what I would do and when I told my DN she was ok with that contrary to experience of others. I guess it must depend on each individuals requirements. I didnt realise affect of carbohydrates on BS levels initially which is why I was getting spikes. Even difference in a slice of bread. Hi-LO high fibre low fat brwon bread is just 5 grams carbs per slice, most breads are 25.00 grams plus.

@beatdise Have you tried the Livlife bread .Much nicer than Hi-Lo bread and even lower in calories and carbs :) http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/LivLife-Low-Carbs-Seriously-Seeded-Loaf/96565011

skas246

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all that have responded. The initial anxiety is beginning to settle down now as I learn more and I have already changed my diet and slowly began to exercise within my tolerance levels. My blood glucose is also trending downwards and is an average of 6.7 mol over the last week. I have started mindfulness meditation and generally learning to try and
Let go of as much stress as possible and what I cannot let go, to think about differently so the it does not affect me to the level of raising my blood sugars.

skas246

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello again,

Well, I am back again to update you all!! My latest A1C is 6.5 so naturally I am chuffed to bits. still getting to grips with Carbs and how they eefect my post-prandials spikes, especially after breakfast, so decided to cut out ll cereals and just have backed beans, eggs and may be one slice of toast with olive oil spread. my averages pre and post-meals (2 hours latr0 are running in the mid 5 - 6.0 mmol, so my next A1c should be below 6.0%. MY Doctor says that i am doing well. I have come off teh metformin and I am trying to manage tis via diet alone with natural suplements like Bitter Melon. I am happy to ay that i am beginning to get teh hang of this though i must admit it is still hard work. I have also ,lost 16 pounds in weight, whihc helps tremendously.

previous entry was Nov 1 was as follows:

Hi All

Much thanks

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations on your achievements to date