Breakfast so difficult

A

AnnieC

I find breakfast such a difficult meal I am never really hungry in the mornings so I force myself to eat something if not I probably would not eat until lunch time when I would mostly have cold chicken with salad
My breakfasts are mostly one slice of Burgen toast with an omlette or scrambled egg with ham and cheese a couple of times a week and cold meat or sardines mashed with vinegar and mayo with tomato and cucumber on other days I am now getting a bit bored with that. I don't like a fry up not even for lunch and I can't face berries and yogurt in the morning

C

catherinecherub

Have you tried thinking outside the box?
Traditional breakfasts can be boring but there is nothing to stop you having soups, leftover veggies made into a frittata, a portion of a main meal, cook extra the day before. If you eat cheese you could make a welsh rarebit. I add a small amount of mustard and some vinegar to grated cheese.
Have you tried a small portion of porridge with added seeds and crushed nuts?
?

Reactions: 4 people
A

AnnieC

Have you tried thinking outside the box?
Traditional breakfasts can be boring but there is nothing to stop you having soups, leftover veggies made into a frittata, a portion of a main meal, cook extra the day before. If you eat cheese you could make a welsh rarebit. I add a small amount of mustard and some vinegar to grated cheese.
Have you tried a small portion of porridge with added seeds and crushed nuts?
?
Never thought of the Welsh Rarebit or the left over veg as a Frittata I will be trying that Not the porridge though don't like it but that is what my husband has every morning porridge with added seeds

Reactions: 2 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
This time of year I have 2 or 3 herta frankfurtas, 40 to 50 seconds in the microwave. Keeps my sugars from rising anymore and fills me up nicely.

alliebee

I'll tell you what is nice. The Mattersons pork sausage. They ones in a pack a large sausage in a u shape. Many flavours. I just cut a few slices and microwave for a minute. They taste so much better when hot. They are almost pure meat and don't raise my bgs by anything. The joy is just cut s few chuncks and nibble with a cuppa

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have whatever I fancy for breakfast. It's not always a 'breakfast' food. If I'm not hungry I don't eat until I am hungry, so I may have brunch instead or skip breakfast altogether. I know that most people say you should always have breakfast, but it suits me and my body to skip it sometimes. We are all different aren't we?

Reactions: 4 people

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried wheatabix with warm milk and fruit or special k type cereals with cold milk and fruit. This time of the year my favourite is wheatabix with warm milk and berries. My BG seems good with this for breekie.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

K

Kat100

Hi Annie my breakfast is always routine ...have you tried the welsh rarebit it sounds like a nice idea ...
Best wishes Kat ..I am almond milk with alpen so added sugar ...

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
My easy breakfast is nuts (any kind, though I like almonds) and double cream with a square of high-cocoa dark chocalate broken into it. As easy as cereal but LCHF. Of course, if you're aiming for low-cal or low-fat this would be a disaster.

Another thing I have on days when I don't feel like eating is a mug of protein shake such as Promax (which doesn't taste too sweet). I add double cream to make it more palatable and raise fat content, but it's quite drinkable on its own and acts as a meal replacement till you can face food at lunchtime.

Kate

frankman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well Friends,

my usual breakfast is 3 Weetabix with cold milk, sometimes followed by a banana, an apple or 2 tangerines. Doesn't take much to keep Frankman happy!!

A

AnnieC

I'll tell you what is nice. The Mattersons pork sausage. They ones in a pack a large sausage in a u shape. Many flavours. I just cut a few slices and microwave for a minute. They taste so much better when hot. They are almost pure meat and don't raise my bgs by anything. The joy is just cut s few chuncks and nibble with a cuppa
Sounds good

A

AnnieC

My easy breakfast is nuts (any kind, though I like almonds) and double cream with a square of high-cocoa dark chocalate broken into it. As easy as cereal but LCHF. Of course, if you're aiming for low-cal or low-fat this would be a disaster.

Another thing I have on days when I don't feel like eating is a mug of protein shake such as Promax (which doesn't taste too sweet). I add double cream to make it more palatable and raise fat content, but it's quite drinkable on its own and acts as a meal replacement till you can face food at lunchtime.

Kate
I could not eat cream and chocolate in the morning

A

AnnieC

Have you tried wheatabix with warm milk and fruit or special k type cereals with cold milk and fruit. This time of the year my favourite is wheatabix with warm milk and berries. My BG seems good with this for breekie.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
No I don't like cereals apart from maybe porridge sometimes

Samanthacxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Belvita breakfast bars, the yogurt crunch ones!, they taste so good and great with a cup of tea!. I also throw in some blueberries if I'm still hungry.

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well Friends,

my usual breakfast is 3 Weetabix with cold milk, sometimes followed by a banana, an apple or 2 tangerines. Doesn't take much to keep Frankman happy!!

Does 3 weetabix not spike your BG level in the morning. I was eating Shredded wheat but found it spiked my levels to 10.7 for one shredded wheat and 13 for 2. I was disheartened as I was enjoying them. Now I have two dry Ryvita for breakfast till I do a weekly shop. I start work for 7 am in an office with limited access to make a cooked breakfast. EG a microwave.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Annie. What a shame you can't face the yoghurt. Before starting LCHF I used to have 2 slices of toast with marmalade. Now I have strawberries with a serving of chia seeds and Greek style natural yoghurt and I now love it. I thought it would be a passing phase but I have become so that it is my favourite meal of the day. How about eggs? Poached, boiled or fried?:)

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast is bit of an issue as i end up eating eggs mushrooms and bacons everyday so it gets a little boring

elaineglasgow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find breakfast such a difficult meal I am never really hungry in the mornings so I force myself to eat something if not I probably would not eat until lunch time when I would mostly have cold chicken with salad
My breakfasts are mostly one slice of Burgen toast with an omlette or scrambled egg with ham and cheese a couple of times a week and cold meat or sardines mashed with vinegar and mayo with tomato and cucumber on other days I am now getting a bit bored with that. I don't like a fry up not even for lunch and I can't face berries and yogurt in the morning

I know what u mean I don't really eat breakfast either. Went to see Dietician and she was talking about Potassium a lot and to substitute Diet Coke for water. What.? She didn't say about having to eat breakfast,

frankman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Bluejeans,

I've got no idea whatsoever! :D

I'm not being flippant, I just don't worry about it. What I worry about is my diabetic nurse telling me not to test my bloods too often, because of NHS cuts!! Excuse me?

So on occassion, I may feel, if They don't care, why should I? Well I DO care, it's my body and I will try my best to behave myself.

Frank.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I cant handle cheese in a morning too heavy/strong a taste .
Cheese is for much later in the day for myself .

Love couple of poached eggs with 2 really lean crisp back bacon .
Always the 2 cups of coffee "always"
Cant live without it in the mornings !
Its my rocket fuel :joyful: