Some advice please

Jereby

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I am 56 year old male, I have no history of diabetes in my family. I eat a sensible diet, exercise regularly and am not overweight. This morning I had a fasting blood glucose test. It was found to be 4.7. The pharmacist told me I need to see my GP as she considers this to be high and may indicate pre-diabetes. Does this sound correct?

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
Hi, I am 56 year old male, I have no history of diabetes in my family. I eat a sensible diet, exercise regularly and am not overweight. This morning I had a fasting blood glucose test. It was found to be 4.7. The pharmacist told me I need to see my GP as she considers this to be high and may indicate pre-diabetes. Does this sound correct?
Jereby, I would emphatically say: NO, your pharmacist was not correct. This is a perfectly normal fasting number for a non-diabetic.

Sometimes my head reels :woot: when hearing what health professionals will be telling people ... - Where and how did they get their diplomas? - This one certainly didn't graduate top of the class ...

annelise

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Certainly no expert by any means but 4.7 looks fine to me, I'm sure the normal range is somewhere between 3.6 - 5.8 (although I may be mistaken).

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pre diabetes is diagnosed after two fasting readings of 5.5 to 6.9 or if you talk to another organisation then its 6.0 to 6.9. You are diagnosed as diabetic if the readings are over 7.0

Use a different pharmacist.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
your pharmasist is wrong, i was told above 7.5 would be highish

Samanthacxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I work in a pharmacy and the pharmacist who told you this is wrong!. In our pharmacy, anything over 6.0 is referred to the GP, so I wouldn't worry about your reading :).