FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Funny, I'm a brit and pronounce it the Spanish way as opposed to the French way... Oh well...

And thanks Robert72. Will check that on the Mac. Hadn't realised they'd gone the way of the mobile phone.

Reactions: 2 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
this is the number on there site 008000 - 2255 232

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1415563700.055176.jpg

This is what I see on the site....

badbrogs21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm undersided on weather or not to get one. Does it let you no your levels threw out the day or have you got to put the meter over the scanner for the results ???

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm undersided on weather or not to get one. Does it let you no your levels threw out the day or have you got to put the meter over the scanner for the results ???
It records your levels throughout the day, but you have to scan at least once every 8 hours to download those levels to the reader (the sensor can only store a maximum of 8 hours data, whereas the reader can store up to 90 days worth).

You can see the levels on a graph on the reader or you can connect the reader to your computer to see more detailed analysis. You can also see the current level on the reader when you scan (a bit like checking your blood).

scan.JPG

badbrogs21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It records your levels throughout the day, but you have to scan at least once every 8 hours to download those levels to the reader (the sensor can only store a maximum of 8 hours data, whereas the reader can store up to 90 days worth).

You can see the levels on a graph on the reader or you can connect the reader to your computer to see more detailed analysis. You can also see the current level on the reader when you scan (a bit like checking your blood).

View attachment 8119
So you recommend it then what's the good and bad points ???

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So you recommend it then what's the good and bad points ???
It's good to see all the levels in between blood tests, especially what's happened overnight. You can scan anytime you want and it's nice not to be pricking your fingers all the time. The computer software can do a lot of analysis to show daily trends so you can adjust your doses based on that.

But you still need to do finger prick tests when you are low or when you are about to drive as the data is about 20 minutes behind your current blood reading. It's expensive. Some member have had trouble with their sensors or readers not working well. My first sensor was good, but my second took almost 3 days to stabilise.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
How much are the sensors and how long do they last
Take a look at this post with regard to "accuracy". http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/freestyle-libre-on-sale.65900/page-49#post-672814

The key point is trend. The starter pack is £138 including postage, and the sensors are around £48 each. Depends on your point of view as to whether they are expensive. Having never had the type of data being provided before, I'd say it is invaluable and the sensors, at that price, are a good deal. Some might disagree though.

mummy3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

you have to use scanner to see result, also you still need to do blood tests, i found the lower my sugars the results match but once get higher bloods are about 4-5 points higher, ive had it since friday love it, you just sit scanning all the time lol, even the kids come and scan me so gives them chance to get involved, good luck x

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

This is a tool to help you manage your diabetes - it doesn't do it for you. If you are the type of person who currently puts time into recording and analysing your levels and patterns on a fairly frequent basis, this tool will be invaluable as it helps you to do that better. If you are the type of person who takes no notice of your BGs except for jabbing for meals and regular HbA1cs, this tool will probably not help you. At the moment, most of us using it were already taking a keen interest in understanding and improving our levels. The vast majority of Type 1s don't do that (as shown by the shockingly-poor statistics of Type 1s meeting or failing to meet NICE BG guidelines - about 95% fail to meet them) - for those people, I doubt the Libre system will make a shred of difference.

Smidge

Reactions: 5 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is a tool to help you manage your diabetes - it doesn't do it for you. If you are the type of person who currently puts time into recording and analysing your levels and patterns on a fairly frequent basis, this tool will be invaluable as it helps you to do that better. If you are the type of person who takes no notice of your BGs except for jabbing for meals and regular HbA1cs, this tool will probably not help you. At the moment, most of us using it were already taking a keen interest in understanding and improving our levels. The vast majority of Type 1s don't do that (as shown by the shockingly-poor statistics of Type 1s meeting or failing to meet NICE BG guidelines - about 95% fail to meet them) - for those people, I doubt the Libre system will make a shred of difference.

Smidge

Very true!

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone returned a faulty used sensor to Abbotts yet? I have to return one. They have sent a biohazard bag and a padded envelope with a post-paid label. The instructions say to put in the two biohazard bags and the pre-paid box provided. There is no instruction on cleaning the sensor and nothing provided to do so. I don't think the bag and envelope provided is suitable for transporting a used device with dried blood and a needle (the flexible filament) through the post. I could use the box the new sensor came in to protect post workers I guess, but am still worried about whoever opens it in Abbotts. What has everyone else done about returning them? In the past when i've had to return a used BG meter to Roche, they have sent very specific instructions to remove all sharps and have included antibacterial cloths to clean the device.

Smidge

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

Smidge
I just had a re-read of the NICE guidelines. Hadn't realised that I was already well within the NICE levels for T1s as I didn't think I paid that much attention. but I guess I wouldn't have bought a Libre if I didn't care that much... 95% failing is very high!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Am I right in saying that the monthly cost for this would be two sensors, i.e. £115 per month? The only one-off cost is the start-up pack?