Healthy and unhealthy breakfasts.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My dad used to eat a lot of porridge for breakfast years ago, but only used salt, definitely no sugar or jam or berries, he said the salt was the proper 'scots'.way
He's still going at 91 :)

Reactions: 4 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
My dad used to eat a lot of porridge for breakfast years ago, but only used salt, definitely no sugar or jam or berries, he said the salt was the proper 'scots'.way
Tried myself on steel-cut oatmeal porridge and I seem to cope with it OK:)
I too have never used sugar or jams/jellies in it so I may start to use it on cold mornings with some double cream:cool:

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Tried myself on steel-cut oatmeal porridge and I seem to cope with it OK:)
I too have never used sugar or jams/jellies in it so I may start to use it on cold mornings with some double cream:cool:

May also try rolling my herring in this and frying them!:cool: Still won't go back to potatoes :eek:so no Tatties and Herring!:(

Reactions: 2 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Yuk.. Poor man.
My Grampa (born in late 1800's, when he walked Clydesdales as a stud groom in NE Scotland, used to make his porridge in a drawer and slice it to eat cold (salt not sugar) and died just short of 90 despite nearly dying as a boy with rheumatic fever!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My Grampa (born in late 1800's, when he walked Clydesdales as a stud groom in NE Scotland, used to make his porridge in a drawer and slice it to eat cold (salt not sugar) and died just short of 90 despite nearly dying as a boy with rheumatic fever!

Sliced porridge, good god I really am feeling :inpain: now, The Scots are a tough breed :)

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
But it does not make it right. Just something that had to be done ?? Still yuk. I have Scots in the family from 19th century, now dead. They all ate it because there was no choice.habits hard. Still yuk

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Your dads right about the Scots eating it that way, 91 is a good age RRB and hope he has many more years to come.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A couple of years ago, we had a guided tour of Wordsworth's house in the Lake District.

The guide said

'The Wordsworth's used to have guests who would stay for months at a time. Part of it was the remote location, but one of their visitors wrote home to say what a luxury it was to have three hot meals a day, every day. Admittedly two of those meals were porridge, but they were hot! Every day!'

It is so easy to forget what pampered times we live in, isn't it?

Another wee anecdote was that tea was so expensive that they used to re-use the tea leaves three or four times, then give the soggy discards to servants or poor villagers, to be re-re-used over again.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
A story from my dad years ago:-
He grew up in Gallowgate, quite poor and one of his stories, his mother would cook a boiled egg and would wipe all the children's mouths with the egg so it looked like they all had an egg each for breakfast before school, jury is still on that one lol ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In medieval England they didn't grow so many oats as those over the border but they still ate porridge. Frumenty was a common dish made from boiled cracked wheat . Later, festive versions had eggs and dried fruit added and it came to be associated with Christmas
http://adambalic.typepad.com/the_art_and_mystery_of_fo/regional_british_foods/page/2/
But most countries have their own versions made from whatever cereal grows in their country. My husband spent his early years in Southern Africa he remembers what he calls mielie mielie a porridge made from corn . Wiki calls it meilie pap.

FoodieGuru

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I love a good egg white omlette with asparagus, green tea on the side (unsweetened, of course), and a high fiber piece of bread with avocado, cucumbers and tomatoes on top!

And never underestimate the tastiness of a bowl of steel cut oatmeal done right :)

This site has some nice, healthy breakfast recipes: http://recipes-plus.co.uk/

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Never really been a big breakfast eater myself so a half a grapefruit or a slice of toast or a small portion of around 17-20 grams of cornflakes with a splash of semi skimmed milk does me OK, I never get hungry till lunch and I will often go till 1.00 or 2.00pm before I realise I feel hungry.

This is not always a good thing as I find if I test my bg levels at between midday I will get a reading in the mid 5's but if I leave it till 2.00pm I find my levels will have started rise to around the mid 6's.

I know many people say that breakfast is the most important meal but I have never wanted to eat in the mornings even when I did a very physical job I could never eat much for breakfast.

I guess we are all different eh? ;)