Hair loss

Dzialo

Hi just got diagnosed with type 1 and my hair is falling out bit by bit everyday, is that normal because of the shock?? Or stress?? Or a side effect from medications??

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Hi,
i had some hair loss when my thyroid was underactive, do you know if yours is ok? there are lots of things it could be so suggest seeing your dr if it is worrying

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, low thyroid can cause hair loss and bad hair quality.

Also check your iron: Hb and Ferritin, anaemia can cause hair loss.

K

Kat100

If thyroid or iron problems, when sorted your hair should grow back, had both problems, both awful .....get well soon ...Kat

Disneyfan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I lost a lot of hair around diagnosis, and it's all clearly growing back now. I researched it and it was suggested it could be hormonal imbalance, insulin is after all a hormone

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I seemed to be loosing loads around the time of diagnosis, I was finding it everywhere and when I washed it there seemed to be 'handfuls' blocking the plughole ( it probably seems more than it really is . ) It grew back fine.
As stated earlier thyroid problems can also cause hair loss . Personally, I perhaps lost some before being diagnosed with this but not nearly as much as at T1 diagnosis.

Last edited by a moderator:

dia21

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi just got diagnosed with type 1 and my hair is falling out bit by bit everyday, is that normal because of the shock?? Or stress?? Or a side effect from medications??
In Diabetes hair loss is a certain problem. Stress and autoimmune disorder are main causes of your hair loss. you must consult with a good hair doctor or dermatologist. You should get checked your Blood Level, Thyroid level.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had this exact issue!

About a week or so after my diagnosis i was noticing much more hair loss then usual, and freaked out because i thought it may be a thyroid issue, so i had some blood work and my thyroid was fine. So...

Turns out that 'Hair loss from stress" is something that usually occurs a couple months AFTER the stress starts, its not like on TV when it happens the day you miss your flight or after a tough meeting at work lol

Hair follicles go through a cycle, and the last phase in the cycle is the 'resting' phase where they just rest for a month or so, and then fall out. When your body goes through significant stress (like undiagnosed diabetes can put you through) many more follicles enter into that rest phase, and that phase becomes a bit shorter so your body doesn't have to deal with resting hair lol. So this means that more of your hair will end up fall out a month or so later, depending on the amount and duration of stress your body was under..

This will last for like 2-3 months, but then it should return to its normal cycle.. So everything should work itself out, well mine did, its better then ever now lol

Best of luck!