stop diabetes two stigma and find a cure instead of blaming us for being sick

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I took 3 children to Woburn last year. All had packed lunches from parents.. Meant to be a picnic. The 2 brothers literally had pork pies, sausage rolls and crisps. The little girl (different parents) had lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and carrot sticks which she had to eat before having strawberries and cream.

The boys at 9 and 11 are obese. The future may well turnout that the two boys don't get problems but the healthy eating young girl does...

We are all pretty much guinea pigs nowadays.... Nobody can pinpoint the causation of T2.

I remain convinced it is something environmental in some way but what?? Media plays a large part in blaming obesity with diabetes.

Actually, mentioning media...

I've realised I'm wearing my 'Holiday's are coming.......' Coca cola t shirt, bought from Tesco's.

The iconic fizzy drink, that seems to epitomise all that's bad with the carb and sugar glut.

But I bought it as it also epitomised the drink I grew up with in the iconic bottle, that dates back to the good old days, well before the diabetes epidemic, it's been sold since 1886, and in the iconic bottle from 1915.
So how can the sugar in coke have any effect?

Interestingly, they changed from corn syrup, to fructrose in 1985.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Actually, mentioning media...

I've realised I'm wearing my 'Holiday's are coming.......' Coca cola t shirt, bought from Tesco's.

The iconic fizzy drink, that seems to epitomise all that's bad with the carb and sugar glut.

But I bought it as it also epitomised the drink I grew up with in the iconic bottle, that dates back to the good old days, well before the diabetes epidemic, it's been sold since 1886, and in the iconic bottle from 1915.
So how can the sugar in coke have any effect?

Interestingly, they changed from corn syrup, to fructrose in 1985.

I used to drink gallons of coke from glass bottles til 1979...I just used to guzzle it.. It was pretty much the only sweet thing I had...my brothers never drank it. I ended up T1, they didn't.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Incidentally.. So much hype around though that coke infredients can melt a road. I found a huge key when digging in customers garden. Brought it home to try and clean it up.. 1st thought was coke... Has it dissolved anything?-no....seems like it canonly slowly dissolve pancreas' to me!!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It is endless...truly scarey!!

What's the low down on coconut products? I know about PCB being in certain tins or packaging....

Salmonella, Mycotoxins, with the added irony the less commercial the producer, the more likely the risk of simple handling or contamination errors, such as not cleaning tools, air born, or animal contamination,

But the commercial ones process, treat, clean, kill, everything else in it along with all the good stuff.

I'm a great believer in simply eating things, if they are off, I'll find out.

C

catherinecherub

strictly speaking the cases of AIDS are MUCH more related to the persons lifestyle than the causes of diabetes two are related to lifestyle

certainly changing normal diet to a diet that avoids starches helps a lot but that does not mean the diabetic type 2 caused their own illness

come on medical profession and get off your lazy butts and stop blaming us for being ill and REALLY start looking for the REAL cause and REAL cure
I don't think that comparing the lifestyle of AIDS sufferers is really helping. AIDS is not down to a single cause. Health workers, children and sometimes people who have blood transfusions get AIDS.
http://www.aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics/hiv-aids-101/how-you-get-hiv-aids/

There has always been a stigma attached to HIV and AIDS and the only way to remove it is to educate people, much the same as what is needed for the explanation of how Type 2 occurs.
Genes, environment and obesity are risks and not causes. If obesity was a cause then all overweight people would have it. If genes was the cause then whole generations of all family members would have it. If it was the environment then everybody would have it.

The fact that all Type2s who post here are well aware of the stigma means that we have to accept the ignorance that exists and get cracking with managing it and look forward because no amount of soul searching is going to make any difference.
Don't involve yourself in the blame game.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/dont-involve-yourself-in-the-blame-game.21894/

To anyone who is feeling angry about their diagnosis, please read this article. It explains the emotions you will go through.

http://www.diabetesexplained.com/the-five-stages-of-grief.html

Reactions: 6 people

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I took 3 children to Woburn last year. All had packed lunches from parents.. Meant to be a picnic. The 2 brothers literally had pork pies, sausage rolls and crisps. The little girl (different parents) had lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and carrot sticks which she had to eat before having strawberries and cream.

The boys at 9 and 11 are obese. The future may well turnout that the two boys don't get problems but the healthy eating young girl does...

We are all pretty much guinea pigs nowadays.... Nobody can pinpoint the causation of T2.

I remain convinced it is something environmental in some way but what?? Media plays a large part in blaming obesity with diabetes.
Is your house made of gingerbread?

aimee11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He answered one question from earlier there.

6 million americans who aren't overweight have type 2 diabetes.
29 million americans overall have diabetes.

So 1 in 5 aren't overweight.
and the other 4 out of 5 are probably never tested because their doctor does not believe they can have diabetes because they are slim

so it is in fact dangerous for the slim diabetics as they may go undiagnosed for life because of doctors prejudice and belief that it is a lifestyle disease and seeing as they are slim they cannot have diabetes

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Having grown up in poverty in the 50s and 60s. Everything was a treat even eating something basic as fresh meat which we had twice a week.
Sweets and certainly any type of fizzy drink was a luxury.
My diet changed into my twenties, a lot of alcohol, high carbs, lots of bad things that I'd never had!
My kids ate as fussily as us. We didn't eat meat from the butchers. Veg once as a Sunday roast. Because of working and an easy solution, quick and easy meals. We weren't aware of the dangers.
I now believe that for obesity and T2, the emphasis should be on education in secondary schools were domestic science should be on the curriculum.
Also more college places for education and management of diet controlled conditions. Hospitals and clinics as well as surgeries can only offer advice and drugs.
The emphasis on finding actual answers that work for carb intolerance instead of just trying to slow the condition down. To actually help the endocrine system get rid of the visceral fats that inhibit our organs instead of surgeries and management.
To force the food industry away from the harmful sugars and stop using and promoting an unhealthy diet!
There is alternatives. There is the direct correlation between low carbing and lower blood glucose levels, low blood pressure, lower cholestrol, having more energy, a lower risk to your heart and other organs, a less fatty liver, less visceral fat, weight loss, improved vision, better sleeping and a better life altogether.hope I ain't missed nowt!
The coke industry is in a slump. Already they are diversifying into 'more healthier drinks' but they still haven't got it! Sports drinks and energy drinks should be banned, packed lunches have stopped in primary schools because of free school dinners, it should come with dietary
lessons as well!
The tide is slowly turning. Every day there are more of the horror stories concerning obesity. Hopefully the powers that be can change the recommendations and not leave us diabetics to just cope as good as we are able.
Logic dictates that this will happen, but we are not logical creatures!

Reactions: 2 people

aimee11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think that comparing the lifestyle of AIDS sufferers is really helping. AIDS is not down to a single cause. Health workers, children and sometimes people who have blood transfusions get AIDS.
http://www.aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics/hiv-aids-101/how-you-get-hiv-aids/

There has always been a stigma attached to HIV and AIDS and the only way to remove it is to educate people, much the same as what is needed for the explanation of how Type 2 occurs.
Genes, environment and obesity are risks and not causes. If obesity was a cause then all overweight people would have it. If genes was the cause then whole generations of all family members would have it. If it was the environment then everybody would have it.

The fact that all Type2s who post here are well aware of the stigma means that we have to accept the ignorance that exists and get cracking with managing it and look forward because no amount of soul searching is going to make any difference.
Don't involve yourself in the blame game.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/dont-involve-yourself-in-the-blame-game.21894/

To anyone who is feeling angry about their diagnosis, please read this article. It explains the emotions you will go through.

http://www.diabetesexplained.com/the-five-stages-of-grief.html
yes so true

many AIDS sufferers never did any of the lifestyle behaviours that would give them this horrible virus

I was simply pointing out that likewise just as the innocent hemophiliacs and babies who get AIDS through no fault of their own, diabetes 2 sufferers also do not contribute to getting their disease and now that research is being done more and more genetic factors are being recognised.

let us stop the stigma and force doctors to test so called unlikely patients for diabetes [thin] so that they may get treatment options before they get the complications. in some ways being obese is a life saver because at least the doctors rush to test you for diabetes so you have a good chance of better management and fewer complications

aimee11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having grown up in poverty in the 50s and 60s. Everything was a treat even eating something basic as fresh meat which we had twice a week.
Sweets and certainly any type of fizzy drink was a luxury.
My diet changed into my twenties, a lot of alcohol, high carbs, lots of bad things that I'd never had!
My kids ate as fussily as us. We didn't eat meat from the butchers. Veg once as a Sunday roast. Because of working and an easy solution, quick and easy meals. We weren't aware of the dangers.
I now believe that for obesity and T2, the emphasis should be on education in secondary schools were domestic science should be on the curriculum.
Also more college places for education and management of diet controlled conditions. Hospitals and clinics as well as surgeries can only offer advice and drugs.
The emphasis on finding actual answers that work for carb intolerance instead of just trying to slow the condition down. To actually help the endocrine system get rid of the visceral fats that inhibit our organs instead of surgeries and management.
To force the food industry away from the harmful sugars and stop using and promoting an unhealthy diet!
There is alternatives. There is the direct correlation between low carbing and lower blood glucose levels, low blood pressure, lower cholestrol, having more energy, a lower risk to your heart and other organs, a less fatty liver, less visceral fat, weight loss, improved vision, better sleeping and a better life altogether.hope I ain't missed nowt!
The coke industry is in a slump. Already they are diversifying into 'more healthier drinks' but they still haven't got it! Sports drinks and energy drinks should be banned, packed lunches have stopped in primary schools because of free school dinners, it should come with dietary
lessons as well!
The tide is slowly turning. Every day there are more of the horror stories concerning obesity. Hopefully the powers that be can change the recommendations and not leave us diabetics to just cope as good as we are able.
Logic dictates that this will happen, but we are not logical creatures!

yes you are correct but is it the so called treats that are the harm or the wallpaper paste and other ingredients in foods these days that you would never think of adding to food yourself?

ingredients dont have to be artificial or preservatives. we are not paying enough attention to the so called non artificial non preservatives ingredients that the companies put in and dont tell you about

who here would go out and get wallpaper paste and eat it?????????????

and yet that is what they put in to foods to thicken them, especially when it is a low fat food.

this is why us diabetics go to the basics that do not involve any ready made foods. maybe by avoiding wallpaper pastes and other ingredients you would never ever put in food yourself this in turn makes you healthier all round?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
yes you are correct but is it the so called treats that are the harm or the wallpaper paste and other ingredients in foods these days that you would never think of adding to food yourself?

ingredients dont have to be artificial or preservatives. we are not paying enough attention to the so called non artificial non preservatives ingredients that the companies put in and dont tell you about

who here would go out and get wallpaper paste and eat it?????????????

and yet that is what they put in to foods to thicken them, especially when it is a low fat food.

this is why us diabetics go to the basics that do not involve any ready made foods. maybe by avoiding wallpaper pastes and other ingredients you would never ever put in food yourself this in turn makes you healthier all round?

Wall paper paste?

No doubt you mean starch, possibly a modified/updated version of the good old flour and water paste?

to be honest, I've been making good old bisto from corn flour since my granny showed no how to.

aimee11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wall paper paste?

No doubt you mean starch, possibly a modified/updated version of the good old flour and water paste?

to be honest, I've been making good old bisto from corn flour since my granny showed no how to.

http://www.wired.com/2007/10/whats-inside-tr/

quoting from above

Cellulose Gum: Also known by the less tasty name carboxymethylcellulose, you could add a little sodium and use it to bind your own books. Or mix it with wheat paste to wallpaper your great-aunt’s house. As the name suggests, with a little effort you could turn it into cellulosic ethanol and use it to power your car through the traffic-packed streets of LA to a Pinkberry.

end of quote

I dont know if it is bad for you to eat as much of this as we do

but i would never consider it as something I would add to food

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The overwhelming impression I get from reading this thread is that a lot of people eat really poorly, and by that I mean packaged and processed food. If you cook everything from basic ingredients, it's a lot easier to know what exactly goes into your food and therefore diet, but very few people seem to do this.

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
http://www.wired.com/2007/10/whats-inside-tr/

quoting from above

Cellulose Gum: Also known by the less tasty name carboxymethylcellulose, you could add a little sodium and use it to bind your own books. Or mix it with wheat paste to wallpaper your great-aunt’s house. As the name suggests, with a little effort you could turn it into cellulosic ethanol and use it to power your car through the traffic-packed streets of LA to a Pinkberry.

end of quote

I dont know if it is bad for you to eat as much of this as we do

but i would never consider it as something I would add to food

It depends really, a lot of it is used in gluten free food, so again, some people don't have a choice.
But it's derived from a natural cellulose, such as wood fibre, so the fact it's also used in some industrial applications is neither here or there really.
As you mention ethanol, (which I drink, usually as red wine), I guess I also drink wall paper paste?
(Apart from the ethanol link, it is also added to some wines as a preservative)

I can also think of a lot of natural products with both food and industrial uses.
I use linseed oil to lubricate my chainsaw blade, so, as I also eat linseeds, I would have to say I drink chainsaw oil.
I use salt added to sand to melt the ice on my drive, so I also eat grit I guess.

aimee11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Absolutely true
So I do not know if these ingredients are problematic or not at the rate and in the form we consume them and I guess research is not being done

forty six

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
the problem with processedfood is that they put ingredients in that you would never eat which are not artificial or preservatives. so if they put in wallpaper paste into low fat yoghurt to thicken it they can get away with advertising it as healthy and natural. no one knows if eating so much wallpaper paste causes health problems

I am always very dubious when it says natural on ingredients lists, after all cat urine is natural but I am sure you wouldn't want it in your food!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am always very dubious when it says natural on ingredients lists, after all cat urine is natural but I am sure you wouldn't want it in your food!

Cochineal food colouring has always been one that brought a smile to my face, when I've read it in natural ingredients.
Then again, I eat snails.

forty six

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wall paper paste?

This was featured on a BBC health programme recently and is in Weight Watchers chocolate éclairs in 3 different forms, haven't bought WW products since!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well if I were going to eat a chocolate éclair, I would only do it occasionally and would probably buya good chocolate éclair from one of the local pattiseries .I live in France and have some excellent local ones to choose from. (small eclairs aren't actually that high in carbs/calories but it's obviously relative.
Wall paper paste, not too keen on eating it but we used to use wallpaper paste (without a fungicide) for craft work with young children . They might well stick their fingers in their mouths or even eat it but it was known to be non toxic.
E466 is the number to look for on labels for Carboxymethyl cellulose. You can check what all the others are on this site too.
http://www.food-info.net/uk/e/e466.htm
If you want to look up safety reports then you can do that on the EU website http://ec.europa.eu/food/fs/sc/scf/out02_en.html

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well if I were going to eat a chocolate éclair, I would only do it occasionally and would probably buya good chocolate éclair from one of the local pattiseries .I live in France and have some excellent local ones to choose from. (small eclairs aren't actually that high in carbs/calories but it's obviously relative.
Wall paper paste, not too keen on eating it but we used to use wallpaper paste (without a fungicide) for craft work with young children . They might well stick their fingers in their mouths or even eat it but it was known to be non toxic.
E466 is the number to look for on labels for Carboxymethyl cellulose. You can check what all the others are on this site too.
http://www.food-info.net/uk/e/e466.htm
If you want to look up safety reports then you can do that on the EU website http://ec.europa.eu/food/fs/sc/scf/out02_en.html

The problem is, it's more likely to be in the cream, so even if they bake daily, unless they buy in the cream daily, then whip it, there's still a good chance that's the one bit they'll buy in.