Stopped insulin

Patricia762

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Back in early August my husband was diagnosed with Type1, since then we have reduced his insulin from 10 morning and night, till this week we have stopped it all together. We have struggled since the 2nd week of diagnosis with keeping his sugar levels up. This week his levels without insulin are about 5 fasting and 7-8 after food. He is 58, no history of Diabetes in his family, and we discovered he was "Diabetic" after a routine blood test showed his sugar levels at 34, after 24 hrs in hospital and 5 bags of saline he was released..his keytones are normal, we test them daily at the moment. Where they to quick to diagnose type1 or is this the "honeymoon period..We are at a loss..

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What do you mean by keeping his sugar levels up?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Still in the Honeymoon Period, just be sure to monitor his levels regularly as things will change, if in doubt about anything speak with his diabetes care team.

Reactions: 2 people

Patricia762

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Still in the Honeymoon Period, just be sure to monitor his levels regularly as things will change, if in doubt about anything speak with his diabetes care team.
Thank you for your reply, we are talking to the Doctor on Thursday of next week

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As above make sure you still test as things could change a lot. The honeymoon period can be a bit unpredictable.

Patricia762

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
As above make sure you still test as things could change a lot. The honeymoon period can be a bit unpredictable.
Thank you, seems everyone agrees this is a honeymoon period, i am still not sure, but i will make sure we keep on monitoring and stay with the diet we have been using