The best coconut oil?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
coconut oil also makes a great body 'lotion' for dry skin. I use it on my feet and lower legs especially.
It also prevents sweat rash in all those 'intimate' places ! Obviously use a different jar from the one you use for cooking, :roll: or decant some.
I hadn't thought of that, it has natural anti fungal/bacterial properties..online there are a lot of coconut blends for moisturisers

dia21

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
We use groovey food company organic Virgin coconut oil .. It is in a glass jar and solid .. Tastes great ... Wife uses it foe everything from food ingredient to hair conditioner and skin care .. The dogs also love it :happy:

Although i never use virgin coconut oil yet, but i think you are right it is very good product to use not only for hairs but also for cooking food.

A

AnnieC

If the extra virgin coconut oil tastes more strongly of coconut does it then make anythng you cook in it taste of coconut. I woud not want that to happen and mask the flavour of the food. The KTC one has no taste or smell at all

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If the extra virgin coconut oil tastes more strongly of coconut does it then make anythng you cook in it taste of coconut. I woud not want that to happen and mask the flavour of the food. The KTC one has no taste or smell at all
The wife cooks with it, but only things you would expect coconut flavour in .. Like curry .. She will aslo add to ice cream, she loves it on icecream .. I don't ...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I buy mine from bulkpowders, just order it when I get my big bag of coconut flour and 100% peanut butter from them.
Tried ktc rubbish and that goes in my hair and as a moisturiser for my skin now.

Reactions: 2 people

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Holland and Barrett often have "buy one get one half price" and recently had "buy one get one free". I have been using it since before I was diagnosed as a T2 last year after using "copra meal" for my rescue horse with only one eye. I could never get weight on her and then found the copra meal on the internet a few years ago. She has never looked back; looks like a different horse. The copra meal is just the flesh cooked after the oil has been extracted so is high in oil and the transformation was like a miracle. I have struggled for years trying to get her to a decent weight. When I saw what it did for her I decided it had to be good!

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I get mine from Holland and Barrett,I wait until they have the offer buy one and get one for a penny,about the middle of July next time,same goes for Flexseed.

Reactions: 2 people

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
BUMP!!!

I had to bump this old thread 'cos I just found out some interesting facts about certain Coconut Oils...

KTC Coconut Oil (the one that is most common - you can even get it in Tesco!) is "RBD" type coconut oil. RBD stands for Refined, Bleached and Deodorised. I've avoided this type in the past, because I considered is as being "processed". But I just did a little research on it, and came across this interesting article:

http://veganheath.info/ktc-coconut-oil

So - it seems to me like the (very cheap) KTC Coconut Oil is PERFECT for cooking! I'll still use the (expensive...) Organic/virgin coconut oil where I want a hint of coconut taste (in my coffee, or in Thai Green Curries, for example) but I'm really glad that I can use the cheaper type for cooking with.

Reactions: 4 people