What do you usually have for breakfast?

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Looking for some quick and easy ideas of low carb breakfast options please. I really struggle with my levels in the morning and find that the only thing that has no effect on my levels and that I can stomach is avocado. I do like this but it's a bit faffy and awkward. I so miss dropping my 2 rounds of toast in the toaster, used to do it practically with my eyes still closed - sooo easy but now I can't. Even the low carb bread is a problem sometimes. I also like eggs, but how do you make them quick? I got an eggcooker but tbh it's just as faffy as frying or making an omelette, and the fact it comes out looking like a sausage is just wrong.
Any ideas welcome, thanks

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Couple of scrambled eggs only takes few minutes in a pan. I microwave bacon and have they with tin of mushrooms some days. You could make a crustless quiche/ frittata type thing with chopped mushrooms, peppers, ham, bacon, tuna or anything you like really. Mix 3eggs with splash milk , big handful cheese and med pot cottage cheese - season, pour over veg in a quiche dish add sliced tomatoes and sprinkle of cheese- bake till set. Slice into portions which you can microwave till hot in mornings.

Reactions: 2 people

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
can you keep the quiches refrigerated or frozen?

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
can you keep the quiches refrigerated or frozen?
I've not frozen them but yes, keeps in fridge a few days and reheat ok. Just make sure piping hot. Sometimes I line my dish with thin ham so you get a sort of base and can eat holding it in hand.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Omelet. 2mins in the microwave

Mix an egg or two in a cup with some double cream and chopped courgette tomato and mushrooms and a sprinkle of turmeric, then pour into plastic omelt dish. Half way through add some cheese. I add some pre cooked chopped bacon into it as well

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Looking for some quick and easy ideas of low carb breakfast options please. I really struggle with my levels in the morning and find that the only thing that has no effect on my levels and that I can stomach is avocado. I do like this but it's a bit faffy and awkward. I so miss dropping my 2 rounds of toast in the toaster, used to do it practically with my eyes still closed - sooo easy but now I can't. Even the low carb bread is a problem sometimes. I also like eggs, but how do you make them quick? I got an eggcooker but tbh it's just as faffy as frying or making an omelette, and the fact it comes out looking like a sausage is just wrong.
If you like avocado, have avocado. No need to faff about with knives in the morning if you prepare it the night before. If you store the stone in the same container after you prepare it, the avocado will not go brown.

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
thanks avocado sevenfold. I did not know that and will have to try , have been looking for a way to stop browness for ages!
Yes avocado seems to be great for me- good for my tummy, good for blood sugar, and makes me feel healthy. I also don't mind the taste first thing-sometimes eggs or meat etc are just too rich early in the morning and make me queezy.

Protea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
High carb food. Processed food. Any cold drinks.
  • My simple morning breakfast. A bowl of Woolworths (RSA equivelant of M & S) double cream plain yoghurt plus extra cream and two sweeteners. just mix and eat.

Bunjo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been doing my own measurements, generally once a week, on the morning of the day after Day 2 of my 5/2 diet. Partway along I started keeping track of my breakfasts on that day. The extracted figures below show the increase in blood sugar readings from when I get up to 2ish hours after starting breakfast. The carbo column is my guess at whether the meal contained more than the minimum carbs (I've been toying with LCHF too.). The meals are listed in order of greater blood sugar increase rather than date. I usually take V8 vegetable juice with 2 teaspoons of Physlium Husk, a few carbs, but also extra fibre. The 'seedbread' was mostly flaxseed and seeds.

Increase Carbo
-8.20% No Coffee, skimmed milk, V8. Egg, bacon, cheese omelette, no bread
-4.76% No Coffee, skimmed milk, V8. Kippers
-1.72% No Coffee, skimmed milk, V8. Bacon and cheese omelette, no bread.
3.33% No Coffee, skimmed milk, V8. Bacon and cheese omelette, no bread.
4.48% No Coffee, cream and V8 only
6.90% No Coffee and cream, V8 Seedbread, cream cheese, peanut butter, yoghurt
9.23% No Coffee, skimmed milk, V8. Two sausages, egg, two bacon
11.32% No Coffee, skimmed milk, V8. Egg and Bacon, no bread
11.32% No Coffee and cream, V8. 1 egg plus half tin bacon spam
12.28% No Coffee and cream, V8. 2 bacon, 2 egg, cheese
13.79% No Coffee and cream, V8 Tinned kippers in butter
14.93% Yes Coffee, milk, V8, 3 rashers, egg, seeded pitta
18.64% Yes Coffee, cream, V8, sausage, egg, 2 bacon
21.54% Yes Coffee, cream, V8, 2 wholemeal bread, PB and Marmite
22.22% Yes Coffee and cream, V8. Berries, yoghurt, and nut mix
28.13% Yes Coffee and cream, V8, Salami, Protein Flapjack
28.30% Yes Coffee, skimmed milk, V8. Venison sausage, 2 bacon, egg
29.63% Yes Coffee and cream, V8 Yoghurt, cream, berries, nuts
29.69% Yes Coffee, milk, V8, 2 bacon, 2 vegetarian sausages (breaded potato/cabbage/cheese)
49.12% Yes Coffee, skimmed milk, V8. Bacon and granary bread sandwich
67.24% Yes Coffee, skimmed milk, V8. Bacon and half and half bread sandwich
74.00% Yes Coffee, skimmed milk, V8. Seeded bread, marmite and cheese, peanut butter
109.26% Yes Coffee and cream, V8. 55Gr Mesa flakes and milk.

It seems that I have a sensitivity to bread and refined carbohydrates - but can't say that anyone else is the same. Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find a slice of ham between two slices of Edam or Leerdammer makes a fantastic breakfast sandwich.

No need for any of that bread nonsense!

I have been known to get ready, put on coat, pick up bag, grab ham and cheese out of the fridge, leave the house and set off down the road munching.

scampnk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find i'm ok with branflakes, freshly squeezed grapefruit juice and a yault. My readings after that are around 4.6/ 5 but if i have toast then im nearer the 6.2/ 7 mark