How long should it take to reduce blood sugar readings?

alpman65

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello

I am just trying to manage my expectations. I was diagnosed with Type 2 three weeks ago. My doctor took a reading that was nearly 19. I had no idea what that meant at the time. The next day having fasted, they took another reading that was 11.5. Since then I have joined a gym and am exercising for an hour a day 6 days a week. I started a low-carb diet this week, I have stopped drinking and am doing all the 'right things' etc. The good news is I have lost 7lbs in weight. However I have purchased a machine and my readings are now between 8.5 and 10 whenever I take one. I know this is better than where they were but I am wondering if they should have reduced more dramatically or if this is a normal speed of reduction. I don't know what is realistic. I have been prescribed Metmorfin as well by the way. Thanks.

Reactions: 2 people

Sam72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think that sounds good for 3 weeks! I was diagnosed mid sept with fasting BS 27 and hba1c 13.9. I started low carb and exercise too. I've lost a stone ish and my levels have slowly come down to mainly 7s.

Keep going! I even had a few 6s this week.

PSS

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
G
Hello

I am just trying to manage my expectations. I was diagnosed with Type 2 three weeks ago. My doctor took a reading that was nearly 19. I had no idea what that meant at the time. The next day having fasted, they took another reading that was 11.5. Since then I have joined a gym and am exercising for an hour a day 6 days a week. I started a low-carb diet this week, I have stopped drinking and am doing all the 'right things' etc. The good news is I have lost 7lbs in weight. However I have purchased a machine and my readings are now between 8.5 and 10 whenever I take one. I know this is better than where they were but I am wondering if they should have reduced more dramatically or if this is a normal speed of reduction. I don't know what is realistic. I have been prescribed Metmorfin as well by the way. Thanks.

Well done and keep going. Ask your doctor for HbA1C test as well. But remember it is an average over three months. Would be good to know what is now and then you can see how it come down over the next few months.

alpman65

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think that sounds good for 3 weeks! I was diagnosed mid sept with fasting BS 27 and hba1c 13.9. I started low carb and exercise too. I've lost a stone ish and my levels have slowly come down to mainly 7s.

Keep going! I even had a few 6s this week.

6's are my dream! Well done you.

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
Really wonderful to get such numbers in just 3 weeks. If you continue, I believe soon you can reach there where you want

manicarrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds great, you need to reduce your levels gradually like that anyway, I had a little bit of a bollocking a few weeks back, I am T1 and had neglected the diabetes and missed appointments for various reasons and things that had taken over in life. Anyyyyyyway, the consultant said, and I quote ' I could have you on a ward and on a drop and get your blood sugar down overnight, however this would play havoc with your eyes among other things as your body is used to having so much sugar in it. It's best to lower it gradually over weeks so your body can adjust to the changes' my hba1c was 101 which I think equals to an average reading of 13.5 if I remember rightly. It's taken me 6weeks to get it down to 78 which equals about 9.6 and they have given me until January to get it down to 'normal' levels. To have reduced it as much as you have is great, regardless of t1 or 2, your pre ratings were too high and heading in the right direction, so you are doing what you need to be doing

manicarrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also, I notice you say what your readings are 'whenever I take one' it might be worth your while to do it a bit more regularly before and after meals, to see what is going on and if there are any 'culprits' which you can weed out. I came unstuck on salted crackers, thought they were great, sugar free blah blah, then had a reading of 21.7. Read the packet and the top three ingredients were dextrose, maltose and glucose. Not sure if you know this, and I don't mean to treat you like and idiot, but I didn't realize this - if an ingredient ends in a ose, then it's a sugar.

Reactions: 4 people