Metformin side effects ??

Claire77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all I have been taking metformin for 2 months and have noticed my hair is a lot thinner is this a side effect ?? Apart from this I have no other problems and metformin has worked wonders for my blood sugar readings down from 18 to 5s and 6s what can I can I do about it ? I read it could be a b12 problem caused by metformin should I take a vit b12 substitute or see doc about it ?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm so sorry I missed this post earlier.

My hair got thinner whilst I was taking metformin too. I believe it is a side effect. I also lost a whole patch of hair a the back though, so my doctor put all the hair loss down to stress. I would see your doctor about it.

Have you changed your diet a lot too? I ask this because Metformin doesn't usually reduce BG levels by very much, and yours have dropped dramatically. Your doctor may suggest taking you off the metformin now? Mine won't prescribe it for me anymore because my BG's are near normal.

Claire77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm so sorry I missed this post earlier.

My hair got thinner whilst I was taking metformin too. I believe it is a side effect. I also lost a whole patch of hair a the back though, so my doctor put all the hair loss down to stress. I would see your doctor about it.

Have you changed your diet a lot too? I ask this because Metformin doesn't usually reduce BG levels by very much, and yours have dropped dramatically. Your doctor may suggest taking you off the metformin now? Mine won't prescribe it for me anymore because my BG's are near normal.
ThNks for reply :) I have changed my diet a lot and have lost 14 kg I am keen not to go on insulin though I am seeing my doctor this week :)

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! Well done! That's an impressive weight loss and great BG's too. Good luck at the doc's this week. Let us know how you get on :)

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
been on metformin for three and half years my hair is very fine to start with no loss though and hope i don't get any chuckles
have just started Insulin and while i do prefer to stay on tablets i believe they stop working so well after a time Insulin nothing to be scare doff I am sure

Reactions: 2 people

Claire77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
been on metformin for three and half years my hair is very fine to start with no loss though and hope i don't get any chuckles
have just started Insulin and while i do prefer to stay on tablets i believe they stop working so well after a time Insulin nothing to be scare doff I am sure[/QUOTe

Claire77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanku Patsy just worried about going onto insulin I understand there can be difficulties with driving licensing and I need to drive :(