Diabetic for 37 yrs & new to carb counting

jt31

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having problems with high bloods so dietician has told me to carb count & Change lantus from am to split am & pm. On day 3 but sugars still high apart from this morning when 8.5, had 50g to eat so took 10 units of novorapid as told 1 unit to 5g carbs but by 10 am, sugars were 20, does anyone else have same problem,, I took extra 10u only to come down by 3, this has been going on for sometime, where my insulin does not seem to work, anyone else have same problem

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It would help us if you could provide details of what you are eating, when and the insulin you are applying. It sounds very much as though you aren't taking enough insulin, but without further information, it's difficult to tell.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How are your injection sites? Maybe you need to change them.

Was your lantus increased?

Was your carb ratio calculated using a formula? If so, this is just a guide - the ratio might need some adjustment.

Could your insulin be "off"?

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi jt,
I've been type 1 for 29 years and I've also had times of blood sugars running away from me, out of control. If you're new to carb counting, it might be a good idea to get yourself some training on how to do it, as it can be pretty confusing. The website www.bdec-e-learning.com/ is helpful - I've probably got the address wrong, so google bdec to find it. Your high blood sugars may be due to your eating more carbs than you think you are, but there can be other reasons. Maybe visit your GP or consultant and discuss all aspects of how you are looking after your diabetes.
All the best. Let us know how you get on.

jt31

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for the info, I will have a look. I did see the dietician who told me how to carb count & what my ratio is, went to bed on 13.9, during night was 16.1 & awoke at 6.9, I have had an omelette & yoghurt for breakfast which is 22 carbs so have taken 5 units. I also use fitness pal to work out carbs & calories as desperate to lose weight, have tried everything, I must be only person to lose 5lb in a yr at slimming world.

jt31

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi dancer, I would have thought insulin is ok, my lantus was not increased, I take 24 am & 22 pm, my injection sites were checked & are fine but have told me to inject underneath my arm, I am good at moving sites around, dietician said it will take a few days to settle but don't understand the big increase in sugars for no reason at all, this has been going on for yrs & only just getting help, I am getting a new meter in 3 wks which has something to do with carb counting, apparently a session is due in new yr for carb counting, I do understand it but not the erratic sugar levels

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I can only guess but suspect you may still be taking too many carbs. Be a little careful with Slimming World as they aren't targeted at diabetics and may still follow the low-fat/high-carb mantra? A ratio of 1 unit to 5gm of rapid is a bit on the high side and implies you may be overweight with insulin resistance? For a while you may need to increase the insulin but do reduce the carbs to avoid a vicious circle with the insulin which happens when you have insulin resistance

Reactions: 2 people

jt31

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I can only guess but suspect you may still be taking too many carbs. Be a little careful with Slimming World as they aren't targeted at diabetics and may still follow the low-fat/high-carb mantra? A ratio of 1 unit to 5gm of rapid is a bit on the high side and implies you may be overweight with insulin resistance? For a while you may need to increase the insulin but do reduce the carbs to avoid a vicious circle with the insulin which happens when you have insulin resistance
I am trying to cut my carbs down, but find it very hard, MY Fitness Pal works out my carbs for me, going to try cauliflower rice tonight instead of basmatil rice to cut down on the carbs, just tested bloods and now 10.9 so not as bad as yesterday this has increased by 5 yet I took the correct dosage for the carbs at breakfast and yes I am overweight and I have told my doctor for ages that I think I have insulin resistance, but until now no one has helped me,

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The BDEC Carb Counting course is a great place to get you started on carb counting, you should also ask your DSN to put your name down for the next available DAFNE course, it's a carb counting course that covers all aspects of carb counting and adjusting insulin doses plus many more things, such as what to do when you are ill (sick Day Rules) and how to adjust your insulin when exercising.

If you have issues with insulin resistance then you'd do well to reduce your weight as this will help enormously, also you could ask your gp or consultant to prescribe Metformin as this can help type 1 diabetics who have insulin resistance.

Reactions: 2 people

moz1

Thank you for the info, I will have a look. I did see the dietician who told me how to carb count & what my ratio is, went to bed on 13.9, during night was 16.1 & awoke at 6.9, I have had an omelette & yoghurt for breakfast which is 22 carbs so have taken 5 units. I also use fitness pal to work out carbs & calories as desperate to lose weight, have tried everything, I must be only person to lose 5lb in a yr at slimming world.
No disrespect to dietitians but I would not trust their word on insulin ratios! Think you should ask to go on a DAFNE course where they will help set your ratios and you will get sound advice on carb counting.

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having problems with high bloods so dietician has told me to carb count & Change lantus from am to split am & pm. On day 3 but sugars still high apart from this morning when 8.5, had 50g to eat so took 10 units of novorapid as told 1 unit to 5g carbs but by 10 am, sugars were 20, does anyone else have same problem,, I took extra 10u only to come down by 3, this has been going on for sometime, where my insulin does not seem to work, anyone else have same problem
i think you might need to change your ratio...try 1 unit to 10cg...and maybe take lantus in the evening( i take mine a 8pm,works for me)

Reactions: 3 people