Long haul flights and altitude ....

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Can anyone advise whether flying long haul will affect my BS? Plus, we will be staying in Denver for a few days, and I was wondering if being at altitude affects BS, too. I always feel nauseous for a few days when we first arrive due to the high altitude in and around The Rockies.

I am prediabetic.

Thanks.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lynn, Lynn, Lynn - Please, PLEASE relax and enjoy your holiday.

I have done several long-haul flights since diagnosis with no issues whatsoever, and what on earth do you intend to do if altitude us likely to raise your levels? Not go there? Sulk until you can leave?

I'm sorry to appear grumpy, but if you must invest in worry, then please do it about things that are permanent features in your life, and which you can alter. The potential for any kind of blip over a few days, measured in a lifetime just doesn't deserve the headspace.

When I was diagnosed, I was about to leave on the trip of a lifetime, so I had to quickly get my head around all this stuff and decide that this inconvenience was going to be just that and I had to find ways of ensuring my life, and that of those closest to me, would be impacted in the minimal way. This is the thinking you really need to be getting on with.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Lynn, Lynn, Lynn - Please, PLEASE relax and enjoy your holiday.

I have done several long-haul flights since diagnosis with no issues whatsoever, and what on earth do you intend to do if altitude us likely to raise your levels? Not go there? Sulk until you can leave?

I'm sorry to appear grumpy, but if you must invest in worry, then please do it about things that are permanent features in your life, and which you can alter. The potential for any kind of blip over a few days, measured in a lifetime just doesn't deserve the headspace.

When I was diagnosed, I was about to leave on the trip of a lifetime, so I had to quickly get my head around all this stuff and decide that this inconvenience was going to be just that and I had to find ways of ensuring my life, and that of those closest to me, would be impacted in the minimal way. This is the thinking you really need to be getting on with.

I do intend to enjoy my holiday as I will be visiting my daughter.

Over the last two weeks I feel I have the BS very much under control. I was just interested to know. That's all.

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Drink lots and lots of water and eat sensible low carb snacks, you should be fine. Wear appropriate clothing - I go terribly hot and cold on flights.
Would never recommend drinking alcohol on flights:grumpy: it will dehydrate you. The only way to see is to test yourself and see how you react

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I recently flew long-haul to Lusaka - altitude approx. 1,300 meters.

No trouble with blood sugars, apart from the high-carb airline meals ;)

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Drink lots and lots of water and eat sensible low carb snacks, you should be fine. Wear appropriate clothing - I go terribly hot and cold on flights.
Would never recommend drinking alcohol on flights:grumpy: it will dehydrate you. The only way to see is to test yourself and see how you react

We fly to the US two or three times a year to visit our daughter and I always find layers of clothes work best. On the night flight coming home I can get quite cold. We are fortunate in that we can travel business class and the duvets come in very handy.

I don't drink, so alcohol is not an issue.

Snow in and around the Denver area will be our biggest problem this time of year!

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
Lynn, my only problem with long haul flights (have had quite a few) is the food they serve :(.

Last time I opted for a special meal (on going to Hanoi) but will never make the same mistake again (so, so bland), so next time I will just make my pickings from a 'socalled' (HA!) normal meal.

I sincerely doubt that you will have problems with the altitude in Denver (never had it myself), and on the airplane they continuously adjust the air pressure in the cabin to simulate normal air pressure. - So just go, enjoy, and - first and foremost: let go of your concerns ...

annelise

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Lynn, my only problem with long haul flights (have had quite a few) is the food they serve :(.

Last time I opted for a special meal (on going to Hanoi) but will never make the same mistake again (so, so bland), so next time I will just make my pickings from a 'socalled' (HA!) normal meal.

I sincerely doubt that you will have problems with the altitude in Denver (never had it myself), and on the airplane they continuously adjust the air pressure in the cabin to simulate normal air pressure. - So just go, enjoy, and - first and foremost: let go of your concerns ...

annelise

Thank you for such a helpful reply. We'll have a fab time celebrating Thanksgiving with our daughter!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Can anyone advise whether flying long haul will affect my BS? Plus, we will be staying in Denver for a few days, and I was wondering if being at altitude affects BS, too. I always feel nauseous for a few days when we first arrive due to the high altitude in and around The Rockies.

I am prediabetic.

Thanks.

Now this is something I DO know about :) Worked in the industry for 40 years.

Simply enjoy the flight but DO ask the airline about their choice of meals. There's a LOT they cater for including diabetic / vegetarian meals but my only word of warning is none of them understand carb control like the rest of us do. Eat sensibly, drink lots of water and relax :)

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Now this is something I DO know about :) Worked in the industry for 40 years.

Simply enjoy the flight but DO ask the airline about their choice of meals. There's a LOT they cater for including diabetic / vegetarian meals but my only word of warning is none of them understand carb control like the rest of us do. Eat sensibly, drink lots of water and relax :)

We are staff standby so will not have choice of a special meal even in Club Class, but I'm sure I will be fine. Can always take food onboard, but sure that won't be necessary.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
We are staff standby so will not have choice of a special meal even in Club Class, but I'm sure I will be fine. Can always take food onboard, but sure that won't be necessary.

Gotcha :) Bribe your fellow employees then :)