What was everyone's blood when they go diagnosed?

SugarPlums

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Trouble was 40 years ago when I was finally 'diagnosed'
BS readings were academic as I was blind through rapidly
developed cataracts. I had classic symptoms but because
I drank a lot the GP thought I liked a few beers ! . After
emergency entry for Insulin treatment and subsequent
eye operations everything worked out. At least the GP got
a good Bol!ick!"£ from the Surgeon which was small consolation
to me.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Trouble was 40 years ago when I was finally 'diagnosed'
BS readings were academic as I was blind through rapidly
developed cataracts. I had classic symptoms but because
I drank a lot the GP thought I liked a few beers ! . After
emergency entry for Insulin treatment and subsequent
eye operations everything worked out. At least the GP got
a good Bol!ick!"£ from the Surgeon which was small consolation

to me.

I love your Gort avatar, so cool and one of my all time favourite films,'The day the earth stood still.' sorry for derailing o_O :angelic:

RRB

Johnny 141

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
6 months ago I was drinking for England (& weeing), I went to the Drs about something else & happened to mention my thirst,got tested,it was 29,got taken to hospital,luckily they stabilized me quite quickly so didn't have stay in.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No idea what it was, Dr dipped my urine and said you have type 1 diabetes, 2 days later I was in hospital and stayed their for the week.

uncle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I felt awful for about a week, not eating, not particularly drinking lots, but very weak, didn't lose weight either. Went into work and couldn't walk up 3 steps, boss took me home, I said I would be ok, but couldn't walk to the front door, so lay on the step outside, neighbour made me go into hers phoned my GP who came and took BS - 24 - send to hospital, was in for a week, told I was bored line sepsis, so very lucky.

My eyesight has also improved, but Im long sighted in one eye, short sighted in the other, so it will not totally get better

Ilya83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine was around 7. It was on annual check up. Hate that day so much :mad::mad::mad:

My doc said Hmm.... It's strange... Let's try it again.......and again...........and again...........till now :arghh:

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
20 i think, i was constantly tired, dizzy and always rushing the toilet. Went to the doctors 5 times over the period of 3/4 months and each time i got told it was down to the fact i needed to drink more water, stand up slower and drink less fizzy drinks/tea :|
After getting fed up with their advice i went to a different doctor and got sent to hospital within the hour

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was high 20's. I'd been feeling really rubbish for about 2 months. Had lost a lot of weight, was tired and sooo thirsty. I was putting away cartons of orange juice so dread to think what that was doing to my sugars!!! I had been to the drs 3 times and they still didn't diagnose me. In fact in one visit I was told I just needed to eat heslthy and it was probably the weather (it'd been very rainy!) In the end I read a lot on the internet and self diagnosed. I asked a colleague at work who is T1 to test my sugars and they were high so called the drs and they took me to hospital. Quite and adventure being in A&E on a Friday night as there was no bed for me!
All fun and games eh! I've come a long way since then with the help of this forum :)

Andrea

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have a clue, but it was 42 years ago. I had just finished my final exams at uni. and started developing a rapidly increasing thirst and frequent massive urination. Also started losing weight at an alarming rate. Before I managed to visit my own GP, I was booked in for a medical for a job I was about to start and the doctor confirmed diabetes straightaway. During all this time I never actaully felt unwell or lacking in energy,

My Armour

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine were 22 and of course, I had the usual unquenchable thirst. I'd take trips to the supermarket and buy gallons of apple juice, only to finish drinking it all before finishing the drive home. The biggest thing I remember from the month leading up to diagnosis is the incredible leg pain. I still get bouts of leg pain corresponding with high sugars.. but nothing like that.

The two days after my last apple juice binge, I lost nearly all vision. at this point, it was definitely time to head to the GP!

I was 3 years old and tested for a blood glucose of around 50 mmol/l (Roughly translates to 900 mg/dl).
I lost a lot of weight according to my mum, but all I can remember is trying to hide how thirsty I was because I didn't want to go to the doctors again at that age! It got to the point where I would go to the toilet just to drink from the taps... I'm told that I was rushed to hospital after I became unresponsive and started turning funny colours from lack of oxygen...

I think mine was quite an extreme case though, and ever since I've had some amazing diabetic nurses to guide my way...
I can't imagine a life without my diabetes - even on the bad days I'm somewhat grateful to have met so many wonderful people...

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
60 something according to my parents, I was only 16 months old at the time though (30 odd years ago now...)

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It was 18 (this summer: I was 55). I'd asked for a blood test because I'd been feeling awful for six months and thought I had a B12 deficiency. Vision had got much worse two to three months. I'd lost a couple of kilos.

The doc found ketones in my urine and rushed me to hospital, the hosp said No problem it's T 2, just take Metformin, then the results of the antibody test came back and two weeks later it was T 1 and the hospital doc I saw that day waved insulin at me and said, Take this or get DKA. I was so scared. It was two days before I was taking the family on a once in a lifetime trip to Kenya, off road. That doctor was wrong. If I'd taken the 10u of basal she told me to - ow.

So just stopped eating carbs. Haven't eaten a starchy carb since that day. Found this forum a few weeks later and found my real support here. Thank God for you guys. And I finally worked out what LADA was.

Now do have to take basal, but 3, 4u a day, nothing like what I was told.

Last edited by a moderator:

teh_niarr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
29.7, I astounded a bunch of people with how I was still managing to go to work every day etc. I was drinking constantly, hungry all the time and craving juice and fizzy drinks (which I'm usually not fussed about), barely able to stay awake all day and having horrific leg cramps in the night. It was the cramps stopping me from getting more than a couple of hours sleep one night that prompted me to finally see a GP. Ended up spending three days in hospital, and my nurse said I was only about two days away from being brought in via ambulance.

A

AnnieC

My husband was diagnosed T2 just over 3 months ago his levels were 7.1 at two consecutive blood tests. He never had any symptoms it was picked up at his annual blood test doctor thinks it is because he takes steroids makes you more predisposed to T2 apparently

stinky25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went in to hospital with a reading of 42, stayed in for 2 days.... Had lost around 30 pound in 3 months, thirst from hell etc etc, the rest is history :)

paul4147

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
37, had the usual unqueunquenchable thirst, then went blind, got rushed to hospital, my sight came back after a couple of days, but not as good as it was that was 8 years ago

shedlover111

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
33.....Wandered into A&E in a complete mess after a week off with "flu" was diagnosed with Type 1 immediately, best move I have ever made, guess I had been struggling on for quite a while, now happier, healthier and a lot fitter than I have been in a number of years

So every cloud...........!!