Frio bags and travelling

Magni7

Hi everyone

I am going abroad for the first time since getting diabetes (type 1). I am going on a backpacking holiday in the USA and I am worried about how to store my insulin while on the move. I will not always have access to a refrigerator as many nights of the trip will be spent camping.

I have come across the FRIO bags (from medical shop) thanks to this forum but I am unsure if these bags will keep my entire insulin supply at the right temperature for the entire trip. For instance are the FRIO bags just for currently in use insulin?

If anyone has been on a similar trip I would love to know how you kept your insulin supply at the right temp and if the FRIO bags can do this. Any other travel without a fridge tips are welcome.

Thanks all
Magni

jopar

I use my frilo bags camping with no access to fridge or cool box, It has keep insulin supplies for 2 diabetics, and we've never found any problem with keeping it this way, the only difference with tempreture is that the hotter the climate is, the quicker the frilo pouch needs reactivating to maintain it's cooling ability.. Mind you the first time you activate when it's completely dried, it seems to take ages, but once you'll up and runing a reasonble length dunk in water does the trick..

nessa-lou

Dislikes
my injections
i havent been on the same type of trip but i have been to spain and greece and very hot times! and i used a frio bag and it was fantastic!!! it lasts for a while, i only had to soak it water every couple of days, and they stay cool, even on a very hot beach haha, make sure u take plenty of test strips tooo, i had a few hypos because of the heat. and last but not least ENJOY!! lol :)

Magni7

Hi guys, thanks for the advice :D

One other question though. If you are going away for 3 months how do you keep your insulin (novorapid and lantus) below 8 degrees while travelling on planes, trains, buses etc... so that it remains usable for later in the trip?

Cheers

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.