Chinese

Winifred12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Having a Chinese with friends this weekend! Sounds like a recipe for disaster! Any tips on suitable menu choices? I'm not a massive lover of Chinese so not sure how I'm going to get on.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
sorry can,t help as i don,t eat chinese, but keep of the rice and noodles

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think most of the menu items will contain some carbs, whether it be batter, rice, sauces etc............

I think just getting meat with a sauce and having a little rice would be good, a satay maybe [peanuts are processed slowly]....:)........the reality is that might not make a difference......

maybe a chicken noodle soup might go easier on the blood sugar..........

the main thing is to enjoy this rare treat.......:)

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
From the Chinese my husband and I normally share and have dry spare ribs, a small starter portion of dim sum mixture, 1/4 crispy aromatic duck and any egg foo yung - mushroom or a meaty one. Sometimes I add the chicken on skewers (not with the satay). I normally bolus for around 30-35g of carbs for that and get a very small temporary spike but nothing to worry about. Enjoy. Ps - it's not a regular thing with us but a lovely treat now and again.

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
As a T2, I always have to watch my carb intake carefully (not yet on meds) - which is nearly impossible with Chinese or other oriental foods.

I love them, and may occasionally let my hair down and just indulge. - Last year, I was in VietNam for two weeks - and there was no avoiding carby food (lest I chose to starve :( ) - and after a few days, I just stopped measuring bgs, no point, no low carb foods available, and I just started enjoying.

Now, if you are a T1, you may assess your bolus before the meal - and if a T2: just enjoy and get back up on your horse again afterwards.

annelise

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you get the chance to choose where you go, the buffet style Chinese restaurants where you choose your food and they cook it for you are great. The bigger they are the more choice you get plus more fun and you exercise between courses!