Soft drinks sugar free

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In my opinion based on resesrch and reading how bad aspartame is I wouldn't advise anyone to make a habit of drinking diet colas. World wide sales have plummeted this year in the diet drinks market.

Reactions: 3 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aspartame is bad and apparently can mess up ur nervous system. With diabetics having risk of nerve damage anyway personally I've been trying to cut it and all artificial sweeteners out, even if it's just an internet myth I'd rather not take the chance.
From what I've read it may only cause short term damage so if u stop any side effects will wear off.

Sparkling water with a slice of lemon (but then again carbonated drinks are also meant to be bad) or warm water with a squish of lemon :)

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Aspartame is bad and apparently can mess up ur nervous system. With diabetics having risk of nerve damage anyway personally I've been trying to cut it and all artificial sweeteners out, even if it's just an internet myth I'd rather not take the chance.
From what I've read it may only cause short term damage so if u stop any side effects will wear off.

Sparkling water with a slice of lemon (but then again carbonated drinks are also meant to be bad) or warm water with a squish of lemon :)
I have dropped Hermasitas, in favour of splendid, it's actually much sweeter than sugar, and my preference in drinks is sucralose(sp) . Trouble is an awful lot of so called sugar free drinks tend to hide the contents or quote E numbers....nice moustache by the way :)

P

Pip16

I have coke zero daily and does nothing to my bg. Also tried various other zero drinks and fine with them too. Tea with 1 sweetener and cream or semi skimmed with coffee no sweetener. Always had 2 sugars in each. Water with ice and slice of lemon. Fruit wise any berries are good for me. Tried a banana after diagnosis and sent my bg up 3.00. Not good, much the same with grapes for me too. I've not tried apples or oranges as yet. Testing before and after you will soon find what you can and can't eat and drink. It's surprising how your taste changes.
I'm also on amitriptyline for past 5 years.
Julie

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Try soda water and a squeeze of lime/lemon. I really love sugar free ginger ale too

K

Kat100

Waitrose do great ginger beer sugar free ...and lemonade with real lemons ....both taste nice .
I stock,up when they are on offer...it is not my local shop ...
It is amazing how you don't want fizzy drinks so much when that thirst decreases ....I used to drink lots of bottles of lucozade ....now I
Know what the problem was ....
Low cal drinks are also an option ....they don't have sugar ....

Reactions: 2 people

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@fionamarie ....Just a suggestion....I was trying to get my partner to cut down on the fizzy drinks and drink more water...I found a concentrated squash in the supermarket which you basically just add to water.......as far as I know it is no added sugar....not sure about the sweeteners without looking ...
I now keep a jug made up in the fridge...you can dilute it to your taste......alternatively as the packet is handbag size you could keep it in your handbag and add to a plain bottle of water as and when required. :)

Vimto make one which my partner prefers but Robinsons also do a range too......google 'vimto 2014 squash' and it will give you the details...:)

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The diet drinks like Diet Coke are fine if that's what you like, the No Added Sugar range of squash drinks are good too, I particularly like the Robinson's Orange & Mango flavour drink, you can tell when they are No Added Sugar as the screw tops are blue.
I never new that, Is that the same with all "no added sugars" or just Roninson's
I will be of to Tesco's tomorrow to have a look.:)

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In my opinion based on resesrch and reading how bad aspartame is I wouldn't advise anyone to make a habit of drinking diet colas. World wide sales have plummeted this year in the diet drinks market.
I think we all should take your good advice, especially branded names that are not well recognized.
I bet many people did not know that Diet Pepsi changed their sweetener last year for obvious reasons relating to Aspartame.

Diet Pepsi has changed its sweetener ahead of a major rebranding of the soft drink set for January 2013.

Last edited by a moderator:

smudges dad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I haven't had a sugary soft drink since diagnosis. I find colas and Irn Bru far too sweet, but get cans of diet or no added sugar drinks (which are much cheaper than the brand names anyway) or the 2 litre bottles - Supermarket own brand. Fruit juice needs looking at carefully to see how much sugar is in it - some add sugar, but some like pineapple or arrange can have a lot of natural sugar in it. Tomato juice is very low on sugars - almost sugar free but one glass can take you over the salt limits for the day (why doesn't anyone do a low salt or salt free tomato juice at a normal price?). Some flavoured waters contain quite a bit of added sugar as well. One other think to watch out for is low fat foods - often they replace the fat with sugar (e.g. pate).

One other suggestion is to have water, but add a lemon or lime to the bottle and just keep refilling it. It's quite refreshing.

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I find 7up Sugar Free is a nice change from coke although not many pubs or restaurants have it. I think it's time drinks manufacturers got creative and made something especially for diabetics as there is a huge gap on the market. I know you can get alcohol free beer but not sure about sugar content in these.

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The occasional sugar free drink is all right for me, but if I have one every day for a few days, I start to get hungrier and want to eat more. So if you are overweight or have problems with your appetite, you should test this out. I don't drink them now, they are too much trouble.

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't stop eating fruit... Or bananas! Fruit is good for us. I don't think diabetes should stop is eating what we want as long as we manage our bg levels and take appropriate insulin.

Diet drinks is something else. I used to drink loads! But yeah, it's not good for you so advice diabetic or not is to avoid them. I used sparkling water to help me give up diet coke. The fizz helps :p

susie1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
im glad I found this post ,since I found out I had type 2 back in the summer I have had the runs every morning since .I watch what I eat and have been drinking lilt zero ,sprite zero could it be my drinks do you think

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
I find 7up Sugar Free is a nice change from coke although not many pubs or restaurants have it. I think it's time drinks manufacturers got creative and made something especially for diabetics as there is a huge gap on the market. I know you can get alcohol free beer but not sure about sugar content in these.
I remember TAB & FRESCA I think they were the first couple of sugar free carbonated drinks when I got D in late 75 TAB you could taste the artificial sweetener in it and FRESCA was a fizzy grapefruit drink yuk. I don't think they were directly aimed at diabetics but I use to drink it anyway (ahh the good old days)

whosbear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Some, but not many. Hate shopping at tesco!
I've been talking to other people in my diabetes group about the new Coca Cola Life. For me I am asthmatic and as far as I can see all Sugar Free or Diet soft drinks contain Aspartame or Acesulfame K or similar. Even some fruit cordial drinks. These drinks are no good for me as they narrow my airways badly. Being type 2 diabetic I have many tablets to take and can't swallow tablets with just water. I found this Coca Cola Life and it contains natural sugar, not artificial sugar. The sugar it contains is 'Steviol Glycosides'. When I looked it up it says Steviol Glycosides are responsible for the sweet taste of the leaves of the stevia plant (Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni). These compounds range in sweetness from 40 to 450 times sweeter than sucrose. They are heat-stable, PH-stable and do not ferment. Additionally, they do not induce a glycematic response when ingested, thus making them attractive as natural sweeteners for diabetics and others on carbohydrate-controlled diets.
For me one can (330ml) will last me on average 6 hours or a 500ml bottle could last up to 2 or 3 days on a hot day.
I would recommend it if you have to have a soft drink, unfortunately it's not available in pubs, clubs or restaurants yet though. What ever you chose, ENJOY!

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
im glad I found this post ,since I found out I had type 2 back in the summer I have had the runs every morning since .I watch what I eat and have been drinking lilt zero ,sprite zero could it be my drinks do you think
Without doubt, I would guess, those drinks may contribute to your "runs"
Probably the contents and type of sweeteners they use.
You could try sparkling water with a piece of fresh lemon or lime etc;, and see if it helps. I would avoid sweeteners for a while, might help.
Best of luck with that.