Split levemir timings

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there any reason why you should split levemir 12 hours apart. I think I need to start taking mine twice as currently my one dose at 6pm seems to be running out about 4pm.
I wondered as during the week I'm up at 6:15am so could take some then but on the weekend I tend to get up much later and so would prefer to take it later. I also get DP so don't want some of the levemir running out at 3am when that kicks in.
Would it matter if I took it at say lunchtime and later evening?? E.g 1pm and 9pm
Any advice?
Thanks
Andrea

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm sure there are people who don't use a 12/12 hour spelt, so you could say take it at lunch,say around 12pm and again at 10pm if that suited you.

Alternatively you could try lantus, I've always found it lasted 24 hours and not had to split-dose, but you could also make enquiries about Tresiba insulin which might be a better option, it's said to last 42 hours but you still have to take it everyday, the beauty of it is you can be a bit more flexible with the timing I believe, @robert72 uses Tresiba.

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Andrea - I have had a very flat basal since using Tresiba.

It lasts 42 hours as Nigel says, but you take it once a day. I usually take it at the same time but I hear it is more forgiving if you forget.

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was on levimir when i was first diagnosed and I had the same problem! It seemed to run out really quickly so I am now on Lantus at night and it seems to work alot better so maybe ask your doctor if you can change over, give it a try it wont do any harm. BUT dont forget you have to give it a few days to start working properly, It took me 2 nights of using Lantus to start noticing a difference! Hope this helps!:)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Many people split Levemir as it only last 12-15 hours. I don't split mine but take my daily dose at 11pm; this means it's conveniently by my bed. I adjust my Bolus ratio during the day to take account of the fading of Levemir at the evening meal.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I used it I took a dose before bed and then one at breakfast, so I was actually overlapping my dose.............

this was to help out with the Dawn Phenomenon.........

a 12/12 hour split is the best place to start though........:)

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure there are people who don't use a 12/12 hour spelt, so you could say take it at lunch,say around 12pm and again at 10pm if that suited you.

Alternatively you could try lantus, I've always found it lasted 24 hours and not had to split-dose, but you could also make enquiries about Tresiba insulin which might be a better option, it's said to last 42 hours but you still have to take it everyday, the beauty of it is you can be a bit more flexible with the timing I believe, @robert72 uses Tresiba.
I don't split levemir and seem to be getting a nice 22-24h action :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
How long has your Levemir been out of the fridge? I've found that older insulin vials are often less effective and this may be your issue.

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I swapped for a new pen and still no joy. I've done a couple of basal tests and it definitely only happens about 18- 20 hours after my levemir dose. My sugars just go up about 1.5 mmol every hour and then stops rising when my next dose kicks in. I've been doing a bolus to counteract the rise but prob not the best long term solution.
A

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Kelsie

I was in the same situation as you and didn't know what to do on my 'lie in' days so I changed mine to 9am and 9pm everyday so I was guaranteed to be awake by 9am and I take my morning one as soon as I get to work so works nicely :)

Reactions: 4 people

toby64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello All,
the reason i have 2 levimir injections is to try and keep a consistent insulin running in the back ground, and then use the Nova Rapid and carb count to manage the meal times, and catch the highs that may develop, i have been using 2 injections of long acting insulin's for many many years, So long infarct, when the Human insulin was first introduced, and i was on the pork and beef insulin they could not get me settled properly ,so they suggested that i may need to have a second long acting insulin around 8pm at night, and then they proceeded to tell me i would be one of the first patients in Australia that had to have it done this way,. It works fine, and i actually take less insulin in total than many of my diabetic friend, highly recommend you talk to you Endo or nurse about establishing 2 Levemir injections a day. Hope this may put your mind at rest, but you must keep in mind that we are all different, and what works for me, may not work for you, but i do recommend that you at least try it .
Best Regards
Toby.

Reactions: 4 people