Running

jphewitt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi all

Found out last year I had type2 so started exercising and cutting down cant do diets lol don't like the food. Anyway started running in Feb this year have done a few 10K runs and do the park run most Saturdays, however on longer runs I find my feet are sore and develop hard skin on the side of my feet and anyone advise. Also I completed a half marathon and I felt very light headed after it when I got home I stuffed myself felt really hungry id this normal plus 4 hours I checked my blood sugar levels and they where sitting at 4.6.

like I said am new to all this and struggling to get any advice or help looking for any advice.

thanks jim

Denthezen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your symptoms after running seem perfectly normal. how often do you train, do you wear proper running shoes, before running long distances do you eat carbs ie brown pasta, what age are you, whilst running long distances what do you drink. Many professional sportspeople when they retire develop diabetes but keep it under control by disciplined exercise. I keep mine under control by diet and exercise alone.

ricardoharrison

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rascism / Fascism / Negativity
Presuming you've had a gait test for under / over pronation??. Sounds like the norm when you start running

jphewitt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Do you test your blood glucose before during and after running?

If not ... why not? It would be the best indicator of what would work best for you and your type 2 Diabetes whilst partaking of the sport.

Definitely would recommend getting your running gait analysed and the right running shoes for you selected - assuming you haven't already.

Your running journey looks really good to me - having built up to doing a half marathon I would have hoped you'd have a really good understanding of how your running has impacted your type 2 Diabetes.

Diet will become a critical element if you wish to run longer distances or even improve your performance - food is fuel! ;)

Thanks all for replying, yes I started running with a pair of Fila which caused me all sorts off issues with my knees but once I got the gait tested and proper running shoes I have been grand from that the issues I am having is I think build up of lactic acid plus my feet as previously stated. Sorry to say Nornistheman I don't do by blood as you suggested I do it every few days. I don't know what half to stuff means as I have be left to my own devices any information I have gained is basic. Denthezen I run 3 to 4 times a week at various distances from 5k to 18k was hoping to do a marathon in may but see how it goes, as for diet I am a very plain eater don't do rice, fish or veg, mainly loads of carbs whole grain bread, spuds meat etc. have tried different foods just don't like them sorry to say.

jphewitt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Your symptoms after running seem perfectly normal. how often do you train, do you wear proper running shoes, before running long distances do you eat carbs ie brown pasta, what age are you, whilst running long distances what do you drink. Many professional sportspeople when they retire develop diabetes but keep it under control by disciplined exercise. I keep mine under control by diet and exercise alone.
Thanks all for replying, yes I started running with a pair of Fila which caused me all sorts off issues with my knees but once I got the gait tested and proper running shoes I have been grand from that the issues I am having is I think build up of lactic acid plus my feet as previously stated. Sorry to say Nornistheman I don't do by blood as you suggested I do it every few days. I don't know what half to stuff means as I have be left to my own devices any information I have gained is basic. Denthezen I run 3 to 4 times a week at various distances from 5k to 18k was hoping to do a marathon in may but see how it goes, as for diet I am a very plain eater don't do rice, fish or veg, mainly loads of carbs whole grain bread, spuds meat etc. have tried different foods just don't like them sorry to say.

thanks again