Tingling

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone
For 18 years I have been a type 1 diabetic, now using an insulin pump for the last 8 years.
For a while now I have been having problems with my hands. It started off with a clumsy feeling and keep dropping things... This was investigated for carpal tunnel but that came back negative and my nerves in my hands were perfect.
Lately it has been getting worse and I get a lot of tingling and also pain running up my right arm. Does anyone else get symptoms like these?
Bit stressed but I can't get in at my doctors until 3 weeks time.
Any help or advice will be gratefully received.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Diabetic Neuropathy can effect the arms and hands as it effects the nerves, resulting in the symptoms that you describe, but that said there may be a number of causes so its best that you wait and see what you gp.

AndyOD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
eggs
Recently I had some numbness in the fingers
although I am the last to normally recommend things
I have found since I got my bioflow bracelet it seems to have reduced.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I have similar symptoms , some of which (clumsiness, dropping things) started about 18 months before I was diagnosed with type 2 this time last year. It's mainly my right arm too. I think sometimes it's a bit worse when my glucose levels are higher, and also very often when I first wake up. So I think maybe my pins & needles is possibly aggravated by bad circulation if I've slept most of the night on that side. But at the moment my little finger is permanently tingly/numb, and to a much lesser extent my third finger too, and my whole hand feels rather weak. I'm left handed but it still surprises me how much I need to use my right hand! But I don't have any suggestions for you Emma, but if you're right handed it must be a real nuisance for you so at least you have my sympathy.

I spoke to the practice diabetes doctor about this in July when I had a review, and his attitude was that I hadn't had diabetes long enough for it to be related, and gave me a leaflet with exercises for trapped nerves. :mad::banghead::banghead: I told him I'm an accident waiting to happen as one of my biggest fears is dropping a container of boiling water all over me, which didn't bother him at all! As far as I'm concerned he's a complete and utter waste of time, and I shall check with my own GP when I next see him.

Robbity

PS At the moment I quite often get so frustrated when I'm dropping stuff all over the place and end up having a fit of the "screaming abdabs". My lovely sympathetic husband can then be heard in the background muttering about bad tempered old cows which does nothing to help matters. :wideyed:

Reactions: 2 people

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, I have similar symptoms , some of which (clumsiness, dropping things) started about 18 months before I was diagnosed with type 2 this time last year. It's mainly my right arm too. I think sometimes it's a bit worse when my glucose levels are higher, and also very often when I first wake up. So I think maybe my pins & needles is possibly aggravated by bad circulation if I've slept most of the night on that side. But at the moment my little finger is permanently tingly/numb, and to a much lesser extent my third finger too, and my whole hand feels rather weak. I'm left handed but it still surprises me how much I need to use my right hand! But I don't have any suggestions for you Emma, but if you're right handed it must be a real nuisance for you so at least you have my sympathy.

I spoke to the practice diabetes doctor about this in July when I had a review, and his attitude was that I hadn't had diabetes long enough for it to be related, and gave me a leaflet with exercises for trapped nerves. :mad::banghead::banghead: I told him I'm an accident waiting to happen as one of my biggest fears is dropping a container of boiling water all over me, which didn't bother him at all! As far as I'm concerned he's a complete and utter waste of time, and I shall check with my own GP when I next see him.

Robbity

PS At the moment I quite often get so frustrated when I'm dropping stuff all over the place and end up having a fit of the "screaming abdabs". My lovely sympathetic husband can then be heard in the background muttering about bad tempered old cows which does nothing to help matters. :wideyed:
This is exactly how I feel. I have dropped so many things which is so unlike me. I have been through two iPhones now so it's getting quite expensive! Haha. I currently have another 2 week wait to see my doctor so hopefully I can get some answers then. I hope you do too. The other doctor you saw seems like a complete waste of space. They should never assume it's too early for problems. I'm hoping it isn't anything permanent, but I'm getting quite impatient waiting for my appointment.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Hi everyone
For 18 years I have been a type 1 diabetic, now using an insulin pump for the last 8 years.
For a while now I have been having problems with my hands. It started off with a clumsy feeling and keep dropping things... This was investigated for carpal tunnel but that came back negative and my nerves in my hands were perfect.
Lately it has been getting worse and I get a lot of tingling and also pain running up my right arm. Does anyone else get symptoms like these?
Hi everyone
Hi Emma_P23... I have suffered the same thing recently, but my Thai masseuse is working on my right arm and seems to think it's the start of a frozen shoulder? After a session with her it definitely improves... maybe she just helps the circulation and it's not a frozen shoulder at all... I'm working abroad so won't see my doctor til December...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi I hope you can get some help soon from your GP. Could you keep a little diary of the mishaps you have had and also future mishaps, just to see if there is any pattern, then take it with you so then the GP can see the evidence in black and white, it could help. Take care
Good luck RRB :)

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I hope you can get some help soon from your GP. Could you keep a little diary of the mishaps you have had and also future mishaps, just to see if there is any pattern, then take it with you so then the GP can see the evidence in black and white, it could help. Take care
Good luck RRB :)
That is a really good idea, thank you. :)