Abnormal liver function levels

babyboscher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone!

I'm hoping someone can help me!

I am a type 1 diabetic and have been for 9 years. Last year I was hospitalised twice with DKA and it wasn't until my second time that my doctor said that my liver function was abnormal. Since then I've had blood tests to keep an eye on it and my liver function level has still remained fairly raised. It's now coming up to a year and for 2 months my liver function was almost normal but now my levels have raised again. It has seemed to become more of a concern at my appointments to keep checking.

Does anyone know what could be the problem or what might be happening? Is it a complication from my diabetes or is it something completely irrelevant??

I don't know what to do so I'm hoping someone can help me please.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not too sure to be honest if it's related to your diabetes, what does your diabetes consultant say?

tammy37

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi I'm type 2 and i have had liver function tests that have been abnormal the doctor as said it's fatty liver and nothing too serious. They just monitor it xx

babyboscher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Not too sure to be honest if it's related to your diabetes, what does your diabetes consultant say?

They haven't said anything regard to my diabetes but they just keep checking it but not saying much. However they do seem quite worried about it :(

Paulabetts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
meat selfish people slugs and snails
I had nafld non alcoholic fatty liver disease for a few years but as my weight came down it improved I no have normal readings Im type 2

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would ask your nurse to explain the results to you.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have suffered with high liver function, fatty liver, high cholestrol, high BP. - till I started low carbing.
Now I haven't!!
I also weigh a lot less and feel great!

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been type 1 for 18 years and have also been told my liver function is high. It was put down to having fatty liver and that was it. I'm perfect weight for my height but I don't low carb so maybe that's the reason. If in doubt then ask your doctors.

auraura

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, l am type 1 and after abnormal lft's was diagnosed with primary biliary cirrhosis another autoimmune condition which has a link with type 1 diabetes. I was told by my consultant l had a confused immune system! But you can have abnormal lft results without anything developing from them, so try not to worry too much.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
They haven't said anything regard to my diabetes but they just keep checking it but not saying much. However they do seem quite worried about it :(

Try not to worry, at least they are keeping an eye on things and will no doubt do regular blood checks, next time you see the consultant do ask if it's diabetes related.

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone!

I'm hoping someone can help me!

I am a type 1 diabetic and have been for 9 years. Last year I was hospitalised twice with DKA and it wasn't until my second time that my doctor said that my liver function was abnormal. Since then I've had blood tests to keep an eye on it and my liver function level has still remained fairly raised. It's now coming up to a year and for 2 months my liver function was almost normal but now my levels have raised again. It has seemed to become more of a concern at my appointments to keep checking.

Does anyone know what could be the problem or what might be happening? Is it a complication from my diabetes or is it something completely irrelevant??

I don't know what to do so I'm hoping someone can help me please.
I too had similar results until I moved to a new practice. New Doctor said vitamin D levels were in my boots. Took vitamin D tablets with calcium and liver function tests were normal. Was warned that the liver may still be fatty etc just not showing up in blood test anymre