I would just like to let you all know a system that works!

Paul Burton

If you eat 20 grams of carbs per day for three days and then on the fourth day women should eat 40 grams of carbs and men should eat 60 grams of carbs, I call this the high carb day, then for the next four days eat 20 grams of carbs per day then have the high carb day i.e. women should eat 40 grams of carbs and men should eat 60 grams of carbs then for three days eat 20 grams of carbs just keep repeating three days on the low carb then the fourth day the high carb day as above then the four days low carb then the high carb. The great thing about this system is it fools your body into using your fat stores for fuel. The advantage is you don't get hungry as you can eat as much as you like of foods with no carbs i.e. meat fish cheese etc. If you get the Collins Carb Counting book it lists loads of foods with their carb values. The additional info you need is the Collins book also lists the net carb value of foods so for instance nuts have fibre so they have a nil value of net carbs for the diet point of view. You will have to check with your diabetes advisers as to if you have to include the insulin for those items just to be safe. I have lost a stone in six weeks. If you get hungry it is well worth drinking water and as I say you can eat nuts etc. My wife is also doing this diet but struggled to loose any weight initially as she has recently been diagnosed with thyroid problems and has to take tablets for that but now the tablets are working the diet is working. before that she just kept putting weight on even though she was cutting down on her food. At least when she was following the low carb high carb diet she wasn't putting the weight on. It is important to make sure you do eat the 20 grams of carbs per day to keep your body in working order. The difficult thing is working out the different meals with the reduced amount of carbs. If after the three or four days i.e. on the high carb day you have way over the 40 or 60 grams of carbs you can get light headed I guess it's a sugar rush so be careful. I hope this helps you people trying to loose weight. Some people report because their bodies switch from using the food they normally eat to using their body fat for food and fuel they have more energy. As with all diets if you can increase the amount of exercise you do this helps you burn more fat off more quickly. I sit and work at a computer all day so don’t get enough exercise. At lunch time I saw up my firewood this is a win win as I then get a bit of exercise and I get a nice pile of fire wood and chopped logs for the fire. Obviously this is easier for me as I work from home. Another thing I now do is more regularly walk to the shops to buy your food rather than driving etc. Glass of red wine on this diet is low carb a whiskey is no carbs. Cheers!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi Paul, this is a variation of the Low Carb Higher Fat diet that many people on here follow.

The principle of having a carb up day is one that a lot of people who do significant weight training use to avoid glycogen depletion and muscle damage.

Paul Burton

Hi Paul, this is a variation of the Low Carb Higher Fat diet that many people on here follow.

The principle of having a carb up day is one that a lot of people who do significant weight training use to avoid glycogen depletion and muscle damage.
Hi Tim, I heard about this diet from a guy who was into weight training and keeping fit. The key thing is I don't get hungry most of the time. If I do get a bit peckish I just eat non carb things and have a drink of water and the excess weight keeps on going. What are the limits for the LCHF diet as it was stressed to me that the above should be strictly adhered to. The first time I tried it i didn't limit the carbs on the high carb day and it it still worked, but this time I thought I would do it properly. We visited friends the other weekend so just stopped the low carb diet and continued back on it when we returned home.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
To be honest, I follow a pattern where I have next to no carbs mid-week and a carb day that is 300g of carbs on a Saturday.

These are all variations of the same thing, and when weight training you are replenishing glycogen. It is not really necessary if you aren't. Lchf has great results as it has a similar impact as cyclic low carb/carb loading, which is what you are doing.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Paul,

What are your blood glucose readings on the low carb and higher carb days?