Diabetes and infection

Jilly986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal cruelty, rude people
This may be a strange question but I have had a raging toothache for two days now and I am pretty sure it is an infection. I am in the process of plucking up the courage to make an appointment with my dentist. No amount of paracetamol or ibuprofen seems to be helping. I'm starting to feel unwell now. Would it affect my diabetes in any way. I also have hypothyroidism and Addison's Disease.

alliebee

Hi Jilly. So sorry to hear this...it is likely to be an abcess under the tooth amd gum if meds give no relief. Your dentist will give you a course of antibiotics and treat the tooth when the abcess has gone. Don't delay. These things often get worse. Good luck

Jilly986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes I agree. It's affecting what I eat so time to sort it out. Thank you

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Jilly986.
It is the Dentist for you, the sooner better. Sorry if you do not like dentist. ( don't for your purse )
Best of luck

Jilly986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm on to it. I really just wondered if the infection affected my diabetes or vice versa...apart from not being able to eat properly.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Any infection or illness will cause your glucose control to suffer. Have you been running higher levels than normal. You should return to your usual levels when you sort out the infection.

Reactions: 2 people

Jilly986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes, I had my blood sugar levels well controlled but they have been creeping up over the last couple of days.

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
When about a year ago I had a tooth abscess, I suddenly saw high bg numbers even before I realized what was coming. They stayed high until the problem was resolved.

Also, often when I see inexplicable high fasting numbers, it seems to be a prewarning that something is coming my way - and sure enough! They are a kind if barometer. It seems that my body/system is trying to fight it (sending out stress hormones to try to remedy the situation) - even before the illness/disease has manifested itself or come to my attention.

annelise

- Jilly, as others above have said: Get yourself to a dentist as soon as possible - the pain of an abscess is excruciating. Maybe you may get an emergency appointment? Dentists know very well what this is about - painwise ...

Jilly986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks and yes I will do

susieq67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I have found the answer to my question !

I've got flu and my previously well controlled BG levels (usually between 5.7 - 7) are suddenly all over the place (8 - 13).

I've been very careful what flu remedies I'm taking, making sure that the cough mixture and lozenges are sugar free and my day to day diet hasn't changed in any way.

Jilly986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Its better than it was thanks. Got antibiotics and continuing with the ibuprofen