Another Newcastle Diet

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Go Douglas! Hugs!

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It is all down hill from here douglas so keep going. You could try and find a more protein/fat shake instead of carb as that will help with the ketosis although you are probably burning it nicely. Have you tested with any keto sticks?

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am not sure this is something I could handle. Good luck and be careful.

Reactions: 3 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@douglas99 I am just nicely concerned or interested in your comments "I'm certainly glad I got the dive trips out of the way first," & "I'm going to be converting those muscles, and the internal fat into energy,"
I am guessing you dive in deep water etc; so I would think you need good lungs and strong muscles, (good idea to turn internal fat into energy).
I suppose My question is? Would this diet affect your sport activities short term or even long term.
( my interest is in connection with coaching )
Best of luck and keep it up until you achieve your mission.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@izzzi
The short answer is, yes short term.
Any calorie deficient diet will force your body to use protein and fat. Protein is easier to burn, so the muscles will suffer.

This diet is heavily deficient, so I do expect to suffer short term.
The first week I felt washed out half way through, but I expected that, so made sure I wasn't doing much.
I certainly wouldn't have liked to have been underwater!

It's got better, I am exercising again, and it's a short term diet, so muscle wastage shouldn't be bad overall.
I also intend to up my protein when I come off my diet, (no kidney problems), and again target the gym and exercise.

At the moment I'm not overly outwardly fat (anymore), (XXL to M) I do have reasonable muscle tone, but I want to have a go at the hidden internal fat, so even though I probably look 'healthy' I intend to push it a bit, in fact I reckon I'm going to look very skinny when I lose the 7kg I'm targeting. (But if I have any internal fat then, it's never going to go)
And then I intend to target how it goes back on, as I will be back to increasing muscle weight, so I reckon the 7kgs will be back, just not as any fat.
So long term I think I will be in a better overall condition.
Thanks for that, I glad that muscle wastage should not be affected long term.
Somehow I don't think you are going to get into deep-water over this diet.:D

whatdoesthisbuttondo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You seem well able to stick to the rgours of the diet, Douglas. What are your targets, or do you aim to complete the 8 weeks and see what turns up?
I stopped after 5 weeks as I hit my targets and apart from one Kilo back on, Ive maintained the results for a month or so now.

Good Luck!

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Douglas, you seem to be doing amazingly well. I am not sure I have the will-power for this type of diet restriction. I love your positive outlook about food, and was an avid reader of your other thread as well. Its seems that diabetes has really give you a whole new outlook on life which I hope will be catching. So thank you for sharing your results and your thoughts.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Douglas - do you know you have 'hidden' fat left to lose? I was just wondering if you had ever had scans to show up visceral fat? (I haven't) Also as you say your BG's seem to stay pretty much in the 'normal' range now, wouldn't that indicate that maybe the visceral fat has gone already?

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The weight loss has slowed slightly, but is still continuing downwards.

I really am surprised at what must have been my normal routine with food though. as I tended to eat on a little and often pattern, now I haven't got the snacks, I feel like I should be eating between meals, but then realise I'm not really hungry, it's habit.
That's not to say I don't still get hungry sometimes, I'd be lieing if I said I didn't, even after two weeks, but it's manageable to put it off until the next meal.

My fasting levels seem to have taken a turn downwards, 3.8 this morning, now they regularly seem to be in the high 3's, low 4's.

Now this is really odd though, as it's noticeably repeatable.
I'm testing my reaction to the shake after half an hour, as it's a reasonable, if not excessive, amount of carbs.

First reading, 8.8
Walk to the kitchen, wash my hands, 7.4

I've had the same sort of result on previous tests, with exactly the same circumstances.

So, I wonder what's going on?

I doubt it's contamination, especially today, as I was careful beforehand.
I can't be catching a falling peak everytime, as I'm not that accurate to the half hour, and it's about 2 minutes between test and re test.
It's no great exercise to walk the few metres to the kitchen.

So I've repeated the test, again washing my hands and it's 8.3.

Now, I know some people will be thinking that's too high, but I'm not stressed by that number, as it's not a food, or an amount of sugar I'll be eating again, (normally) and it's a very small spike above the 'normal' range, for minutes, and it's an instant hit of pure sugar in liquid form. It's also way before I should be testing anyway for the two hour mark. It's the pattern that surprises me.

If it was a one off, I could say it's the meter/strips accuracy.
But it's repeatable.
I'm high,
I move, and the reading falls, and it has been of similar figures each time, and of the same magnitude for the decrease.

Also, it doesn't seem to matter where I start, I peak into the same region, in the 8's, so I seem to have a ceiling, not an uncontrolled surge, or a constant rise of a set number of points from where I started at.
Then I fall into the 7's as soon as I move.

Then, oddly (but this is the first time I've done it), I seem to rise again.

So the simple act of standing up, and washing my hands seems to be enough to decrease my BG by about a point or more, then sitting down increases it again.
I have noticed the first part before, and mentioned it in my 'blog' with other foods. I put it down to the simple exercise, but not I'm not so sure.

So, I am at a loss really, there does appear to be a bit of see sawing going on, I need to get that see sawing down a point overall, if I want to polish the 1//2 mark a bit.

As previously though, while sitting down, typing that, after an hour, I'm at 7.1, so that spike, was really only a few minutes, well before I should have been testing anyway, so then again maybe everyone wobbles like that, there's is no real data on it that I can find, (and I'm going to stop testing for a while, as I am starting to look like I've had a bad encounter with a cactus).
Just out of curiosity, I washed hand and tested. 7.5 then walked back to kitchen washed hands again then with new needle etc; retest revealed 8.1.
Not to sure if this info; helps, as I just had breakfast. However the time gap between the test was 70 seconds. ( I know meters can vary etc)

If this Newcastle diet is working well, and you have commitments in the next few weeks regarding your fitness. Will you have to make some kind of change to be prepared for those events.

I think your on to something good in what your doing.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Douglas I find I go up to a level now (8.1) and generally sit at that level for a period and then come down. If I exercise I will bring it down but it does pop back up as you are seeing. I have put this down to a corrected feedback loop with my body now properly controlling the rate of digestion of the carbs into glucose. This was obviously deficient previously as it would let my system spike up and now it doesnt. I wrote about this in a previous post where I have chicken, chips, bread and butter pudding, custard,... and I stayed from 1 to 3 hours at 8.1 and then 10 mins after the 3 hours I was in the 5s with no exercise. I think this may be what you are seeing. By using some glucose it allows your body to provide you with a little more and therefore the see-saw. Well that is my hypothosis

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Not with lucozade but I have eaten liquorice, cola bottles, halva etc. Don't forget you have to bring your carb levels back to "normal" before doing it. I just don't pig out on them when I do have them like I used to (ie eat a whole bag of wine gums in one go).

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Saint Emilion , that is medicine at its best.
Have you experienced mood swings to a noticeable scale.
Putting weight to one side,I can still see a cleanse benefit to the pancreas and kidneys etc; from your diet.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Are you asking me @izzzi? When I did the very low calorie phase I did notice that I really quickly moved to a state that when I laid down my stomach would collapse in so that it was below my ribs even though I still had a lot of fat under the skin (large waist). Generally my stomach went from a hard mass to a soft foam ball. I am pretty sure that meant that I had driven off all the fat from my liver and pancreas

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry @Andrew Colvin I should have referred it to @douglas99, I am following Douglas's Newcastle with great interest.
Mind you Andrew you have given me great info from your post and threads,thanks for that.
The angle I am coming from is that I never had a weight issue when I was diagnosed with Diabetes type 2, Therefore I did not have to reduce weight to control my diabetes. yet like most people, previous to my diagnoses I was eating junk food.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes Douglas I have the same - I have absolutely no fat on my hands, feet, arms, legs, bum or head and the only fat I have left is just under the skin on my torso. That is much harder to shake so it seems and I still have quite a lot of it.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting that you talk about weight loss on feet and wrists etc. I'm big framed even though only 5 ft 3 and 1/2 and can't remember when I could last span my wrist- I now can. I have also lost about half a size in shoes since May- I've not yet dropped to the calorie levels of the ND, but think I'll give it a go in New Year to shift final weight.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No, I don't know to be honest.
I am at the top end of my BMI, but I do know I have a big frame, I am heavy boned, and quite muscular.
But I also still have areas of fat on my body, so I am carrying some.
My BG was reasonable before, greatly improved on diagnosis certainly after my last diet, but not 'perfect'
I went past the 15% weight loss, in fact it was about 25%, but didn't see the reversal.

I can see my effort with the Newcastle diet as somewhat of a contradiction in what I say my philosophy on my approach to diabetes is.
I don't want to let diabetes dictate what I do, but seem to have given up my life to reversing diabetes at the moment.

But really, I see the Newcastle diet as one more tool. I want to use it.
I planned it into my schedule this year, and it was always going to slot nicely into this 4 week period, as I figure if I haven't lost any remaining fat in that time, it's either not there, or it''s staying forever.
Other things are coming along in December as well, so it's got to draw to a conclusion before then.
If it doesn't work, I was happy before, so I haven't lost anything, if it does show any improvement, it's more information, I can, indeed, we all can use.
I won't make any great change in my diet either way, but I have learnt that this diet, while not sustainable, has enabled me to stop the diabetes medication, which will be good information down the line, if I do need to consider increases to it, and I know a change of diet will give a positive response.
So I am empowered by it.
(I'm also looking forward to the Christmas food, which I suspect will be starting early, and I have a nice bottle of Saint Emilion waiting in the kitchen for the weekend when I finish)
Douglas

Well done on your efforts. I did wonder if you meant it when you said you would do Newcastle diet in November. I should not have doubted you.

A word of caution: when you stop Newcastle, do it gradually. Reintroduce foods slowly, especially the carb stuff, including alcohol.

For anyone contemplating Newcastle diet, but doesn't want total food replacement method, then I suggest the products available online 'Shake that Weight'. These were recommended to me by forum member @paulins, who has been very successful on Newcastle diet, having lost 8 stones and apparently reversed her diabetes. I recommend the 'Shake that Weight' products too. I have used Lipotrim TFR, and Tesco VLCD brands in the past very successfully, but the Shake that weight products are lower carb, lower calorie, bigger variety, cheaper, and you are still able to eat a normal meal and remain below 800 calorie threshold.