Maybe a Diabetic!

premiere

Please go easy...this is my first post. Sorry, its a long one!!

In the last 6 months or so, my eyesight (previously excellent) seems to have taken a sudden turn for the worse. My close sight is still perfect, but my distance is really blurry (although much worse at work). Went to the Opticians and they prescribed distance glasses.

In amongst all that, I had to go to the Doctor to have my blood pressure checked (have suffered stress recently) and have a fasting blood test. The BP was a little high (turned out to be White Coat Syndrome as I have a huge fear of needles). I had been recording blood pressures at home and they were normal and the doctor accepted that. Went back a week later for the results of the Fasting Test and was told all Ok except Cholesterol was a tad high at 5.5 and I was then told I could have Type 2 Diabetes!! They did not give my reading. They requested I go back in another month for another Fasting Test.

After reading about the condition, I started exercising again and have cut out some sugar (no longer have sugar in Coffee etc). I also purchased a home Meter (Accchek?) with Strips, needles etc etc and have been monitoring myself at random during the day over a number of weeks. My reading range from 4.5 to 8.0 mmol. I had a reading of 8 first thing this morning (at 6:30) and hadn't eaten or drunk anything since 10pm the night before. Now really worried I may have Type 2 or it could be Pre-Diabetes?

My weight is reducing (has dropped 9lbs). Now at 15 stone 13lb. I do not smoke, am not a drinker, am 46 years old (no comments please)

Does anyone know whether Diabetes causes blurred vison both closeup and distance at the same time, or does having just blurred distance make any sense?

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Premier,

Welcome to the forum.

Eyesight changes may occur because pressure changes in the eye due to poor blood glucose management affect the shape of the lens. This effect will subside as blood glucose management improves.

Regards, Tubs.

sandymaynard

Hi there
First welcome to the forum!
Okay you say you are 46, have you got any other syptom's other than the blurred vision?
i have poor eyesight that is getting worse but that is not linked to the diabettes! usually the eye guy or woman, sorry can't spell the name! can sometimes pick up if someone has diabetes!
is there family history or anything?
i am sorry i don't know much about the condition, have only been recently diagnoised myself, last week! My mum is insulin dependant!
I would ask for a earlier fasting test, that is what i did! I was not meant to have another one for 3 months, but things got worse and i asked for a closer appointment and got the test results!
Hence type 2!
there are much better people on here that could give better advice than me!

premiere

Hi everyone. Thanks for the replies.

I have no other symptoms apart from the distance eyesight issue, but that could be that I just need glasses (age creeping up on me). The optician never mentioned diabetes.

nessa-lou

Dislikes
my injections
im type 1 but when my sugars are high i get blurred vision in both directions, the optician probably didn't think about diabetes, they may just think your eyes are weakening, your bloods dont seem to high though hmm...so as sandy said i'd ask for an early test, and i suppose for the time being act like you are diabetic and see if you see an improvement, like u said cut the sugar out. being type 1 it is difficult for me to advice you on your diet as its different for me but from what i have gathered from previous post, low carbs or brown carbs are a good option, see how it goes and see if your eyes get better. just because you only have blurred vision doesnt mean you cant be diabetic as the symptoms can come at different stages, dont worry though you might just have a bit of blurred vision and everything is fine :) good luck i hope that rant made sense haha x

Trinkwasser

Try doing some more intensive testing, particularly after eating

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/10/d-day.html

your number currently look "prediabetic" which means with a little work you can hopefully slow down or stop the progression, which is NOT inevitable. You may be spiking high around an hour after eating then dropping back fairly rapidly: such spikes may be one reason many people actaully have significant diabetic complications by the time they are diagnosed.

I had a history of eye infections and inflammation (one doctor wrote "Again with the strange blinking behaviour!") which has completely cleared up with BG control. Blurred vision is not uncommon, and your eyesight may change as you get BG control so it's not a good time to buy new glasses. My optician reckons my arms have grown shorter but no more than would be expected simply from the ageing process.