Is type 2 reversible with Prof Roy Taylor

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Nosher thank you! After 2 years of insane excercise and not a little worry I feel like I might be finally understanding my condition, we are all unique!
Hope you have read the threads concerned with RH, it is becoming more common as the condition is understood.
Since diagnosed RH I have lost weight, got more energy and feel great. I have my life back.
As I said in my last post constant small snacks every two to three hours instead of main meals are better for you and low carbing is essential for control.
Get your GP to get you to see an endocrinologist and he will get you all sorts of tests. As well as the haemoglobin, you will have the oral glucose test, mixed meal and a 72 hour fast test. Monitoring your glucose levels is critical. You will discover that some certain low carbs will spike you. Avoid anything that spikes you. The pain is finding something to eat 8 or 9 times a day! I've been eating salads everyday with lots of meats and veg. Home made recipes are on this forum and you will get used to it eventually!!
Any questions ask away!

Reactions: 2 people

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
I was always under the impression that T2 could not be reversed just well managed. I have, however been told by my DB nurse today that I'm showing no signs of diabetes any more despite still taking metformin. My hba1c has been 35 for 2 years, in old money previously I was around 5.5. It was 26 when diagnosed & I was originally suspected as T1. I've lost around 5stone, run 30 or 40 miles per week & have done 8 marathons in the past 2 years. I'm currently fighting Cancer but I've been told I can be de classified from now as non diabetic. I watch my carbs & eat lots of white meat & veg. I've agreed that I'll ditch the metformin & go back in 3 months for more bloods & final confirmation.

Reactions: 6 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was always under the impression that T2 could not be reversed just well managed. I have, however been told by my DB nurse today that I'm showing no signs of diabetes any more despite still taking metformin. My hba1c has been 35 for 2 years, in old money previously I was around 5.5. It was 26 when diagnosed & I was originally suspected as T1. I've lost around 5stone, run 30 or 40 miles per week & have done 8 marathons in the past 2 years. I'm currently fighting Cancer but I've been told I can be de classified from now as non diabetic. I watch my carbs & eat lots of white meat & veg. I've agreed that I'll ditch the metformin & go back in 3 months for more bloods & final confirmation.

Great news on the diabetes and good luck with the cancer treatment. I think refacing some of Prof Taylor's stuff there's a suggestion that in Type 2 some folk's beta cells are merely hibernating as it were, inhibited by all the fat and the metabolic difficulties that sets up , rather than destroyed. Yr weight loss and exercise have., if nit reversed it, taken you into the non- diabetic range and stable for two years. Now it's about maintaining those gains - tbh I'm not sure how much of a reduction in BS levels Metformin brings about so you hopefully won't see much if any change coming off and you can always go back onto a low dose if you feel it necessary.

VicVik

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
So basically lose weight and move about more is the Holy Grail? I read some scam advertisement yesterday about a guy who stated he'd reversed his Type 2 by following a diet devised by Joseph Borden, anyone heard of him? This guy, Ricky Everett, who claims to be a professional marathon runner, says that within weeks of eating normal foods and supplements designed to destroy Free Fatty Acids he was "cured". The fact that his head was photoshopped onto a marathon runner was enough to make me suspicious.

I got interested in this because my dad's recently been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. He's 63 and 6-5. When he got the news, his weight was 320lb (23st) or so; he went on a low-carb/50%-veg grazing diet immediately on the advice of his clinic's nutritionist and began taking 45-60min brisk walks six times a week. He's now at 300lb (21.4st) after six weeks.

Up to the point of his diagnosis, he'd only noticed decreased sensation on the soles of his feet. Nothing has changed since then.

I mention all that because this is my first post here. I found the forum because I received a marketing e-mail blast about Ricky Everett and Joseph Borden. I'm a college student -- Dean's List, I'm proud to say -- and do e-commerce to cover expenses and then some. I market an FDA-approved natural pain relief product, so I wind up getting on lists where stuff like Everett/Borden's is hawked.

As you saw their spiel, you noticed it pushes all the usual buttons -- personal sob story/redemption, emotional appeal, miracle cure, Big Pharma's out to get them so buy now before they're stopped, and so on. And yes, the presentation contained some of the tackiest photoshopping I've seen anywhere.

Still, some of the details in the presentation were similar to what my dad heard from his mainstream-educated licensed nutritionist, and that's why I began to research its claims. The keywords I used led me to this forum, and specifically to your message.

So, have you found out any more about those people or the product? To date, I'm still seeking substance over and above what Dad's nutritionist told him. He's in the Seattle area, and she'd heard about Dr Taylor's method.

Everett/Borden are only asking $39 (£25) for their e-book. If nothing else, I'll toss them the bone and see what the diet looks like, ask Dad about it, and get back to you. It claims to 'reverse' diabetes in four weeks. As that's half the time Dr Taylor's method claims, I think Dad would be up for it.

I'm sure there are upsells after the initial purchase, but as usual, I'll leave them alone.

Last edited by a moderator:

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@VicVik All Everett/Borden want is your bone followed with treats.
Only £25 ($39) is a fortune for many of us to through away.
I am sure that in your field of work scams should be immediately highlighted.
Surely we must take notice from our members ( @cyclonic ) warnings.

VicVik

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Only £25 ($39) is a fortune for many of us to through away.

You know, that's why I do the research.

I've got a successful e-commerce business because I've built a reputation for personally confirming and/or using the products I feature. I don't go by rumors or generalizations.

The member mentioning the Everett/Borden product reported what I'd already seen, which is a lousy set of photoshopped images in a presentation. While that means the promoter -- Everett -- is probably a snake-oil salesman, it doesn't necessarily rule out the veracity of the product itself. It may well be that Borden has a legit method that's been hijacked; this has been done before.

What's the worst that can happen? I'll buy the e-book, check its contents with a certified nutritionist here, see if my dad still wants to try it, and observe the results. If something good comes of it, then I'll check it against his 'normal' recommended diet's results. If that shows a significant difference, I'll seek out a small group of others who would be willing to try it at my expense.

At that point, I'll be ready to disclose findings.

It's appalling to know that low-lifes exist who try to profit from the misfortunes and hopes of others. If I can do my part by sorting out what's really what, I do it. Not just for my dad's sake, but for the principle of it. That's how I was raised, and that's what I believe.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just managed to listen/watch this today. What a great use of an hour. I thoroughly recommend it.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You know, that's why I do the research.

I've got a successful e-commerce business because I've built a reputation for personally confirming and/or using the products I feature. I don't go by rumors or generalizations.

The member mentioning the Everett/Borden product reported what I'd already seen, which is a lousy set of photoshopped images in a presentation. While that means the promoter -- Everett -- is probably a snake-oil salesman, it doesn't necessarily rule out the veracity of the product itself. It may well be that Borden has a legit method that's been hijacked; this has been done before.

What's the worst that can happen? I'll buy the e-book, check its contents with a certified nutritionist here, see if my dad still wants to try it, and observe the results. If something good comes of it, then I'll check it against his 'normal' recommended diet's results. If that shows a significant difference, I'll seek out a small group of others who would be willing to try it at my expense.

At that point, I'll be ready to disclose findings.

It's appalling to know that low-lifes exist who try to profit from the misfortunes and hopes of others. If I can do my part by sorting out what's really what, I do it. Not just for my dad's sake, but for the principle of it. That's how I was raised, and that's what I believe.
@VicVik I just think it would be wiser for you to carry out your research first, then reveal your findings.
You are correct regarding "snake oil salesman". However these bandits do get customers to buy the most dubious products

Whats best for your dad is far more important and I wish you all the success you can find to help him.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just managed to listen/watch this today. What a great use of an hour. I thoroughly recommend it.
and he's a low carber, it might get main stream..it's hard for then to go,,,sorry, we were wrong for the last 40 years

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
and he's a low carber, it might get main stream..it's hard for then to go,,,sorry, we were wrong for the last 40 years

I haven't seen the new lecture, that's a radical change if he is, I'm on primarily carbs in the shakes, and carbs in the veg.
No added fat, no added protein.
Anyone, maybe @AndBreathe @cold ethyl has he changed the format of the diet since his last lecture by that much?

I'll be watching it tonight!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't seen the new lecture, that's a radical change if he is, I'm on primarily carbs in the shakes, and carbs in the veg.
Anyone, maybe @AndBreathe @cold ethyl has he changed the format of the diet since his last lecture by that much?

No change to the diet.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

No he hasn't so don't worry, he suggests that in that short term, it doesn't matter what the diet is nutritionally though the advantage of the shakes is that they do include a full complement of vits and minerals. It's about the reduction in calories. (personally I would think you wouldn't want to go too low in protein for 8 weeks because it isn't stored although minimum requirements aren't that high) He suggests in an answer at the end that diets including low fat and perhaps he said for more people low carb would work. (I get that as reiterating any diet that reduces calories but I suspect others may take it differently!)

Last edited by a moderator:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Ah, ok, thanks for the clarification.

It's certainly not a low carb diet then, it's still a very low calorie diet.

The other advantage of the shakes is that they do provide an amount of protein and fat, the vegetables provide carbs and fibre, no extra fat or protein allowed in the meals.
Well, on the original diet sheet anyway.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Hi cold ethyl I'm probably being dim nbut what's PFT?

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Personal fat threshold.

@douglas99 he mentioned carbs twice if I recall. Once when saying that you could just significantly cut calories and do diet, by ditching carbs and reducing meat and eating large plate of green veg. then later on he said any diet works for some people, but that more people would lose on low carb than low fat.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Personal fat threshold.

@douglas99 he mentioned carbs twice if I recall. Once when saying that you could just significantly cut calories and do diet, by ditching carbs and reducing meat and eating large plate of green veg. then later on he said any diet works for some people, but that more people would lose on low carb than low fat.

Ok, thanks.
The green veg I'm eating is still primarily carbs, I've reduced the protein to nothing, it would be interesting to see what fat could be brought in, and still keep the calories down to 600 to 800, and provide enough physical food to still be filling, bearing in mind the high calorific value of fat.
The glass of milk just about works for the shake for me, or a tin of soup at around 200 calories.
It does tend to be a vegetable type still though.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a tricky balance between being low carb, low fat and filling, isn't it. I think if I were to try it and I may yet do so, I'd pass on the shakes because I don't much like any quantity of milk and eat soup. A big batch of green veg soup could last a good few days, or a spicy asian style one with a few mushrooms in and some pak choi. I wonder if you could have a small fillet steak and salad at night and just clear broth during day.Maybe I'll check out menus from the 5 :2 diet for suggestions. It depends on whether you just want to forget about food for the time on it, or experiment in the kitchen!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It's a tricky balance between being low carb, low fat and filling, isn't it. I think if I were to try it and I may yet do so, I'd pass on the shakes because I don't much like any quantity of milk and eat soup. A big batch of green veg soup could last a good few days, or a spicy asian style one with a few mushrooms in and some pak choi. I wonder if you could have a small fillet steak and salad at night and just clear broth during day.Maybe I'll check out menus from the 5 :2 diet for suggestions. It depends on whether you just want to forget about food for the time on it, or experiment in the kitchen!

You won't forget about food, I keep trying to!!

I cook a batch of soup, as a base, and add different spices to give it an indian, chinese, chili, taste etc.
As you suggest, bean sprouts, shiitake, oyster, or brown mushrooms (or button mushrooms if I haven't any) added to chinese spices helps.
I have a very hot chinese chili sauce as well, that goes well with them.
Peppers go well with the chili, maybe with a bit more microwaved onion.
The pumpkin innards got recycled into an indian curry soup.

I haven't gone for meat yet though.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No i don't imagine I'd ever stop thinking about food. I might try doing it as a 5:2 type thing as I could probably manage not to eat for two days!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Well inspired from another thread, I've just cooked some halved sprouts, onion, pepper, mushrooms, in a chicken stock cube, with a Mediterranean herb mix, (being lazy), and half a glass of red wine. (reduced down, so should have taken the calories out of the alcohol).
soup bowl sized portion is dinner for the night.