Hypo Symptoms

LittleFragge

I don't get diabetes or my body sometimes. Don't know if anyone has experienced this.

This afternoon I checked my sugars before lunch and they were 3.3. I felt absolutely fine, no symptoms at all. Only tested because I was about to eat.

Then later today about 5:30 felt like my sugars had dropped to the floor. Was shaking, had my cold nose (strange symptom I know) felt sick, jelly legged and really weak and was only 4.4.

Has anyone else had this?

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I get this sometimes and it has left me confused. However I now think that is the speed that your BG drops effects the severity of the hypo symptoms, i.e. quick drop = severe symptoms, slow drop = less severe symptoms.

toby64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, interesting to hear you say this as i have noticed over the years many different changes from different types of insulin, the most dramatic change was from my old Pork and Beef insulin's to the new human insulin's. The old Pork and Beef Hypos all felt the same and i think that they did not come on as fast as they do with the newer insulin's the first symptom was tingling lips and then the tongue would start if nothing was done soon enough, and then the shakes. The newer insulin's the first thing i noticed that was different was the speed at which the hypo would come on you compared to the old times and that it would take longer to come out of it and the trouble with that was i continually was overdosing and ending up hypering continually. In my life time i have only ever had 6 different insulin's for any long periods but have had a couple of bad experiences with insulin that did not suit me, recently i have changed again and a new lot of symptoms have come on with hypos, the only symptom that is the same as the older one has been the sweats, the main one that i do not like with the new ones is the heart palpitations,i have been a type 1 for over 53 years now
hope this may have helped you in some way, there are many symptoms i have felt with all my hypos but these are the things that i have found most dramatic to me.
Regards
Toby

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've never used non-human insulin, but I've tended towards two types of onset of hypos as mentioned elsewhere under MDI. Basal onset and bolus onset. Basal onset is generally relatively slower and symptoms turn up at a slightly lower level. Bolus generally occurs more rapidly and I feel the "dropping" symptoms before I'm actually in hypo. Incidentally, I've noticed that this is reflected in the data I've had from my Libre as well.

The real oddities have been the very occasional sudden steep drops that I've been unable to explain on basal. I haven't had one since using my Libre, so whilst I don't want one, I will have to wait for that to occur.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I don't get diabetes or my body sometimes. Don't know if anyone has experienced this.

This afternoon I checked my sugars before lunch and they were 3.3. I felt absolutely fine, no symptoms at all. Only tested because I was about to eat.

Then later today about 5:30 felt like my sugars had dropped to the floor. Was shaking, had my cold nose (strange symptom I know) felt sick, jelly legged and really weak and was only 4.4.

Yes I have had this, welcome to the world of the diabetes fairy :oops:

Best wishes RRB :)

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have noticed that If i drink caffeine it tends to keep my sugars elevated but when the caffeine wears off my sugars really start to drop, at this point i REALLY notice the low, usually around 4.5, when normally i don't feel anything out of the ordinary until around 3.8... There have been times when i dropped to 2.8 while at work just talking with co-workers and no one noticed anything strange until checked.

I also find i notice symptoms when coming up from a low.. like i will drop to 3.5 without noticing anything, but then i will eat and when coming i will start to get shakey and feel 'low' when i'm actually at like 6...

I have also read that the more frequently you have 'low' levels, the less intense the symptoms. So going 'low' a lot will just make it less and less noticeable.. which is both good and bad for obvious reasons.

AndyOD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
eggs
Hello, interesting to hear you say this as i have noticed over the years many different changes from different types of insulin, the most dramatic change was from my old Pork and Beef insulin's to the new human insulin's. The old Pork and Beef Hypos all felt the same and i think that they did not come on as fast as they do with the newer insulin's the first symptom was tingling lips and then the tongue would start if nothing was done soon enough, and then the shakes. The newer insulin's the first thing i noticed that was different was the speed at which the hypo would come on you compared to the old times and that it would take longer to come out of it and the trouble with that was i continually was overdosing and ending up hypering continually. In my life time i have only ever had 6 different insulin's for any long periods but have had a couple of bad experiences with insulin that did not suit me, recently i have changed again and a new lot of symptoms have come on with hypos, the only symptom that is the same as the older one has been the sweats, the main one that i do not like with the new ones is the heart palpitations,i have been a type 1 for over 53 years now
hope this may have helped you in some way, there are many symptoms i have felt with all my hypos but these are the things that i have found most dramatic to me.
Regards
Toby

Funny how everyones' experiences vary from memory:-
Bovine ( Splitting headache like someone had put an axe through the middle of my head)
Porcine really bad sweats and headaches at the sides of my head - nowhere near as bad as the Bovine insulin
Human - started to feel hungry then test and yep low, if I get really low then the sweating at the back of the neck and the circles in the eyes also get light headed.

On the subject of the lows - apparently the more low blood sugars that you have you become desensitized to them and they can creep up on you more easily, so unfortunately the only thing that you @LittleFragge can do is to monitor more closely :(

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I managed to have my worst ever hypo of 2.1 on Thursday without feeling particularly low, just had a feeling I had to test. I was lying down at the time though which I sometimes feel makes the symptoms not so severe.

I did also then feel worse once the reading had come up above 4.0

AndyOD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
eggs

B.T.W. The thing about hypos is that there is a trend involved so lets say you're 3.1 (liver has release glycogen) you'll be on the way up.

next time you feel low - deal with the hypo of course but then try testing every 10-15 mins if you look at the reading you'll see that the trend remains down.

If you have more than one hypo in one day and your liver hasn't had a chance to replenish it's glycogen, then you don't have any thing to do but burn fat ( = ketosis) I have had this when I've been low and it is horrible symptoms included:-
shaking and feeling sick
last thing you want to do is eat,

but believe it or not when you do you immediately stop feeling sick and start feeling better.

Padders91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually find when my sugars are plummeting, say from 15 down to 4 it would feel like I was having a hypo, but it was just the speed in which my sugars where dropping, I hate the feeling, specially when at work.