Slipped

Winifred12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Aaargh, been on LCHF for about 3 weeks now, over the last couple of weeks I've only been eating between 30 and 50g carbs. Today I've had 65g and I'm carb craving, blood sugars fine but I've had to have 2 slices of low carb toast! Have felt great, but could fall off the wagon tonight!

Sam72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm the same at the moment. Been doing LCHF since mid sept and found it great. But despite losing 3 llbs and getting a few 6s (first ones) I'm really struggling this week. Massively craving carbs. Have noticed my carbs have crept up a bit over last few days and know that isn't helping. Really feeling miserable today would just love a big sandwich (!) but no bread suits me at all. Either spikes me or gives me indigestion. Or a big piece of Victoria sponge!! Fed up with this. Can empathise!

Reactions: 2 people

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Sam72 i know the feeling - bread is something I miss but it hates me too. I miss the quickness of having a sandwich or toast or a roll. The only time I haven't spiked is if I have fried bread with a cooked breakfast.... It's funny, I've never really eaten a lot of bread but now that I can't have it I long for it.... And dream about eating it lol

My salvation however is berries and double cream - eating this in the evening after my 2hr blood test makes me feel like I am being really naughty..which somehow keeps me on the straight and narrow

Reactions: 6 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From what I've read, the more carbs are reheated the less impact the have on blood glucose, as they turn into restricted carbs. It may only be a small amount but can make some difference.

Winifred12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm the same at the moment. Been doing LCHF since mid sept and found it great. But despite losing 3 llbs and getting a few 6s (first ones) I'm really struggling this week. Massively craving carbs. Have noticed my carbs have crept up a bit over last few days and know that isn't helping. Really feeling miserable today would just love a big sandwich (!) but no bread suits me at all. Either spikes me or gives me indigestion. Or a big piece of Victoria sponge!! Fed up with this. Can empathise!
Ive found done really low carb rolls, only 5.4 and they are not bad ;)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The best way I've ever found to beat carb cravings is fat.

Seriously.

If you are wrestling with them, then forget calories, weight loss and dieting.
Splurge on fat instead. And you won't even notice the carbs falling away.

Things that work for me:
Coffee with cream or low carb hot choc, with cream. Something very comforting about hot rich drinks.
A full fry up, without the carbs.
Egg mayo
Pork scratchings
Steak and blue cheese dressing
Brie
Well, any cheese, really
Greek or coconut yog

Try it.
Works like magic.
:D

Then get back on the diet wagon (if necessary), tomorrow.

Reactions: 8 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
take the fat part of the lchf diet seriously, low carb and low fat will be a headache
Dr Eric C. Westman, MD and president elect of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians (weight loss doctors), has 15 years of experience helping patients lose weight and improve their health using low carb. He has also helped do several high-quality scientific studies on low carb.

" Don't do low carb low fat " @4.00 min in video

Heart, 7 min invideo

Winifred12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The best way I've ever found to beat carb cravings is fat.

Seriously.

If you are wrestling with them, then forget calories, weight loss and dieting.
Splurge on fat instead. And you won't even notice the carbs falling away.

Things that work for me:
Coffee with cream or low carb hot choc, with cream. Something very comforting about hot rich drinks.
A full fry up, without the carbs.
Egg mayo
Pork scratchings
Steak and blue cheese dressing
Brie
Well, any cheese, really
Greek or coconut yog

Try it.
Works like magic.
:D

Then get back on the diet wagon (if necessary), tomorrow.

Hi Bruneria

I particularly like berries and Greek yoghurt and a hot choc with soy milk is going down well at work when everyone is on their lattes.

Where has low carb yoghurts? Not managed to find those yet.

Jo

Winifred12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
take the fat part of the lchf diet seriously, low carb and low fat will be a headache
Dr Eric C. Westman, MD and president elect of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians (weight loss doctors), has 15 years of experience helping patients lose weight and improve their health using low carb. He has also helped do several high-quality scientific studies on low carb.

" Don't do low carb low fat " @4.00 min in video

Heart, 7 min invideo

Hi Jack

Trying to eat as much fat as possible as I do not need to loose any weight. Too much still makes me feel a little nauseous though!

Jo

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always carry salted peanuts which I have in-between main meals if craving or feel hungry,works every time.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Bruneria

I particularly like berries and Greek yoghurt and a hot choc with soy milk is going down well at work when everyone is on their lattes.

Where has low carb yoghurts? Not managed to find those yet.

Jo

Greek yog tends to be higher fat that most (up to 10% with some brands). Total, by Fage is very good. Still has carbs, but the fat slows absorption.
And I've just been shown the coyo brand of coconut yogs (avail in Tescos). They are very low carb, and quite expensive. But I'm wondering if I could make my own...

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I can help with the sponge thing!
Individual chocolate pudding

Recipe makes 2

50g butter, melted in the microwave
3tbsp ground almonds
1 1/5 tbsp sweetner
1/4 tsp vanilla
Pinch of salt
1 egg
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 squares 70% dark flavoured with orange chocolate
Or
1 square 90% chocolate, chopped
2 tbsp pecans

Melt the butter in a bowl, add remaining ingredients and divide into 2 mugs and nuke for 1 minute per mug.

Pour double cream over the top and reluctantly hand over other pudd to other half!;)

Reactions: 5 people

Winifred12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can help with the sponge thing!
Individual chocolate pudding

Recipe makes 2

50g butter, melted in the microwave
3tbsp ground almonds
1 1/5 tbsp sweetner
1/4 tsp vanilla
Pinch of salt
1 egg
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 squares 70% dark flavoured with orange chocolate
Or
1 square 90% chocolate, chopped
2 tbsp pecans

Melt the butter in a bowl, add remaining ingredients and divide into 2 mugs and nuke for 1 minute per mug.

Pour double cream over the top and reluctantly hand over other pudd to other half!;)
Might try this later!