A question for low carbing ladies..

Sam1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am really struggling today as I am craving carbs like mad....it's that time.... and i'm not sure how to get rid of the cravings without giving in....any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to have a couple of squares of dark chocolate - 70% or higher? I used to drink a lot of water too. If I was really desperate I kicked the husband (we don't have a cat). :)

Reactions: 5 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find a couple of squares of dark chocolate ( 85%) helps- I sometimes have a soya latte when out and about and that seems to curb any cravings too. The longer you can deny the cravings, the easier it gets. A piece of cheese and a slice of cooked meat also helps me when I feel like weakening.

Reactions: 2 people

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Find something that you really like that's not a carb and pig out a little. For me I would make a tomatoe and cucumber salad with olives and feta cheese covered in olive oil. Or maybe have something naughty like berries and cream that way your head will think your having what you crave...

Reactions: 4 people

Sam1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks.... I thought about the chocolate but tbh i'm not sure I would have the will power to have a couple of squares at the moment. Ended up having full fat cream cheese and cucumber sticks....not quite the chicken and mushroom pastie thats my usual go to....but it did the trick :)

Reactions: 6 people

Winifred12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks.... I thought about the chocolate but tbh i'm not sure I would have the will power to have a couple of squares at the moment. Ended up having full fat cream cheese and cucumber sticks....not quite the chicken and mushroom pastie thats my usual go to....but it did the trick :)
I'm feeling the same, just had cheese and pickles!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think I get proper carby cravings any more - but generally if I'm getting a migraine, or I'm very tired or hungry, I find a bit of a low carb/fatty treat instead of a carby sugary one can help me, so for example:
  • thick cream with a couple of strawberries
  • low carb "Bounty bars" - I use a microwaved variation of the recipe posted here
  • one piece of 85% cocoa dark chocolate
  • a small almond or hazelnut chocolate cookie
  • and I often just have a spoon full of almond or peanut butter straight from the jar which is a really quick fix!
There are all sorts of recipes for various treats, low carb fat or nut balls, etc, if you search in our low carb recipes thread, or do a Google search, and these should help too.

Robbity

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whipped cream, (whip up 1 tablespoonful), add a spoonful Greek yoghurt, 10 frozen berries, a spoonful of toasted flaked almonds, 10g grated 90% chocolate. Decadent but beats the carb cravings a treat. :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coffee with cream
Berries n cream
Pork scratchings
Ham with cream cheese
Low carb hot choc (cocoa powder, sweetener and cream)

Basically, the ONLY thing that ever gets rid of carb cravings, for me, is eating enough fat.
And that works like magic!

Reactions: 3 people

Sam1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whipped cream, (whip up 1 tablespoonful), add a spoonful Greek yoghurt, 10 frozen berries, a spoonful of toasted flaked almonds, 10g grated 90% chocolate. Decadent but beats the carb cravings a treat. :)
Oh wow that sounds good! Thank you.

Sam1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Coffee with cream
Berries n cream
Pork scratchings
Ham with cream cheese
Low carb hot choc (cocoa powder, sweetener and cream)

Basically, the ONLY thing that ever gets rid of carb cravings, for me, is eating enough fat.
And that works like magic!

Have the pork scratchings ready for tonight... :) must admit Fat does seem to work.... A couple of cubes of cheese did the trick earlier.

Reactions: 4 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

You're probably unlikely to want to eat a lot of this at once. It's an acquired taste, especially 80%+. I didn't like it at first when I started low-carbing, but now enjoy it, one square with coffee, say, or one square as in the 'recipe' I make for a dessert or a craving-crusher (above). The higher the cocoa content, the lower the carb. It's not sickly like some of the standard versions of dark chocolate either, some of which which tend to have a lower cocoa ratio.

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@lizdeluz OMG this sounds fabulous - will have to try this out

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have the pork scratchings ready for tonight... :) must admit Fat does seem to work.... A couple of cubes of cheese did the trick earlier.
Yes the fat should work because you're essentially replacing the carbs you've stopped eating with fat for (at least some of!) your energy source.

As you're seeing you can eat the good for diabetics "tasties" without having to resort to carbohydrates. We have a lady on the forum who has taken low carb baking to great heights!

Robbity

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
For even more healthy chocolate and a bit of coconut oil - melt 100 gram proper dark chocolate 85% or more, mix in 100 - 200 gram coconut oil add a little sweetener if you need. To get bit size pieces, use a spoon for the mix and add to a silicone mould with nice little shapes.