Hair Loss

garryd69

My two year old son, who has now been diagnosed for about six weeks, has started losing his hair slightly. Is this to do with the medication or lack of vitamins, as he does have a sickness bug just now and it's difficult to get him to eat any food?

Alliballi

All I can tell you is that I lost hair when first diagnosed.. I had long hair at that time, and although I didn't have any bald patches I lost lots & lots when brushing, washing and it was all over my pillow in the mornings....It took a few months to get back to normal, and seeing that I am a hairdresser when I got back to work I had my hair cut short, and that helped..

Hope my post is of some help to you :)

purplekat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, X Factor (and all similar shows), soaps (corrie, east enders etc), hot weather
Thanks Alliballi, your post reassures me a bit too - I've been losing hair daily for the last year or so, it appears to be evenly throughout, mainly when brushing (and especially after washing). I've reached the stage where I'm going to admit defeat and get it cut a lot shorter, hopefully it'll look thicker then.
Just wish I knew what specifically was causing the hair loss - the possible lack of vitamins, side effect if your body not working as well due to diabetes, or something else entirely!

Alliballi

garryd69 said:
Yes thanks it does. He goes back to consultant tomorrow so hopefully get some answers from them.

Good Luck, and will be interested to hear what the consultant says as I never asked :)

Alliballi

purplekat said:
Just wish I knew what specifically was causing the hair loss - the possible lack of vitamins, side effect if your body not working as well due to diabetes, or something else entirely!

I really dont know either, I never asked why this happened to me! :? I just assumed it was the changes diabetes caused in your system due to be out of control to then being put on insulin and getting everything in control...I suppose if your body is all out of sync this would could cause the hair loss problem....I also had problems with my eye sight in that I didnt need to wear my lenses as my eye sight went near perfect without them!! :shock: But this also went back to normal a few months after once I started on insulin...Weird!!!

I've been a diabetic now for 32 years, and all my checks are good as is my hair, and my eye sight tests too :D

Good Luck to you all with everything :D

flavialee

I am using MediGro Hair Loss Treatment for my hair loss & I noticed the difference after 8 weeks and my hair has continued to flourish ever since. You can also try MediGro Hair Loss Treatment for this. MediGro prevent Hair loss due to a medical disorder or a prescribed medication & it provides the essential proteins needed to nourish thinning hair and to encourage existing hair growth.

hairreplace

There are many causes of scalp hair loss, and they do differ in men and women. This article will cover the common ones. Studies show that losing up to 100-150 hairs per day is normal. Human hair naturally grows in three phases: anagen, catagen, and telogen. Anagen is the active or growing phase. Catagen is a fairly short phase of the natural hair cycle during which hairs begin to break down. Telogen is the resting phase. The hairs that are shed daily are often in the resting or late phase in the hair cycle. Normally, about 10% of the scalp hairs are in the resting or telogen phase at any time. These hairs are not growing and are getting prepared for cyclic shedding.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hello all...
Just a curious question to you all on this topic.
Are any of you using a STATIN medication ????
Please do reply and let me know.
Anna.

garryd69

Hi all....

Nathans' hair stopped falling out after about a month which was great news. The consultant could only say it was a side affect of the initial illness and couldn't be definate.

Not using STATIN medication Anna

janeliz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Shopping, smoking
Hello all...
Just a curious question to you all on this topic.
Are any of you using a STATIN medication ????
Please do reply and let me know.
Anna.
Hi Anna I take statins. I went on insulin in July this year after acute severe pancreatitis. My hair started to fall out about a month ago. I put it down to serious illness. I was in hospital 5 weeks on virtually no nutrition. Hair is still falling out now . I take multivitamins . recommended by a hairdresser.

Shazza74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Wet weather
Hi Anna

I was diagnosed as T1 in May this year and was in hospital with DKA. I lost approx half of my hair. It was put down to high BS for too long a period. I got it cut up to my chin and now my hair is growing all over. It will take time. At the minute the new hair is about 1.5 inches long.

It will take time but it will hopefully grow back!

dia21

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I think he loss his hairs cause of his diagnose. If he is not able to eat anything give him liquid diet which is plenty of vitamins.