FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Interesting about the difference in stickiness.
I took my first one off this morning, for the first week I swam most days with it on (had to give up when the temp got down to 15C in the pool) I still found it hard to get it off.
Feeling very bereft without it now. I didn't find the need to do many blood tests at all for the last week. I was keeping my second sensor for next month but am very tempted to insert it sooner. ( but do I really want to ask my OH for another sensor for my Christmas present?)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have really cut back the bs testing now thanks to the libre.

iHs

Has anyone had a gò at insering the sensor in their stomach? I am puzzled as to why both the Navigator and Libre sensors need to inserted in the arm, whereas others interestial sensors like Dexcom and Medtronic can be inserted in the tummy or arms. What makes the Libre sensor filament any different?

redrevis

As far as I understand it, the Libre was tested and approved for use in the arm. That's it, it just means they haven't tested other areas and therefore can't recommend using other areas. Doesn't mean that any other areas will be any less effective. I've read about people using them on their stomach, top of the buttocks, even on the chest and they've been working as normal so far. I think if you use a different area and you have a problem with the sensor, then Abbott may be less inclined to replace it if you're getting less accurate readings. But that's just my guess, I don't know of anyone who's experienced that as yet.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As far as I understand it, the Libre was tested and approved for use in the arm. That's it, it just means they haven't tested other areas and therefore can't recommend using other areas. Doesn't mean that any other areas will be any less effective. I've read about people using them on their stomach, top of the buttocks, even on the chest and they've been working as normal so far. I think if you use a different area and you have a problem with the sensor, then Abbott may be less inclined to replace it if you're getting less accurate readings. But that's just my guess, I don't know of anyone who's experienced that as yet.

I know someone who inserted below collar bone so interested to see how that works!

Considering the issue I've just had with an arm sensor I'm reluctant to try elsewhere yet, but rest assured I will be soon! I just don't want to risk abbott not refunding/replacing if it wasn't on arm

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know someone who inserted below collar bone so interested to see how that works!

Considering the issue I've just had with an arm sensor I'm reluctant to try elsewhere yet, but rest assured I will be soon! I just don't want to risk abbott not refunding/replacing if it wasn't on arm
Collar bone?! You need a bit of fat for the sensor, collar bone and below is like the skinniest...! Unless they were rather "big"? :)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Collar bone?! You need a bit of fat for the sensor, collar bone and below is like the skinniest...! Unless they were rather "big"? :)
I'm guessing it's kind of on his chest, only spoken to him on Twitter so don't know if he's bigger or not, guess we'll see if the sensor works or not!

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, my first session at the gym with a sensor attached (4 days in from attachment) an it lifted and fell off before I got home.

I'm guessing there's an issue with staying attached when moisture is present underneath the sensor. I'm ringing the customer service team this morning to see what I need to do about this. I'm REALLY missing not seeing my trend graph, and I'd hoped to see what my levels did overnight after exercise.

Is there much I can do to keep it attached?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, my first session at the gym with a sensor attached (4 days in from attachment) an it lifted and fell off before I got home.

I'm guessing there's an issue with staying attached when moisture is present underneath the sensor. I'm ringing the customer service team this morning to see what I need to do about this. I'm REALLY missing not seeing my trend graph, and I'd hoped to see what my levels did overnight after exercise.

Is there much I can do to keep it attached?

I used opsite on my last sensor to keep it down. I'm risking nothing on this one for a few days to see how that goes but I'm more nervous of it this way. With the opsite on I didn't have to worry about it coming off at all. It just didn't look good!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's almost as though different sensors have different amounts of glue attached. Mine's been through a few gym sessions without issue, although I wouldn't say that I sweated particularly from my triceps region.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Went to see my GP today to get some strips for the Libre added to my repeats. He was totally blown away by the Libre - I'm sure he will be on-side should sensors become available on the NHS :)

Next week I am seeing my endo, so will be showing it off there too :cool: It'll be the day after my sensor change, so hope it's not a dud.

Reactions: 4 people

redrevis

So Diabetes UK think these sensors only cost £30 each. Where are they getting this info from? Secret deals with Abbott? :p
lGOsokS.jpg

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My second sensor has been better than my first, but yesterday started to read high again - 3mmol higher than my Mobile at one stage. I rang Abbotts, they took all the details and guess what - another new sensor being dispatched! I tried to get them to tell me if there is a bad batch, but the customer service guy said 'I can't tell you that'. I've no idea if that meant he didn't know or he isn't allowed to tell me. Anyway, in conversation with him, he told me that they expect the Libre to read a little low sometimes as the concentration of glucose can be higher in the blood than in the interstitial fluid, so if the Libre is reading high then there is probably a fault.

Smidge

Reactions: 2 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Went to see my GP today to get some strips for the Libre added to my repeats. He was totally blown away by the Libre - I'm sure he will be on-side should sensors become available on the NHS :)

Next week I am seeing my endo, so will be showing it off there too :cool: It'll be the day after my sensor change, so hope it's not a dud.

At the end of the month, I'm having a sensor fitted by the hospital for a week - it'll be interesting to compare the results with the Libre. I won't get the hospital results immediately though as they aren't displayed - you have to go back and wait for them to download the results from the sensor so I'll have to compare them afterwards.

Smidge

Reactions: 2 people

redrevis

in conversation with him, he told me that they expect the Libre to read a little low sometimes as the concentration of glucose can be higher in the blood than in the interstitial fluid, so if the Libre is reading high then there is probably a fault.
That's interesting as mine does almost always read lower than I am at lower levels. It likes to register I've dropped below 4 during the night, but when I set my alarm, wake up and do a BG test I'm never below 4. This is annoying as it's registering these instances as low glucose events and also counting the time I'm spent as low, so this would be misleading if I wanted to show my consultant my reports. He already thinks my HbA1c is too tight at 6.1%, so he'll probably have a fit if he thinks I'm low every night :-/

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My second sensor is the same lot number as the first. My first was near perfect from day 1, my second took nearly three days to settle down after reading 1-2 mmol/l high. Now it's mostly within a few tenths but can go 1-1.5 high on occasions. Doesn't seem to fit with delayed movement of BGs are they are pretty flat most of the time.

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My second sensor has been better than my first, but yesterday started to read high again - 3mmol higher than my Mobile at one stage. I rang Abbotts, they took all the details and guess what - another new sensor being dispatched! I tried to get them to tell me if there is a bad batch, but the customer service guy said 'I can't tell you that'. I've no idea if that meant he didn't know or he isn't allowed to tell me. Anyway, in conversation with him, he told me that they expect the Libre to read a little low sometimes as the concentration of glucose can be higher in the blood than in the interstitial fluid, so if the Libre is reading high then there is probably a fault.

Smidge

My second sensor is sounding a little like this. My libre is reading consistently higher than blood testing (2-3mmol/l) even when the arrow is a steady one not a rapid increase/decline. Shame as my first sensor was much better and from the same batch.
How much info do they want over the phone? I don't finger prick with the libre I use a contour next.

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
QINzfjz.png

Let me guess.
Lunch @ 12.00
Some chocs @ 14.00
Started on the Mongo @ 18.00