BYETTA

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Anyone use Byetta?

Pauline - how long have you been on Byetta? I am hoping to join you all shortly having had a bad time since GP put me on Gliclazide alongside the Metformin. Within a couple of months of starting on the Gliclazide I had put on a stone (and I already have 4 extra!!) :x
In November last (12 months after being on Gliclazide) I was sent to the DSN because I was asking to go on Byetta. The DSN that I saw said I could not go on it because of my IBS and she started me on Lantus. I think that has made my weight worse and I am not getting the improvement that I need. All of this has got me very down so last week I spoke to another DSN and she said I could try the Byetta but am waiting to hear from her again.
In your experience how soon did the glucose numbers go down?

Any input greatly appreciated and noted for the future. Jude :roll:

stuartclose

hi Jude

my bs started reducing within 10 days, to begin with I had the sicky feeling but that went quite quickly.

stick out for it, its the best method.

stuartclose

sorry Jude someone came to the door.

I started on Byetta in January 2008 - so over a year now. my Consultant has presribed 3 more pens today and I see her again in 6 months for another review.

I just have to eat more calories now to maintain my weight, a few treats in store with careful planning.

have a good Easter.
love Pauline

humph

I am coming to the end of my 2nd pen and have emailed my consultant, He is keeping me on the 5 mcg pen for now.

Bs on a good day has been 6 before a meal, dropping to 5 two hours after, though some days it has been over 10. No weight loss as yet.

Silvercat

I am one of the people who was constantly sick on the 10mg dose for 3 months. Along with the diabetic nurse we adjusted my Metformin dose and the Byetta. I now only have 2 Metformin a day (used to be 4) and am back on the 5mg dose pen.
I went this morning to diabetic hospital clinic and after 6 months my Hba1c is now 5.9 after 6.1 last time. So it seems that for me the lower dose pen works.

vivkaroo

Dislikes
Grumpy people, being bored, Bad weather. smoking

HI TO ALL i think i have said previosly i was on byetta for 9 months first 6 months ok ish but very sick the last 3 really ill couldnt keep food down at all although my blood sugars were between 4and 7 i lost stone and half however had to be took off byetta but 2 months later stone and half back on was then on 4 metformin 2 glicklazide however as bloods were 10 and 12 and finally found out after trial and error that it was the metformin making me ill or as far as we think up to now i am 2 weeks back on byetta on 5mg this time no sickness yet ? hoping there wont be lost 4 lb in 2 weeks think i might get in my summer clothes again :D this is as i said 2nd try bit wiser this time fingers crossed take 2 glucoghage a day no glicklazide by the way they can make you put weight on the glicklazide my bloods between 5 and 8 at moment hoping they will drop little more thats in 2 weeks well pleased if this dont work for me 2nd time dont know what will happen my plate is very small dont have much bread or milk they upset mestick to vedge eggs salad meat fish mostly have ocasional treat my energy is amazing metformin can be very difficult for some people to take my ibs is well amazing but wont speak to soon 30th go back on 10mg gonna be good for easter allthough family bought me massive easter egg though not saying i am gonna eat it i will have to preserve it :lol: hope you get on byetta jude HAPPY EASTER TO EVERYONE :D

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble

Hi Viv,

If you ration yourself to one small piece a day, it won't wreck your blood sugar, and you'll have a treat that will last you right into summer!

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hi Silvercat,

If you are doing well on the 5mcg dose, and it seems to be getting you good results, then there's really no need to be on a higher dose. Unfortunately too many medics see 10mcg as the "standard" dose that everyone should be on, and try to get you there as quickly as possible. In fact many people do very well on 5mcg and just don't need the double strength dose.

Silvercat

Indeed Dennis I agree. It should be looked at individually. Mine was reviewed again today and we decided I am fine right where I am.
To anyone who is very sick on the 10 dose I would say go back and discuss again with your doc.
I am very lucky in the area that I live in as my hospital trialled Byetta before it was on general use and the consultant there has just raised £1 million and built a new diabetes centre.

tinam

hiya, hope every1 is ok. just a quick question does any1 ever get really cold after there injection i do about an hour and half after every injection. ive been on the 10mg for a few months and doing ok with it now. nurse was pleased at last visit. my bloods have dropped to an average of about 5 but sometimes falls to just over 3. thanks

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Never felt cold myself although I think one or two have mentioned it here. Dennis might know ?

You Bg readings are a tad low ( 3 ish ) Look out for Hypo's !! :(

Have they reduced your meds at all and do your DNS team know about how low you are dropping ?

ken :D

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hi Tinam,

I've heard quite a few people say that they are much more sensitive to feeling the cold on Byetta. I felt a little like that during this winter, but then it was the coldest winter we've had in more than 20 years so that must have had something to do with it.

I agree with Ken as regards your BS hitting the 3s. That is much lower that a non-diabetic would ever reach and can be dangerous. Don't you get hypo sensations when you drop that low?

vivkaroo

Dislikes
Grumpy people, being bored, Bad weather. smoking

yes you are right dennis or should say sir dennis its going very well dennis cant speak too soon no sickness you and everyone else have a lovely easter you help so many of us i will save it till after easter then everybody else will have eaten theirs :lol: gonna start going swimming end of the month i know i will have to keep eye on bloods is it best to eat before and after dont know what to do there as i no my blood sugars will drop sure you will advise me dennis thank you

XXXXXXXXXX HAPPY EASTER TO EVERYONE XXXXXXXXXXXX

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hi Viv,

Many people find that exercise actually raises their BS level, so I wouldn't have any extra carbs beforehand, but test before and after the exercise to see what effect it has on you. Might be an idea to take some dextrose or lucozade tablets with you just in case.

tinam

hiya dennis and ken yea i do get the hypo feeling and often need some lucazade... not good. aint really ona ny meds just 1 metformin. the nurse said i should take 3 but give me really sore tummy. thanks for ur help

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes

Tina,

Are you on the 10mcg or 5mcg dose of Byetta?

tinam

hi i am on 10 mcg pen have been for a few months. was on the 5mcg pen for 2 months then the 10 mcg pen.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Tinam.

In my view you are either over medicated and adjustments need to be made ? or you are not eating enough and your Diet needs adjustment.

Either way you need to discuss this with your Medical Team ASAP.

As Dennis has stated a Hypo is not something to be ignored - it can be dangerous.

Ken. :)

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hi Tina,

The reason I asked about the dose is because 10mcg may be more than you need and is most likely to be what is causing the hypo levels. It is possible that 5mcg of Byetta is as high a dose as you need. It can't be the metformin because metformin is not capable of reducing your BS by enough to reach hypo level. And at the levels you currently have, additional metformin is absolutely the last thing you need!

As Ken said, you need to discuss this with your medical team as soon as possible.

philipc

Am coming to the end of the first 5 Microgram Pen so thought would update you all on my progress...

Generally things are doing ok - blood sugars have not decreased yet - still at 9-10 before a meal but i feel brilliant. this could have something to do with the fact that I have lost just about 1/2 stone in the first month on the drug, which i guess is ok - but I am not happy it isnt shifting as fast as I would like so have restarted the xenical alongside the drug (apparently you CAN do this - according to the doctors!!)

With regards to this - I am thinking of restarting the gym ( I stopped because of the drug side effects making me sick) - would cardio be the best idea or would you stick some resistance training in there??

Am going to the 10microgram probably sometime next week - as I have only had one really bad set of side effects ( 3 days off work with tiredness and all sorts of toilet probs) - would I expect more of the same??

Phil ( Who *WILL* win his diet battle!)