BYETTA

Jude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Anyone use Byetta?

Hello Vivkaroo

Dont worry yourself I am far from upset that you thought I was male - you have not done anything wrong - I just thought I would put the record straight. 8)

Jude :roll:

vivkaroo

Dislikes
Grumpy people, being bored, Bad weather. smoking

hey jude cheers if your happy i am being 2 LOVELY LADIES :lol: Never mind sad songs :lol: you gotta have a laugh your long time gone we will be like models soon me and you jude or we should be with all this information got a confession to make had 2 squares choc felt sick after it that will teach me not good for the byetta just a little slip off the wagon but back on now dont think (SIR DENNIS) :lol: would be pleased with me it was cadburys as well oh welll another day tommorow i will be good night all vivkaroo xx

vivkaroo

Dislikes

I was a beatles fan loved them still do but i get your meaning i gotta watch what i say now :lol: vivkaroo (hey i might be a man you never know) x

vivkaroo

Dislikes

HIYA DENNIS going well nearly 2 weeks bit sickness yesterday but i was bit naughty had a bun but then allowed a treat now and then but wont do that again other wise no sickness feeling ok back at my healthy eating club tuesday like to loose bit more if only a pound having to buy less bread been having ryvitas instead dont know if they alright vedge every night soups homemade and few bran flakes in morning ibs has settled down great 2 glucoghage and byetta bloods between 5 and 7 big change after 12 feel great hope this keeps upbit of a down side though think i might have to have big toenail off its gone ingrown suppose this might be to do with diabetics well we have these things sent to try us no more stillettos have to keep to flatties now no chance of finding a new love now in my flatties :lol: never mind night all

Jude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Hello Vivkaroo and others

Went for my annual diabetic review last wednesday (6 months late!) - I see our practice nurse for that. Prior to seeing her I spoke to the DSNs and they have agreed that I can start on Byetta - she said that the insulin was not giving me the improvement I need so I am waiting now to speak to her again and will probably need to see her. She said that my practice nurse could start me but my practice nurse said she would rather the DSNs sorted it for me as I am "difficult" - in the nicest possible way of course!!
So I will be needed advice and guidance from those of you who have been on Byetta a while. Will keep you updated. I did not want to start until later next week anyway because on Monday & Wednesday we are having our four grandchildren to stay (12, 10, 9 & 7). :?

Keep smiling. Jude :lol:

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble

Jude,

Anything you are not sure of, just ask and we'll do our best to help.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Jude said:
So I will be needed advice and guidance from those of you who have been on Byetta a while. Will keep you updated. I did not want to start until later next week anyway because on Monday & Wednesday we are having our four grandchildren to stay (12, 10, 9 & 7). :?

Keep smiling. Jude :lol:

Jude.

Just a heads up from another 'lizard spit' user. Welcome to the club. :D

With 4 grandchildren coming to stay :) I think I would be looking to book a last minute holiday somewhere nice and peaceful !!! 8)

Ken :wink:

Jude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Ken - no, will need the holiday after they have been!! They are lovely though and it doesnt seem five minutes since the eldest was born so another five minutes and they will all be grown up. :lol:

Dennis - I noticed when you started this thread you said that you were buying the byetta yourself - have you now got it on prescription? - I do hope so.

Jude 8)

Desmac2

Dennis, I`ve just completed my first week on Byetta and I am already seeing and feeling the benefits. My diabetic nurse said everyone feels nauseous when starting, but thankfully, I have not.
I only hope that when I move up to the 10 microgram dose in 3 weeks that it is still the case.
I am uncomfortable (literally) injecting my abdomen and I cannot seem to pinch enough muscle on my thigh.
Are there any crafty places I haven`t thought of to administer this? Upper arm seems to need 3 hands to do.
Incidently, I am in Northern Ireland and Byetta seems to be freely available to all post codes. desmac2

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Hi desmac2

Not everybody is nauseous. Lot's of people don't get that effect. I never had any problems when I started or since. It is an individual thing.

As for the injections, I presume you are using the 0.25mm (31G) x 8mm needles ?
Providing you have a bit of fat to pinch on the abdomen you shouldn't have a problem.

Although the Amlyn leaflet states to use upper arms it is not usually recommended here. There is a 5mm length needle as well which may help. With the right needles, and you should find it is also better to sit down and pinch the flesh it should be painless ? The needles are so fine. You may need to check your technique ?

As for availability, it's all down to the guidelines and local PCT criteria.

Hope you get on well with it in the future. It has been a godsend to me and does everything it says on the tin.

Good luck.
Ken. :D

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hello Jude,

I had to get it on private prescription from my consultant for the first 6 months as my GP was reluctant to prescribe on the NHS without proof that it would work (I was then and still am the only patient in my GP's practice on Byetta). After 6 months the consultant wrote to my GP confirming that it was working well, bringing both my weight and BS down and he had been able to reduce the other meds, so it was time for my GP to take over. From that point on I have had it on NHS prescription, thank goodness because it was costing me £100 a month!

Hi Desmac and welcome to the forum.

If you have managed a week without any nausea symptoms then it is very unlikely you will get them now. Can't guarantee though that you won't suffer a bit on moving up to the 10mcg dose, but again that is also unlikely if you don't get them on the 5 level pen. It seems strange that women seem to suffer the nausea symptoms more than men do. I have asked Eli Lilly if they had any reaearch on this but they said it hadn't occurred to them to check. I have my own pet theory that men, in the main, seem to opt for spicier foods that women do, so our gastric systems are more accustomed to being challenged! Let us know how you get on.

vivkaroo

Dislikes

hi jude have i got that right you might be going on byetta if thats right i am very pleased for you i love this site best thing i found as dennis is very helpful as are others too i love it on here i did 9months on byetta then came off just gone back on better 2nd time no sickness i feel real good i have cut my carbs a lot though good luck jude vivkaroox

vivkaroo

Dislikes

hi desmac 2
vivkaroo here i use same needles as dennis suggests i cant do them in thigh my thighs are like beanpoles go for the belly bit fat there what i do is put near to my skin just gently touch if it feels sharp you no what i mean i try another place i think someone on this site gave me that bit advice it does work its if you hit them little fine blood vessels it bruises a bit well it does with meiwas told anywhere below belly button but that might depend were your belly button is if you know what i mean :lol: any way good luck

Denis

Hi everyone, Denis with 1 n here

On my third month on Byetta now, and still have the sickly periods but not so bad as when I first started, it does seem to help if you eat right after injectin.

Anyway one question, from what I understand on Byetta it works by stimulating the pancres into making more insulin, when you inject, the Byetta goes into a layer of fat, how does it travel around the body and to the pancres, and how fast,

Come on Den with 2 ns you gotta now this one.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hi Denis,

Nice to see you back, but sorry to hear you are still suffering a bit. I just hope it eventually settles down for you.

I don't mind answering questions when I know the answer! And in this case I do. Firstly you shouldn't be injecting into fat. The idea is to inject subcutaneously, i.e. between the fat and muscle layers. This is why it is important to use the right length of needle for whichever part of the body you are injecting into, to ensure that you are getting under the fat layer. The injected liquid is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream where it is quickly carried to the pancreas. It will generally hits the pancreas in less than 2 minutes after injection. If you have injected into the fat layer then it will just take a bit longer to be absorbed into the bloodstream, and not all of it may be absorbed.

The pancreas recognises the hormone that is present in Byetta as it's signal to do two things:
- to start what is called "first phase" insulin production
- to stop asking the liver to produce glucose.
The small intestine in the stomach also recognises the hormone as it's signal to slow down the rate of digestion. This in turn slows down the rate at which any carb that you eat gets converted into glucose, so means that your body's insulin is able to deal with the glucose at a steady pace instead of being swamped by a sudden rise in glucose.

stuartclose

A Byetta success story from me.

18 months ago I weighed 14 stone and was prescribed Byetta.

Today at my 6 monthly check up with my Consultant I have been told not to lose anymore weight - whoopie, things have all gone in the right direction with the exception of a few hiccups, I now weigh 10 stone. My hbaic 6.5 and my average bs 5.2

Thanks to Dennis for his advice and encouragement, I read the Byetta notes every day to see how things are going.

Good luck to everyone.

Pauline

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Pauline.

That's fantastic - well done. Another success from the 'spit.'

good luck for your future.

Ken. :D :D

Pumpkin

I am now about to start my second week on strength 10 byetta having gone throught the obligatory 30 days on strength 5. That first dose was fine and I only suffered one attack of mild nausea in those 30 days. However since moving on to 10 strength I have felt rotten this last seven days; bloated, stomach aches, nauseous, dizzy, very tired, and feeling cold - plus mighty constipated.
That aside I am losing weight and my BS are falling nicely - so it is working!
For how long have people found these side affects to continue on this higher dose, please?

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Hi pumpkin.
Don't like to rub it in but as Dennis said a while ago I think this is a man thing.

Women seem to suffer the most as we men seem to have a more robust stomach !! :)

I never had any problems although I think the time between injecting and eating can have an effect ?
Stick with it and you will be mighty pleased with the results. :D

Ken

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hi Pumpkin,

Everyone has a different tolerance towards Byetta so the length of time that side effects are seen tends to vary. In most cases the effects on the higher dose aren't as marked as they are on the lower dose. However, you seem to have suffered very little at the lower dose and more at the higher dose. So the short answer in your case is - I don't know!