Winning the test strip battle.

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
Hi all,
I won,
My doctor has always told me i can only have enough test strips for two tests a week.

So i contacted my local PCT and asked if driving a 7.5 tonne van and doing heavy lifting for 8 hours a day was safe as my doctor has said.

Answer, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, the PCT say I MUST test before i start to drive at the least for safty reasons and have asked for my details and my doctors details so they can tell her to supply more strips.

So if you drive for a living and dont get enough test strips contact your local PCT.

Graham 1441, Type 2 for 18 months. :D :D :D :D

sandymaynard

Well done graham!
Finally some sense you drive and exercise by lifting, i find the more i walk the more my blood sugar goes up at times

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
I have done two schools in Tonbridge that are close together but a real lot of gear and a walk to go with it , I have tested before and after and have dropped 4.3 mmol.
Graham 1441

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
that is brilliant news :D

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
The thing that worrys me is that if i buy my won strips will that make me a private patient and made to pay for all medication, and is that what this goverment is trying to do so as to save money???????? :!:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
You need your strips for everyone's safety. Your GP MUST give them to you. However, I buy my own and I'm not classed as private.

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Graham,
I got my repeat prescription reinstated, just told the DSN I needed to test and was going to buy my own, she said no way was I to buy any and put my strips back on repeat. As far as buying your own strips and being classed as a private patient, who's to know you've bought them :?:

Cheers the other Graham

manofkent99

Just after initial diagnosis, (Type 2 in December 2005), my GP advised me to test every other day and when he was completely satisfied that I had my bG under control he amended this to every third day. This is still the case. My bG floats between 5.5 and 6.5 with occasional excursions into the low 7s when I have over indulged. I have never had any problems in getting test strips or lancettes prescibed. Maybe I am lucky to have an excellent, interested GP and Diabetic Nurse.

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
It seems the NHS is trying to save money buy cutting down on strips but with this comes more problems later on, and more expencive ones to boot.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
humph said:
Hi Graham,

I pay for my Byetta at the moment and still get my other meds on the NHS.

Why are you paying for a prescription drug - Byetta ?
What area of the country are you in ?

Trinkwasser

Graham1441 said:
It seems the NHS is trying to save money buy cutting down on strips but with this comes more problems later on, and more expencive ones to boot.

Quite! But have you ever met an accountant who looks at the long term? (My ex was an accountant)

Congratulations on your success!

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
Well I make you right just look at what the bankers, I did spell that right didnt I, have done to the world.
Graham 1441

humph

cugila said:
humph said:
Hi Graham,

I pay for my Byetta at the moment and still get my other meds on the NHS.

Why are you paying for a prescription drug - Byetta ?
What area of the country are you in ?

I pay because my GP wasn't interested, he wanted to put me on insulin. I went private and don't regret it, I get to choose my own Consultant.

I don't trust the NHS to do what is best for me, so I do it.

I live in Bedfordshire.

suebear1024

Went to my GP to collect my Prescription for test strips and got told off by the receptionist for using too many, and was rudely told, Dr??? Wanted to know why as well.
I explained to her that I have not long been out of hospital, and it was they who changed by Diabetes medication, and that I've only been on insulin for a few weeks after having been on Metformin for over a year and that I needed to monitor myself closely to reduce any risk of hypos.
I got no apology for her horrid attitude, they surgery was full so everyone heard the conversation.
On my way out of the surgery I saw a notice to patients. "Zero tolerance, against verbal abuse to staff" I think that should work both ways don't you.
I feel quite angry

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Sue,

You have very good grounds for writing a letter of complaint to your practice manager or the GP head of practice and demanding an apology and an assurance that intimidation of patients by reception staff will not happen again. Whether or not you are using too many test strips is not the point - receptionists are not medically qualified and should not be questioning patients about their treatment, let alone doing so where the conversation can be overheard.

suebear1024

Hi Dennis
Thank you for your support, and I will write that letter. I have already reported the incident to the District Diabetic Nurse, and she has written to the Dr.
Sue