Has anyone had hair loss?

Stephanie.F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm a newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic since being diagnosed I've had a lot more frequent hair loss then usual, I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this as it's starting to worry me.
Whenever I wash or brush or even touch my hair it seems to just fall off into my hand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I've been the same, only realised it was the diabetes once if been diagnosed though. Every time I go in shower my hair blocks the plughole

Stephanie.F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah that's what happens to me and even just drying it makes it come out did it subside eventually?

D

Deleted member 83869

I have been diabetic since 2008 and mine is exactly the same! I hate it!! x

D

Deleted member 83869

Just found this.....

Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease: abnormal functioning of the immune system causes it to produce white blood cells to attack the body's own tissues. When white blood cells attack growing cells in the hair follicles, the follicle cells become small and hair production slows. This can cause hair from the scalp, eyelashes, eyebrows, and body hair to fall out, known as alopecia areata

Reactions: 4 people
D

Deleted member 83869

how-does-diabetes-affect-my-hair-growth.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

Yes , I am type 2 but my hair is just about getting back to normal again ..
Ongoing problem with aneminia , low b12 levels and malabsorption problems ....thyroid etc ....
When body does not function my hair just falls out and goes really thin......
It is just getting more me again now with help of iron top ups ...
Awful problem to cope with ...
I have found hair washing products which seem to help me now ...

Stephanie.F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you that's very useful, it's such a nightmare you'd think having diabetes was enough to deal with

K

Kat100

Thank you that's very useful, it's such a nightmare you'd think having diabetes was enough to deal with
There is an oil called argum oil it is from Morocco ...it repairs hair after washing ...
There is the shampoo and conditioner as well ...
I find the leave in oil really good ...not cheap but you do only need a drop.....

Reactions: 6 people

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
How long have you been diagnosed Stephanie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know how long it takes to go back to normal, I've only been diagnosed two months and it's still falling out :( one of the many issues with having diabetes

victry77

Look up Telogen Effluvium and see if you relate.

It sounds pretty much like what I had after diagnosis and is your body's way of responding to stress (the physical stress your body has been under with high BG levels and the mental stress of diagnosis could easily be responsible). It did subside with me and I've had no problems since.

Stephanie.F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh charlottlelucy I've only been diagnosed 3 months hopefully it stops soon!
Thanks victry I've just looked it up it does sound like that's what it could be I'm seeing my diabetic nurse next Friday so I'll speak to her about it

D

Deleted member 83869

Ohhh I love Aussie hair products I'll have to go back to them and see if that helps thanks
Get all the miracle hair treatment stuff and the 3 minute stuff makes my hair feel so nice!

How you coping with diabetes?:) x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
There is an oil called argum oil it is from Morocco ...it repairs hair after washing ...
There is the shampoo and conditioner as well ...
I find the leave in oil really good ...not cheap but you do only need a drop.....

Some of the argum oil sprays in homebargains and lidls a few weeeks ago are really cheap..99p.

I use coconut oil and argum spray on my hair. Since growing my hair it has fallen out so much I had to buy a haircatcher for the plugholes. It has an amazing amount of loss still. I just thought that when it was short short, I just never noticed the hair falling out.

The coconut and argum oils keep it in amazing softness and shine though, but hasn't stopped hair loss yet.....

Coconut oil always brushed through oil pre bath and the argum sprays every morning as they dont have to be washed out.

Stephanie.F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Get all the miracle hair treatment stuff and the 3 minute stuff makes my hair feel so nice!

How you coping with diabetes?:) x

I'll go get some the weekend :)
I'm doing ok with it thanks it's only just sinking it that's I'll be injecting forever though and some days it takes me ages to build up the courage to inject how long have you had it? X

Thanks everyone for your comments it's made me feel better I thought I was the only one with this problem