Herbal treatment of T2 diabetes

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
Can the forum members share with us if anybody has tried herbal treatment for diabetes: Stevia powder , Fenegreek seeds, Cinamon etc? I had been taking Stevia for last 3-4 years with tea/coffee and recently started taking Fenugreek seeds ( water from soaked seeds, Cinamon powder with tea/Coffee ) . I noticed a bit of improvement of BS levels .But I am confused whether such improvement is caused by my recent increased frequency of walking daily or may be an additional Diamicron 30 ( one in the morning) tablet that has been added to my daily medication list .

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I were a betting person I would bet on the walking. You could always stop the walking for a week to see what happens.

Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would bet on the Diamicron. Exercise is great and does help but you need to do an awful lot to affect blood sugar. Diet is the first priority and then meds. Sadly I have seen on evidence over the years in the forums or media that any herbal treatment has anything but a minor effect. Metformin started as a herbal remedy from a flower and helps a bit but not that much.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I currently use stevia, but have never even considered it as a herbal diabetic treatment, merely a no carb sugar replacement as part of my low carb diet. So while it's lack of carbohydrates can help keep my glucose levels down I doubt it's ever likely to cure me. :( I suppose though it's really just a matter of differences in perception?

I do like cinnamon and I've always used it as a flavouring in my cooking, however increasing it to any significant levels gives me bad nose bleeds. It's one of a number of foodstuffs/spices that can thin the blood,. so it obviously needs be used with care.

A number of treatments/medicines have their origins in plants and spices. etc, and are now used in refined forms. As I understand it, in their natural state they're not necessarily likely to be safer or better than the refined versions as their purity and potency will be quite variable since nature doesn't work under laboratory conditions. :wideyed: So I'd tend to agree with Daibell's comment on their usefulness.

Robbity

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my money is on the gliclazide. though walking helps. 1/2 hr a day is perfect, they say
none of the herb studies that I have seen, have ever matched a basic, single 500 tab of metformin for an effect on BG

G

graj0

Diamicron which contains Gliclazide, is probably the reason, if your dose has been increased. Walking will help with BG levels but I wouldn't like to say by how much (couldn't say by how much), my father's experience was that when he stopped walking (leg muscle pain. statins? being 87?), his BG was all over the place and he has never had good control since.
Metformin, which you don't mention Kaha, is quite often prescribed as the first line drug of choice especially if the patient is overweight or if insulin resistance is suspected. I'm not sure why there's a suggestion that Metformin "helps a bit but not much". It is also chemically synthesized.

Positive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I can swear by Bitter Melon tablets. I have eaten small piece of cake, two slices of bread and taken Bitter Melon which gives a small rise in BS levels. I was worried if manufactures had something added to the tablets as it reduced higher spikes greatly. So I stopped taking them.(besides I wanted loose weight and do other experiments too). But recently came across this thread I used full spectrum Bitter Melon tablets from Swanson. I am not sure if it help the fasting BS though.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=27056
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28851

Lynn_L

Hi, I have tried Misai Kuching and Green tea and found that it does help in reducing my BS. I often consumed either one of them to help stablizes my BS when I have taken too much carb. Found that Bitter Gourd in which you can juice it, stir-fry also helps regulated my BS too. Not sure of the commercial Bitter Melon tablets.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello to all, Sugar free Stu, what do you mean that this site comes from India?

To all, when I was just on metformin, following an article in the magazine, Healthy, I tried the supplement Chromium Picolinate at 200 ug per day.
The article was written by Dr. Carina Norris www.carinanorris.co.uk the article was titled "Supplement focus Chromium", little known mineral helps balance your blood sugar, and can help manage conditions from diabetes to depression. I have been carrying this article around for a couple of years, so sorry I cannot give a date of published article.

I took chromium picolinate at least (30 or 60 tablets in a bottle) until all gone, and my readings did go down, I even had some hypo's which I found were very scary, as they were the very first ones I had ever had, since being diagnosed. I noticed that just plain chromium did not work, the effect were not noticed when I was put on other diabetic medications.
I noticed that my depression did seem lighter while I took the supplement, which only noticed later on.

I often wonder if all the different medications work well for each person, and the other supplements I read about in your posts would be any better, I took the new drugs as prescribed and I wonder if the chromium picolinate could have been beneficial to me, never know now. Thanks to all for bringing these supplements to me, further reading is needed, ttfn

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
I drink a glass of water in empty stomach soaked with one spoon of seeds the previous night