Neuropathy

john1948

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is my first post - so apologies if it doesn't make sense!!
I was diagnosed in July with Type 2 Diabetes and have suffered side effects which are proving hard to get diagnosed, so hopefully, someone out there may have some advice.
I suffer pain in my lower abdomen, groin and hips which are a burning pain together with sharp tingling sensations. I find it difficult to go out and can only walk a few yards with the aid of a walking stick due to the pain. My GP says he has not come across this before, so after 4 months the pain is really starting to affect me and is getting me down.
I am 66 and prior to being diagnosed had a full and busy life, but all stopped when these pains started.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi John, welcome to the forums. Could I ask are you on medication for your Diabites?

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The slow release Metformin is kinder to the stomach than the standard release version.. I expect some one will along soon with advice for you. I was on the standard release .. The effects were very nasty for me. But I am diet controlled now.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

Are you on any other medication? (Some people find statins cause leg pain) there are many drugs out there with thousands of possible contraindications...

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, John1948,and welcome.
I think it is time your Doctor should arrange for you to visit a expert neuropathy consultant.
You should not being going through this kind of agony.
If your Doctor has not come across it, all the more reason for expert advice.

john1948

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, John1948,and welcome.
I think it is time your Doctor should arrange for you to visit a expert neuropathy consultant.
You should not being going through this kind of agony.
If your Doctor has not come across it, all the more reason for expert advice.
Thanks Izzzi, I didn't know that there was such a thing, so will try and find someone local to Newcastle. Cheers

neilalastair

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the western high carb diet.
Do you know your bg numbers , have they got better recently . Mine went very quickly downhill which is good but the rapid good control led to horrendous neuropathic pains in my legs. Basically everything from the base of my spin down felt like it was on fire for several months . Now the pain has subsided but I still get flare ups . The doc describe it to me that the high sugar levels were causing damage that the nerves can now feel due to lower sugar levels. There is something call the neuropathic cocktail which reportedly helps. It is a regime of fish oil and other supplements. A Google should find it .

1207JRVL

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is my first post - so apologies if it doesn't make sense!!
I was diagnosed in July with Type 2 Diabetes and have suffered side effects which are proving hard to get diagnosed, so hopefully, someone out there may have some advice.
I suffer pain in my lower abdomen, groin and hips which are a burning pain together with sharp tingling sensations. I find it difficult to go out and can only walk a few yards with the aid of a walking stick due to the pain. My GP says he has not come across this before, so after 4 months the pain is really starting to affect me and is getting me down.
I am 66 and prior to being diagnosed had a full and busy life, but all stopped when these pains started.

Hi John1948
I get a lot of pain in my groin area and lower back pain and when I went to my GP eventually he ordered an x-ray. The x-ray showed I had arthritis in my hips so just wondering if you have had an x-ray. I can walk fairly well but with a limp but if I over do it I am in considerable pain although I do find ibuprofen works which my GP says is fine to take occasionally. Hope this may be of some help.

john1948

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi John1948
I get a lot of pain in my groin area and lower back pain and when I went to my GP eventually he ordered an x-ray. The x-ray showed I had arthritis in my hips so just wondering if you have had an x-ray. I can walk fairly well but with a limp but if I over do it I am in considerable pain although I do find ibuprofen works which my GP says is fine to take occasionally. Hope this may be of some help.
I have had X~Ray and an MRI which show very mild deterioration in my hips and Pelvis. I have been told today that it may be vascular!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: 2 people