banned low carb diet tv doco in Australia

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
One thing that could play a part in peoples perceptions of satiation is portion size.
240cals as was used in experiment means about 340g of potato but only 100g of beef.

I'll have to look it up but I know that there were experiments where people were given milkshakes tat were made to taste alike but were high in protein, fat or carbs . From memory (ie might be wrong) protein was the most satiating , then carbs and fat was last .

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My experience eating a macro split of 45% fat, 45% protein and 10% carbs with a carb loading day once a week is that even with brown rice and sweet potato as the carb sources I feel hungry much sooner after eating on the carb load day than on a normal low carb day.

Reactions: 3 people

aimee11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found it interesting too because the low GI foods do not work for me either. Also it is good that one nutritionist is working with the hospital to change the menu from cereal, toast and tinned fruit to a boiled egg and toast. At least a diabetic on low carb diet can have an egg instead of nothing when in this hospital.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why is a potato refined carbs?
As I said, nothing but hydrated starch, zero fiber.

Not refined per se, but effectively the same, although the method of cooking can change the GI.

aimee11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the reason the establishment is so anti low carb diet even though we know it is the only way to control blood glucose is that they are convinced you have to have the fiber of grains to clear the intestine and go poo.
I have found that having a few nuts such as pecans will give a really easy time in the little room and not affect my blood glucose

So what is so wrong with getting the fiber in the form of other foods such as veggies and nuts if you cannot handle the grains in your diet?

The only reason I am finding why the low carb eating is so shunned by the establishment is because there is not enough research into it and how good it is over long term.

To me that is not enough reason to advise against it for people who cannot digest carbs

Reactions: 7 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We apologise that Catalyst - Low Carb: Fat or Fiction - was unavailable over the weekend. The issue has now been rectified and the program restored.
Is it sorted now.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have found that having a few nuts such as pecans will give a really easy time in the little room and not affect my blood glucose
So what is so wrong with getting the fiber in the form of other foods such as veggies and nuts if you cannot handle the grains in your diet
Nothing, but fibre isn't just to do with making your stool loose.Fibre also plays a role in the cholesterol mechanisms. There are different types, some of which are fermented in the intestine.(particularly resistant starch which has been found to low increase insulin sensitivity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietary_fiber
There isn't a huge amount of data yet so as this article puts it the jury is out ,eating a very low carb diet may have a significant detrimental effect on the biome as it limits the amount of resistant starch. (a high carb diet of mainly refined starches and sugars is definitely not good either)
http://humanfoodproject.com/sorry-low-carbers-your-microbiome-is-just-not-that-into-you/
(and anyone in the UK, Europe who wants to add to that data and find out what microbes are in their gut (and has some spare cash) can now join in the the newly started UK branch of human gut project .)
http://www.britishgut.org/

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Some days I'm glad I just eat I diet I like, without worrying about TV, books, the internet, or anything more complicated than simply eating.

Reactions: 4 people

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Douglas, your signature says you follow low GI, GL diet and you've recently been on Newcastle Diet ? This is everything you just said you don't do ? I think we are all influenced by TV, books and the internet to some extent. That's why we often disagree. There is so much money spent advising us to eat what we shouldn't.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some days I'm glad I just eat I diet I like, without worrying about TV, books, the internet, or anything more complicated than simply eating.
Wait till your book comes out..
Joking aside. your right, well most of the time.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@Douglas, your signature says you follow low GI, GL diet and you've recently been on Newcastle Diet ? This is everything you just said you don't do ? I think we are all influenced by TV, books and the internet to some extent. That's why we often disagree. There is so much money spent advising us to eat what we shouldn't.

No, that's just what I eat.
I follow low GI/GL because for, me, it keeps the figure on my meter where I like it to be.

I found it by trying several other diets, I don't claim you'll have the same results, I don't mind how many studies show it works, or doesn't work.
I don't argue a spike isn't a spike, or is a long slow spike, I don't worry if my particular food isn't available.
My diet is simply what I eat, because I like it, and it suits the entire lifestyle I have.
I haven't bought any books, I don't advocate any particular product, I think I've gone beyond the need to be convinced my diet is the best one for me, or any one else, I just eat it, because it works for me, as a whole.

As to the Newcastle diet, I'm eating that for the short term, I don't think it's greatly advertised, it does appear to have some possible positive overcomes, so it more as a 'treatment' which I'm experimenting with, rather than a diet as such.

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Douglas, I'm not trying suggest you are wrong, just trying to highling how we can be seduced by TV, the internet etc without even realising it. You have found what works for you by trying other "diets" and adjusting them. Truth is "simply eating" is not a viable option for the majority. Testing, adjusting, avoiding, substituting is certainly far more the normal than your choice. Perhaps you are just lucky :)

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
The only reason I am finding why the low carb eating is so shunned by the establishment is because there is not enough research into it and how good it is over long term.

[cynic] The lack of research would have nothing to do with the lack of profit in it for food and drugs companies of course. People eating healthy wholesome food, diabetics not needing so much (or any) medication? Are we supposed to sponsor these weirdos who don't contribute to our coffers? Whatever next! [/cynic]

Reactions: 3 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@Douglas, I'm not trying suggest you are wrong, just trying to highling how we can be seduced by TV, the internet etc without even realising it. You have found what works for you by trying other "diets" and adjusting them. Truth is "simply eating" is not a viable option for the majority. Testing, adjusting, avoiding, substituting is certainly far more the normal than your choice. Perhaps you are just lucky :)

I wouldn't say lucky.
I just read all the diets, took the common bits, experimented, dismissed what didn't work, added more bits that did.
As I always said, I eat to my meter, I low GI, I mostly avoid fat. I portion control.
But only because I like it, and it isn't bad for me.
I won't claim I never feel hungry, I won't claim I'm always satiated, as that's not major concern to me, but then I don't believe feeling hungry occasionally does me harm .

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
[cynic] The lack of research would have nothing to do with the lack of profit in it for food and drugs companies of course. People eating healthy wholesome food, diabetics not needing so much (or any) medication? Are we supposed to sponsor these weirdos who don't contribute to our coffers? Whatever next! [/cynic]
The trouble with that argument is that
a) much research is still funded by governments
b) Industry sponsorship comes from many sources, That includes of course the pharmaceutical industry and the very large supplement industry. It also includes big food companies and interest groups from all sides of the spectrum so you have groups like Nestle and Unilever but also corn growers, meat packers , the dairy and egg industry and other agricultural groups who all sponsor research. Atkins nutritionals have funded much of the low carb research and have endowed chairs for metabolism and nutrition research at 5 US universities.
You either have to distrust science and the peer review system completely or accept that (mostly) scientists are not party to fraud. There are examples of fraud (see the website retraction watch) but there are also examples of researchers not finding the results that their sponsors probably hoped they would, as in this example which was a study about fat from Ron Krauss
" Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I have to say that the first study was funded the National Dairy Council, and we used fairy fat and dairy products liberally in that study, since they’re high in saturated fats. The second, more recent study was funded by the National Cattleman’s Beef Association because they felt, and frankly we felt at the time, based on the evidence we had, that feeding a high saturated fat and low carbohydrate intake would have the same benefit on a high beef diet as as on a mixed protein diet, and bottom line is that when we did the study, we found out that was not the case" http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2012/04/17/ron-krauss-saturated-fat-red-meat-it-depends/

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Nothing fills me up. ever, I've had I have had this since my very early twenties and it doesn't ever change. I've had my lunch of 2 GF crackers, cucumber, carrot and pepper sticks with dip and a seeded 9 bar, still starving.:hungry:though. But I've learned to just put up with it :( :hungry:

RRB

ps this is regarding one of Zand's post's.

Last edited by a moderator:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing fills me up. ever, I've had I have had this since my very early twenties and it doesn't ever change. I've had my lunch of 2 GF crackers, cucumber, carrot and pepper sticks with dip and a seeded 9 bar, still starving.:hungry:though. But I've learned to just put up with it :( :hungry:

RRB

Really? Oh dear. :( I was like that both times I was pregnant and also when I started on anti-depressants (but just for a couple of weeks). Generally now though the less carbs I eat the less hungry I am later. Poor you RRB! :(Oh BTW how's the wrist?

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
The trouble with that argument is that
a) much research is still funded by governments

Like the ones who brought us NICE and the EatWell Plate ...

b) Industry sponsorship comes from many sources, That includes of course the pharmaceutical industry and the very large supplement industry. It also includes big food companies and interest groups from all sides of the spectrum so you have groups like Nestle and Unilever but also corn growers, meat packers , the dairy and egg industry and other agricultural groups who all sponsor research. Atkins nutritionals have funded much of the low carb research and have endowed chairs for metabolism and nutrition research at 5 US universities.

The pharmaceutical and food industries would make mincemeat of the 'interest groups'. It's hardly a level playing field when there is so much money at stake. What do you believe is the prime motivation of the drug, food and even supplements companies?

You either have to distrust science and the peer review system completely or accept that (mostly) scientists are not party to fraud.

That's very black and white and I don't have to accept either of your extreme-end alternatives. I'm a scientist, and I don't distrust the peer review system provided the review is truly independent and objective and performed on fully independent, unbiased work with data provided free for the benefit of the whole of society. Idealistic perhaps but it shouldn't be - science should be objective. I don't think there are many individual scientists who are fraudulent either, but the amounts of money at stake here are truly obscene and power tends to corrupt, mostly with those at corporate level who are probably not scientists anyway. The scope for corruption and manipulation in order to protect vested interests is equally huge. The individual scientists probably don't even realise it's happening. That's not science it's corporate bullying.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Really? Oh dear. :( I was like that both times I was pregnant and also when I started on anti-depressants (but just for a couple of weeks). Generally now though the less carbs I eat the less hungry I am later. Poor you RRB! :(Oh BTW how's the wrist?

I'm okay thanks, there is a name for this condition and a man actually had the same thing but he just kept eating all the time, I will try and find it.
The wrist is still locked( as it was plastered,) so it still looks like I am pointing to the right,o_O but have a little movement in my fingers, but still cant clench fist, stopped all pain killers a couple of weeks ago and haven't vomited since, Angle measurement were taken last week at Hand therapy clinic and then every month, so moving positively forward, onwards and upwards.:) Thanks for asking Zand,

RRB ( sorry for slight derailment :oops: )

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

RRB

Can't say I'm surprised. That isn't food, that's nibbles.