Need some reassurance

DiaBethic95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just got something on my mind and I need you lot to confirm something for me.
I was out with a couple of my friends (two women who are happily married to each other) about 2/3 months ago.
We had been out to the theatre and then went for a couple of drinks down town. I didn't drink much seeing as I'm diabetic,so I was sober.
While we were waiting for our taxi home at about 1am outside a kebab shop, a man came up to us who looked fairly intoxicated. He started shouting abuse at my friends once he found out they were lesbians. We walked away but he caught us up and beat up one of my friends. I rang the police and they took him away.

I'm due in court tomorrow to give my evidence.
I have just found out that he has told the court that he wasn't drunk, he's diabetic and was in a hypo at the time of the assault.
Now I know sometimes being hypo you don't know what you're doing and some people may get a little angry.
But surely he can't blame diabetes on him being a homophobic woman beater???!!!???!?!????!

I just can't come to terms with it, are they really going to believe him? If they do ... What else can people blame being diabetic on!?!?!?

Please help!
Thank you!

A very confused Beth.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You would hope that the police that took him away would have some record of if he was drunk or hypo.

Reactions: 2 people

DiaBethic95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apparently he had to go to hospital because of his diabetes or something along those lines.
I just feel as though he is using it as an excuse?

AndyOD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
eggs
I think you might be right unfortunately it will be a test for the court to see if they know enough about Diabetes to not take it on face value!
Speak to the prosecutor before the trial if you can.

DiaBethic95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for your quick replies.
I guess I will just have to wait and see how it plays out.
You're right, it is a good test to see how much they know about diabetes and if they spent the time to consult a doctor or something to find out the truth!

I really don't understand some people. All this hassle because he doesn't like homosexuals!?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hopefully the prosecution will request info from the hospital to verify his claim of hypo.

DiaBethic95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope so.
It will ruin my faith in the justice system if they let this stop them prosecuting this horrible man.

toby64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Di,
i have been a diabetic for over 50 years, when i start into a hypo i sometimes become aggressive verbally, but do not have the energy to to become physical, i do feel some what surprised though, if he was drunk it seems to me that it would be some how impossible to be having a hypo considering how much sugars are in alcohol?. Further to this i think it is more likely that he was extremely Hyper as this is more likely to bring out the physical side of diabetes, this being said though if the hospital was doing their job, his blood sugars will show either way. Diabetics have enough to have to deal with, without putting alcohol in the mix, i have lost good diabetic friends through alcohol, it is just not worth the risk, so i have never drank.

Best Regards
Toby

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Difficult one to comment on as we don't have all the facts, but hopefully the court will review all evidence and act accordingly, good luck for today.

Tracieo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Surely if he was hypo at the time he could not have had the energy/strength to fight? when I start to go hypo i can hardly work up the energy to move.

Reactions: 2 people

AndyOD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
eggs
I still like to think that the justice system will see to justice - arguably a naive viewpoint but fingers crossed.

DiaBethic95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All went really well!
He pleaded guilty after a long 4 hours in the court room!
Got done for assault by beating and verbal hate crime.
He got a book load of fines and it has gone on his criminal record.
Turned out he was drunk and hypo! But that was no excuse according to the court.

Very happy with the outcome.
Thank you all for your support
Glad he got what he deserved :)

Reactions: 7 people

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
It`s really interesting to know that such can happen and a guilty person can try to get waived from charges on account of diabetes . I agree with some of the comments above that he might not have energy to apply physical force if he was really a hypo . May be he practices such excuse regularly. He needs to be punished if it is proven that he was a fraud.

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All went really well!
He pleaded guilty after a long 4 hours in the court room!
Got done for assault by beating and verbal hate crime.
He got a book load of fines and it has gone on his criminal record.
Turned out he was drunk and hypo! But that was no excuse according to the court.

Very happy with the outcome.
Thank you all for your support
Glad he got what he deserved :)
His homophobia has cost him big time, maybe he will keep his mouth shut and hands to himself next time. Hope your friends are ok.