Help

haylz2002

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I need help. I have been so bad with my diabetes lately. I haven't tested in ages and I haven't been taking insulin for my meals. I have lied to my mum and told her I've checked and bolused but I haven't. I have been pretending I'm not diabetic! I need help and I need something to get me inspired to look after myself and this horrible illness

LittleFragge

I know its really hard at times, I have been through the I cant be bothered stage a few times. The end result is I'm 30 and I now have diabetic retnopothy. The best thing is to get in touch with your diabetes team and be honest with them, they will help. Talk to people on here and maybe find a local group so you can talk to other people with diabetes, I always found that the most helpful.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a good step coming and asking for help :)

Why don't u do a test now? Have u got test strips?

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wash ur hands and try again? You need to get ur sugars down if it still shows high.
I think you need to talk to ur mum, she will want to help you x

Sam5966

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm exactly the same, almost pretending I don't have it. Problem is I've not been doing my injections or testing and nothing is wrong with me now. I know if I carry on this way it will catch up with me later in life but I just can't get used to it! Thinking about trying to get an insulin pump to help me! Try that's

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm exactly the same, almost pretending I don't have it. Problem is I've not been doing my injections or testing and nothing is wrong with me now. I know if I carry on this way it will catch up with me later in life but I just can't get used to it! Thinking about trying to get an insulin pump to help me! Try that's

Hi Sam, if you don't do it, it's not just later in life that you'll have problems. You'll rapidly find yourself in hospital with Diabetic KetoAcidosis, which can cause brain swelling, kidney failure and breathing problems because your lungs can become filled with fluid. So it's worth while injecting even now, as if you don't, you can end up accidentally killing yourself. So while you try and sort out a pump, give yourself the injections and do a few tests. It will make you feel better, and you'll also discover that actually, it's not so bad and that you can carry on with life more or less as it was before.