Low Carb Christmas Recipes

Winifred12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have cooked red onions down for ages with a bit of balsamic vinegar and fake sugar. It's quite jammy and goes well with cheese. You could add walnuts and dried thyme to it for more texture and taste. (I want it now with a nice bit of Brie!)
That sounds good!

Winifred12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1416063799.317249.jpg
Might try this today

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I am just back from a stupid Tesco that doesn't sell arrowroot so won't be able to make cheese straws tonight :spitoutdummy:

Got some Brie and red onions instead. Also Brazil nuts! Who knew they are on 2.9g/100g?? How did I not know this? o_O

It's like Christmas has come early :D

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These look fab. Are they chewy or crunchy like breadsticks? Will need to get some arrowroot starch and give them a try :)

I cooked them til like golden brown, and they have a teensy crunch on the ends/edges
Next time I will cook them for longer, til nearly ginger nut colour, just beofre the flavour starts to go bitter (know what I mean?)
I think there will be crunch then too.

Actually, this has reminded me of another cheese recipe I have done.
Basically, just mix diced onion and cheese together. 50:50 or more cheese. Your choice. add garlic salt, horseradish, paprika, black pepper, chilli, curry powder, whatever, to your taste.
place in flat thin rounds on a tray and bake slowly, till onions have caramelised and cheese has gone all bubbly and golden.
allow to cool
eat.

I'm guessing the oven temp would be roughly the same as a roasting a chicken (180 degrees ish) for 15? 30? mins. it all depends on how thick you make the rounds.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I made this advent calendar as my GCSE project about 17 years ago. Put it up today and each cross stichted pocket holds a lindor black ball. They are about 60%.

i wasn't sure if theyd fit in the pockets, but just right.

Attachments

• 20141115_191624.jpg
    20141115_191624.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 438
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am just back from a stupid Tesco that doesn't sell arrowroot so won't be able to make cheese straws tonight :spitoutdummy:

Got some Brie and red onions instead. Also Brazil nuts! Who knew they are on 2.9g/100g?? How did I not know this? o_O

It's like Christmas has come early :D

Did you ever try them? :wacky:

I've been cruising the Interweb looking for a LC cheese football recipe.
Not a success so far.

I found these:
image.jpg

At http://lowcarbpinay.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/i-cant-believe-this-isnt-cheating-cream.html
But they don't have that 70s bowl of nuts feel.

Do you know, when I met Mr B, he had never even seen a cheese football!
He had totally missed out on the visit-to-the-grandparents-goodness-is-that-the-time?-fancy-a-small-sherry?-and-pass-the-nibbles experience.
Poor lamb.
So obviously, when he had his first cheese football, it was a revelation.
And then I turn diabetic on him...

So I really feel that I should at least TRY to fill the cheese football vacuum.

I'm finding nothing online.
But do you think that
Grated cheddar stuck together with cream cheese, shaped into balls and rolled in Parmesan would do?
Or
Gorgonzola, crumbled into cream cheese, shaped, and rolled in chopped walnuts?

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On the other hand (and unrelated to Xmas) I found these!

http://www.food.com/recipe/low-carb-breakfast-balls-98774

Result, or what!!!

Edited 1/12/14 to add:

I made these this evening. They are Gorgeous, and I predict they will be a staple.
Next time, I will cook them on a tray, not a grill tray - lost a lot of cheese when it dripped away.

They are basically meatballs with cheese.

What's not to love?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Did you ever try them? :wacky:

I've been cruising the Interweb looking for a LC cheese football recipe.
Not a success so far.

I found these:
View attachment 8462
At http://lowcarbpinay.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/i-cant-believe-this-isnt-cheating-cream.html
But they don't have that 70s bowl of nuts feel.

Sadly, I havent got arrowroot yet. Maybe a trip to Sainsburys will sort that.

If you are craving a retro 70s food presentation idea, you could borrow this one from my mum. She used to half a grapefruit, cover it in tinfoil and poke things on cocktail sticks into it. It was like a tasty Martian hedgehog :woot:

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sadly, I havent got arrowroot yet. Maybe a trip to Sainsburys will sort that.

If you are craving a retro 70s food presentation idea, you could borrow this one from my mum. She used to half a grapefruit, cover it in tinfoil and poke things on cocktail sticks into it. It was like a tasty Martian hedgehog :woot:

I'm having those for my retro 50th in two yeas time. Silver skin onions and mini frankfurters on sticks, cheese and pineapple. My mum even used to use cocktail cherries... I may need to borrow some retro Pyrex too ;-)

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria

Cheese balls - I saw Lorraine Pascale on the Food Network this week making cheesy balls.

http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/recipes/17993/goats-cheese-truffles

Maybe sub the honey for something?

Oh yes! They look fab!

Interestingly, sweeteners were a recurring theme in every cheese ball recipe I found.
Would you put sugar on cheese?
Yet as soon as we 'process' it into ball shapes, the sweetener is auto-added.
Very odd.

Worth trying with and without the sweetness, I think, especially now I'm acclimated to no sugar, in anything.

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Oh yes! They look fab!

Interestingly, sweeteners were a recurring theme in every cheese ball recipe I found.
Would you put sugar on cheese?
Yet as soon as we 'process' it into ball shapes, the sweetener is auto-added.
Very odd.

Worth trying with and without the sweetness, I think, especially now I'm acclimated to no sugar, in anything.
When I saw Lorraine making the cheese balls, I got the impression that the honey was used as glue so that the seeds, chives etc would stick to the cheese, rather than for sweetness. Don't know what else might work.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I saw Lorraine making the cheese balls, I got the impression that the honey was used as glue so that the seeds, chives etc would stick to the cheese, rather than for sweetness. Don't know what else might work.

Ah! I see. Hmmm.

I will have a ponder...

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I'm having those for my retro 50th in two yeas time. Silver skin onions and mini frankfurters on sticks, cheese and pineapple. My mum even used to use cocktail cherries... I may need to borrow some retro Pyrex too ;-)
Sounds groovy :D Pyrex rocks! (I actually bought a wee bowl recently for Christmas nuts, but am too embarrassed to post a pic now...nearly lol)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Ah! I see. Hmmm.

I will have a ponder...
This lady just rolls the goats cheese in the coating without honey glue. Will try it.

(I hate the way Americans call goats cheese "goat cheese" like they only have one goat in their country o_O)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Avocado Sevenfold

What a fantabulous video! Love it!!!

Do Americans say 'cow cheese' or 'cow's cheese'?
And wot are 'Erbs'?

No, I know, I'm being silly. :D

Just one more wee question - how did she make the two ENORMOUS goat cheese balls on the table? They are the size of footballs? How many pounds of cheese in each? :wideyed::woot:

Does she own a goat cheese farm, do you think?

:D:D:D

Seriously though, HAVE to try them!

Reactions: 6 people