Christmas dinner plans

KittyKatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So what are you other Type 2's planning on having for Xmas dinner?

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Normal good food, with all the carbs and puddings, and all the things I miss etc.
Christmas comes one day in the year, I have 364 days to Low Carb and get over it.
I don't think one day on the go will have any adverse effect :***:

And you?

Reactions: 5 people

uncle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not type 2 but I will be having an Indian takeaway as usual. Only time of year we have it

leedslad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have already told myself I need to try and enjoy it, but only started carb counting and going low carb since march, so its my first christmas while really thinking about these things, I know im going to be stressing about my levels to enjoy the lovely roast potatos.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do my Christmas day on the 21st for very personal reasons ..I will be having my forbidden foods like yourkshire pud , roast potatoes and roast parsnips, sage and onion stuffing with my normal veggie roast dinner with the best onion gravey in the world.. For my verson of Christmas pudding I will have a pancake with icecream and maple syrup... I will also have just a couple of very expensive chocolates that the wife will buy me :rolleyes: happy days .. On the 25th we have a normal day :cyclops:

Reactions: 2 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have already told myself I need to try and enjoy it, but only started carb counting and going low carb since march, so its my first christmas while really thinking about these things, I know im going to be stressing about my levels to enjoy the lovely roast potatos.
if your going to stress out then give them a miss for this meal ... Or do as I will do just have 3oz of roast tatties and really enjoy them. I don't test on that day ! I know I will be over my ideal numbers .. But it's one day in 365 ... and my numbers do quickley return to normal

Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Last Christmas I was awaiting diagnosis. I had a "normal" dinner and felt awful all day :(

This year I will probably have a nut roast, cauliflower mash, lots of veg and low carb trifle. Those chocolate Brazil nuts that @cold ethyl posted about will be great for nibbles :)

leedslad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Enclave, you are right, you have to enjoy the little things, I will be having a few spuds, but in moderation, although it will be difficult, I do love my spuds, I will just have to have a few more pigs in blankets to make up for it. :)

KittyKatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Normal good food, with all the carbs and puddings, and all the things I miss etc.
Christmas comes one day in the year, I have 364 days to Low Carb and get over it.
I don't think one day on the go will have any adverse effect :***:

And you?

Randburg, really? It's my first Xmas as a Type 2 and it's kind of been drummed into me that there are no "off" or pig out days to be had, unlike a normal watching-the-weight diet.

I've been scrupulously good since June and would love a Yuletide reward but then I suppose it's a bad pattern to see food as a reward.

I have no idea what I'll have Xmas day. I might push the boat out and have a couple of roast potatoes and maybe a slice of coffee buttercream cake. But I sympathise with the other poster who said he would stress out if he had something naughty to eat.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Last Christmas I was awaiting diagnosis. I had a "normal" dinner and felt awful all day :(

This year I will probably have a nut roast, cauliflower mash, lots of veg and low carb trifle. Those chocolate Brazil nuts that @cold ethyl posted about will be great for nibbles :)
Gosh .. Brazil nut put my sugar through the roof ... Maple syrup keeps me level as will the icecream ... How diffrent we all are :rolleyes: taking a chance on the pancake ... Carb wise

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm going to have my normally Christmas dinner. I will most likely have one or two roasties and all the trimmings. I am also going to allow my self to have one mince pie or two with cream. But before and after that I will stick to my LCHF diet and stay away from the sweets. Don't want to undo all the good I have done over the last 3/4 months.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i must add this is my first Christmas as a T2 .. But the wife has been planning and testing foods for me in other meals theat were ultra low carb apart from the test food. So she has an estimation of when my numbers will be .. But still having a day off of testing ... But out of curiosity I my test with out her knowing :angelic:

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Gosh .. Brazil nut put my sugar through the roof ... Maple syrup keeps me level as will the icecream ... How diffrent we all are :rolleyes: taking a chance on the pancake ... Carb wise
That's weird isn't it? :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't like turkey. The rest of the family have it, and I have a delicious fillet steak. I have all the usual trimmings though, roast spuds, various veg, Yorkshire pud, and gravy. I manage 1 or 2 sprouts - if I eat them quickly with masses of gravy! None of us enjoy desserts very much, so no cake or Christmas Pud, but the chocolates come out. I may have one or two ..... :)

I will stick to the red wine and avoid the Honey Rum aperitif, but otherwise I will eat what I fancy. As said above, it is one day out of 365 and I will not be testing until bedtime. I have no intention of getting stressed out about one day running high ... and no doubt the rest of the family (all non-diabetic) will be running high too.;)

Reactions: 6 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't like turkey. The rest of the family have it, and I have a delicious fillet steak. I have all the usual trimmings though, roast spuds, various veg, Yorkshire pud, and gravy. I manage 1 or 2 sprouts - if I eat them quickly with masses of gravy! None of us enjoy desserts very much, so no cake or Christmas Pud, but the chocolates come out. I may have one or two ..... :)

I will stick to the red wine and avoid the Honey Rum aperitif, but otherwise I will eat what I fancy. As said above, it is one day out of 365 and I will not be testing until bedtime. I have no intention of getting stressed out about one day running high ... and no doubt the rest of the family (all non-diabetic) will be running high too.;)
O bluetit ..I have your sprouts .. I Lov sprouts .. I love all veg thinking about it ... Hungrey now :oops:

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Has to be a full roast with turkey, spuds roasted in goose fat. Followed by a small bit of christmas pud and custard.

susie1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I will have my normal Christmas dinner ,a small piece of pudding and cream ,I don't drink a mince pie and a few chocs I will keep an eye on my sugar but its only once a year isn't it

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We've always let our children decide what we're having for Christmas lunch and this year they've decided it will be a rib or four of beef. I'll have mine with roasted new potatoes and the usual mix of vegetables. My wife is the only member of the family who likes Christmas pudding so I don't have to face that choice. I'm likely to be temped by some apple pie and custard instead.

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Turkey with all the trimmings. Xmas pudding. Extra insulin and test strips already ordered. :wacky:

Reactions: 5 people