High Blood Sugars :(

Serenasaurus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I forgot my morning basal. Only remembered it at about 4pm when I should have done it at about 9-10am. I figured it was way too late to do any basal because my evening one would be due soon. At 4pm I tested and was at 26, did 10 bolus correctional.
Tested again at my evening meal, was at 23, did another 10 bolus for food. I use an Aviva expert meter so it remembers how much insulin is in your system and takes it into account. Just did another test and I'm at 25. My meter said to do 9 correctional bolus, which I have done.

Just wondereing has anyone else done this kind of thing before. It's not the first time I have but I can't remember what I did (or if I was that bothered). Will I be able to get it down to a resonable level? Will I drop really low later? I don't really want to have to phone anyone for advice, so I figured here was the next best place to ask :)

Thanks in advance.

LittleFragge

This has happened to me before, its always taken a lot of insulin to get down, but it normally took me 24 hours to get control back after getting my basal back in to system x

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
When I've forgotten basal I try and think like a pump and do little and often, with a lot of bs testing. It's a pain but it works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
At levels above 12 you may well need double the correction factor to bring you down. Your expert meter will only be gauging you correction factor on a normal high 8-12. It is well known that levels as high as 20 s are much harder for insilun to bring down and so requires more insulin.

However, the exact dosage is trial and error for the individual. Mine is doubled.. Others will find its adding on a third extra or a fifth extra etc.

You should always aim for target levels at 5 hours not 2 hours for any higher reading. Realistically over 15 and to bring down to target levels could normally be 10 hours or more even with increased doses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people