Travel insurance

janeliz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Shopping, smoking
I have been asked to go to New York next October with a group of friends. I should have gone to Turkey in June of this year but I was in hospital 5 weeks with pancreatitis. This was to be my first holiday abroad. I had annual travel insurance and successfully claimed my money back. I had declared my diabetes type 2 on metformin and statins for high cholesterol. I have approached several companies for insurance for next years trip but they all decline. I think it's because I am still having treatment for pancreatitis and because the pancreas doesn't work properly I am now on insulin and classed as type 1. Dilemma- do I not go, they want to book it now, or do I risk getting insurance when hopefully my treatment stops, even though I think treatment in the previous 6 months counts. I'm not even sure when or if treatment will end.
Any advice please from similar experiences?

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bumping this thread up :) hopefully someone who is also on insulin can answer :)

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
get insurance first. If you dont do it that way and book and can not go it will not cover any costs incurred before you took out insurance.

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have recently used a site online called "payingtoomuch.com". I am on insulin and oral drugs for diabetes, 5 high blood pressure tablets, statin, sleep apnoea and IBS. Give them a try - I did it all online - mine was only for Europe but I cannot see that it would be any different for the states.

janeliz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Shopping, smoking
I have recently used a site online called "payingtoomuch.com". I am on insulin and oral drugs for diabetes, 5 high blood pressure tablets, statin, sleep apnoea and IBS. Give them a try - I did it all online - mine was only for Europe but I cannot see that it would be any different for the states.
Thanks. I will try them.

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Suretravel (I think) cover loads of pre existing medical conditions so it would be worth checking if they would cover you. I'm probably going to take out a policy with them myself soon.