How to live with diabetes?

pp123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can someone tell me the best diet for living with diabetes.?

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its all personal preference. You can eat anything you want as long as you inject accordingly. But i find more injections, and higher doses (for me) lead to a greater variability in my readings and that lack of predictability leads to highs and lows i'd rather not have.

Consistency is your friend.

I have found its much easier to live with a diet that is lower carb (i try not to eat more then 60g of carbs in a meal). The lower the carbs the less insulin is needed and that usually means (at least for me) the chances of being high or low after a meal have significantly decreased.

Also, i find that having a fairly repeatable schedule works best. I try to eat the same foods at the same times (i have a day set for workdays, gym days, and weekends lol). This way once you nail down your basal and bolus rates your much more likely to have similar readings each day, and thus many more 'good' days.

I also make sure i write down everything i eat, when i eat it, my BG levels, and my injection doses in a book i carry around, so when i have to eat out or something new i can look back in the book to the last time i ate it and see how i handled that situation and adjust accordingly. So far it works fantastically.

As a preference I am a vegetarian as well.. but I have been for most of my life, years and years before i was diagnosed so that's neither here nor there lol

AndyOD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
eggs
Can someone tell me the best diet for living with diabetes.?
I am now about to get my head handed to me I expect (LOL)
I would say normal or as close to normal as you can mange.
The key is to think before you eat (what is my BSL ?) (test)
Then say what do I want to be ?
(experiment) - ok yesterday for lunch I was this and injected that
Look at what you were two hours+ after eating note it down if you can't remember or even use the meter it will tell you what you were up to 7 days ago.
Then test next time you eat.
My rule of thumb is simple
RULE: If you intend to inject/eat, TEST
otherwise how will you decide what to do ?

Reactions: 2 people

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am now about to get my head handed to me I expect (LOL)
I would say normal or as close to normal as you can mange.
The key is to think before you eat (what is my BSL ?) (test)
Then say what do I want to be ?
(experiment) - ok yesterday for lunch I was this and injected that
Look at what you were two hours+ after eating note it down if you can't remember or even use the meter it will tell you what you were up to 7 days ago.
Then test next time you eat.
My rule of thumb is simple
RULE: If you intend to inject/eat, TEST
otherwise how will you decide what to do ?

Thats pretty much what i was told by the hospital, don't change what you eat just change how you manage your diabetes.

Maybe I am lazy, or boring but i would much rather just eat salad and not inject then have to guess and go low, and then have to eat something and go high and bounce around until bedtime lol

AndyOD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
eggs
Unfortunately other things affect your BG. Sickness, stress, emotional upset. Too much low blood sugar isn't good either, your body is a big jigsaw don't leave out any of the pieces.