Have you been told not to test your blood sugars?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you to everyone who responded to this thread, and to Ian for making it a sticky thread.
I'm using some of the examples in an email to the appropriate people and will report back on how I get on.
In the meantime, do please continue to post here if you have been told not to test, and whatever variant of 'it will make you depressed/it will hurt your fingers/you will get an infection/it doesn't work/etc' you were told by HCPs.

I would like to put my tuppence worth in even though I'm not diabetic.
Testing for my condition is so important that I go through approx 4-6 a day, even though according to my consultant it should be every time I eat. Before and two hours later, obviously to gain control of my condition and to feel well.
The need for information is integral to how my meds are working and if I am low carbing enough.
When I eat, everything I eat except protein turns to glucose (sugar) in my blood at different rates. If I'm not in control my BSLs spike(hyper) then if I don't eat again I hypo. Then subsequently I yo-yo. Up and down till I fast. What my testing does is make me aware of my BSLs in relation to what I eat.
My GP was happy to provide test strips by prescription until he was informed I had RH. However because of the lastest cost cutting(and that's all it is, Tories!!!) until having a conversation with him! It is now on my prescription for RH, he's covering his back!
The wife has T2. She has been refused a meter! At a recent appointment she was advised to go low carb, so I asked how would she know what her BSLs are if she couldn't have a meter. The usual rubbish was spoken! She uses mine!

What I don't get is. If my condition mimics T2 diabetes, and it is essential that I low carb and monitor and be in control, why isn't it absolutely necessary for all us to test and experiment and be in control?

The cost to the country is really out of control to satisfy political agenda.
The logical solution is education.
Every diabetic should be given classes in how to achieve a healthier lifestyle and give them the information necessay to achieve this. If we are to have a health service then it should concentrate on the patients needs and wants. And what works for the majority of diabetics.

Reactions: 4 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Went to see the Vs.[vascular surgeon ] today for the results from my Doppler scan, appears that when I had the scan 3 weeks ago, I had a narrowing of 75% on the archery supplying my left leg, hence the pain I was getting in my hip & left leg when I was walking up a slight incline. He explained the complications that happen to 1 in 100 that have a stunt fitted,
I then explained to him that since I last saw him I had been diagnosed T2 & since I had made the life changes needed to bring my condition under control, that the pain I was getting had faded away to almost completely since the changes I've made, plus I have been checking my leg pulse &.it had been getting stronger over the time & felt almost as strong as the right leg last night. to which he replied, "Well after you saying that & the meds your taking, I think we can put off the opp for now & see how it goes, if you get any problems in the next 6 month's come back to me, after that time you will have to go via your GP. Look after yourself & we're here if you need us. " Result!!!!!!!!
I'm more than sure that this wouldn't have been possible without My GP allowing me to test.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 12 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes well done Paul and thanks so much for sharing with us. it's really encouraging to hear good news like that. :)

Reactions: 2 people

manicarrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This issue doesn't apply to me as a t1 (though I did get my script stopped as I was testing 'too much', this is in another post), BUT my mum was t2, and had other health issues and was told to watch and test as higher BG could indicate other underlying problems. She didn't though, stubborn as she was, and now her death certificate shows a simple UTI as cause of death - with diabetes as a contributing cause. Basically, she may have survived or not even contracted said infection without the diabetes. And if she had tested, she might, just might, have realised something else was going on and got help. This may sound like scaremongering, for which I am sorry. The actual point I am trying to make is that diabetes is dangerous, be it t1 2 or otherwise, treated by insulin, tablets or diet, you need to test regularly to see what is happening. And another thing I'd that simple infections can cause DKA you need to know when to seek help and the only way of doing this is by testing, trust me, I found that one out the hard way (simple stomach bug, felt too ill to eat, test or medicate, cost a nice stay in hospital on a drip)

Reactions: 6 people

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This issue doesn't apply to me as a t1 (though I did get my script stopped as I was testing 'too much', this is in another post), BUT my mum was t2, and had other health issues and was told to watch and test as higher BG could indicate other underlying problems. She didn't though, stubborn as she was, and now her death certificate shows a simple UTI as cause of death - with diabetes as a contributing cause. Basically, she may have survived or not even contracted said infection without the diabetes. And if she had tested, she might, just might, have realised something else was going on and got help. This may sound like scaremongering, for which I am sorry. The actual point I am trying to make is that diabetes is dangerous, be it t1 2 or otherwise, treated by insulin, tablets or diet, you need to test regularly to see what is happening. And another thing I'd that simple infections can cause DKA you need to know when to seek help and the only way of doing this is by testing, trust me, I found that one out the hard way (simple stomach bug, felt too ill to eat, test or medicate, cost a nice stay in hospital on a drip)

Im so sorry to hear about your mum. You are absolutely right of course, testing is so important. Just wish GPs felt the same.

Gracicles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is not about whether the NHS should, or can afford to, provide test strips on a permanent or temporary basis to non-T1 diabetics. Having read #EveryCloud ’s post, and so many more like it over the years on this forum, I wonder whether we could gather together examples of Healthcare Professionals who have told people that it is either unnecessary or just plain wrong to test their blood sugars. It is a scandal that needs highlighting.
Yes I was told this today that for type 2s it's totally unnecessary. I'm still going to buy a monitor and do it though!

kittyvcat1

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My husband has T2 since 1998 and went on insulin in April. We told the DN that we had been testing out meals and she said that was very extreme and testing only needed to be done 3 or 4 times a week despite that my husband drives on a regular basis and the DVLA advise testing before driving. We are finding it hard enough getting any kind of balance with insulin and find testing really useful. Needless to say we are continuing to test.

Reactions: 6 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
My husband has T2 since 1998 and went on insulin in April. We told the DN that we had been testing out meals and she said that was very extreme and testing only needed to be done 3 or 4 times a week despite that my husband drives on a regular basis and the DVLA advise testing before driving. We are finding it hard enough getting any kind of balance with insulin and find testing really useful. Needless to say we are continuing to test.
While I was still on gliclazide My practice nurse insisted that DVLA were totally wrong and I did not need to test before driving.:woot:

julie1881

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed type1 just over two months ago - I was first told to test 4 times a day - when I went to see my consultant he told me to test twice a day (Morning & tea - Dinner & supper) - what he said was true - my results of testing are virtually always the same so why make my fingers hurt if I don't have to - I was testing like a maniac -I already know if it's a little higher than normal what I've eaten so I understand the little blip!
I do however test EVERY time I go to drive unless I've just eaten - I do not care what anyone says I can't afford to lose my licence because I was dumb enough not to test!
I personally was testing more often for my piece of mind no other reason guess for now I;m just lucky my sugars are stable enough for me to not have to worry!

Raybo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my prescription withdrawn without notice and didn't find out until I collected the prescription. This meant that I could not test for 2 days until I got them re-instated. Result? DVLA says that I didn't have 3 months readings on my meter and revoked my LGV licence. I am now having to fight them through the courts.

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my prescription withdrawn without notice and didn't find out until I collected the prescription. This meant that I could not test for 2 days until I got them re-instated. Result? DVLA says that I didn't have 3 months readings on my meter and revoked my LGV licence. I am now having to fight them through the courts.
That's atrocious, hope you have put a complaint in to you GP

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
I was told I only need to test when I am ill. I test as often as I feel the need to-I want to know what is going on to keep myself healthy.

beardie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told testing would be detrimental as I am no longer diabetic. i was also told testing would be detrimental when i was diabetic before achieving non diabetic levels by testing.

fluff4brains

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been told I don't "need" to test 7 times a day, just keep an eye out for odd things.

I think GP was being cautious that I don't get too obsessive, or disheartened by the occasional bad set of readings.

Well, that's very thoughtful of him, and he is supplying enough strips for a modest testing regime, but I have a more complex situation and have noticed patterns that won't appear with one or two tests a day.

So, whilst I can afford it, I will splash out on a private pot of strips for my own edification. He'll supply enough for 2-3 a day - good on him, but I will supply the rest until we know what's going on.

My body, my data, my prognosis.

Reactions: 8 people

beardie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told I only need to test when I am ill. I test as often as I feel the need to-I want to know what is going on to keep myself healthy.
That is one of the daftest yet. Who told you that? You have diabetes so you are ill.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been told I don't "need" to test 7 times a day, just keep an eye out for odd things.

I think GP was being cautious that I don't get too obsessive, or disheartened by the occasional bad set of readings.

Well, that's very thoughtful of him, and he is supplying enough strips for a modest testing regime, but I have a more complex situation and have noticed patterns that won't appear with one or two tests a day.

So, whilst I can afford it, I will splash out on a private pot of strips for my own edification. He'll supply enough for 2-3 a day - good on him, but I will supply the rest until we know what's going on.

My body, my data, my prognosis.
SD codefree meter and strips work out to be a lot cheaper to use.

http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm

if you buy extra boxes of strips there is a discount code ..5 packs 264086

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
That is one of the daftest yet. Who told you that? You have diabetes so you are ill.
My DN told me only to test when I as ill, which I strongly disagree with and didn't take any notice, so I agree with you there. However, I'm sorry but I have to disagree that being diabetic does not make you ill, it just means you have an underlying health condition that you must pay attention to, otherwise you will become ill. I am certainly not an ill person, but that's because I test regularly so i know what to do to keep myself well.