Are meal replacement shakes ok for Diabetes Type 2?

GerryOB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
About five years ago, I was under the hospital to have a gastric bypass to help with my weight issues. However, I never had the operation, as I have many issues with depression which could not be resolved and the hospital felt it best to wait until I was in a better position in relation to this before going ahead with the op. In order to start the weight loss programme, I started using weight loss meal replacement shakes. I use the Tesco version of Slimfast, but only have one per day for breakfast. Does anyone know if these are ok to continue with now that I have been diagnosed with T2 Diabetes? They are made with skimmed milk. I haven't seen any dips or peaks in my blood sugar levels, which remain between 4 and 8 (usually between 5 and 7). I just didn't want to give them up if I don't need to, nor continue with them if they are not good for me due to my Diabetes.

Any advice appreciated.

Denthezen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Check the sugar content on the label if none or very low, and you've tested before and after should be ok?

Denthezen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I attended a DESMOND course recently, and basically anything with low or no sugar content is fine,

GerryOB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is what it says on the packaging:

Energy
850kJ
205kcal, 10%of your GDA
  • Fat
    3.0g, 4%of your GDA
  • Saturates
    0.7g, 4%of your GDA
  • Sugars
    25.2g, 28%of your GDA
  • Salt
    0.7g, 12%

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's carbohydrates that you need to worry about not just sugars.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As pavlosn says, worry about total carbs not just sugar. Set yourself a max carbs per day limit. Start with 150gm/day and see how you go. Although Slimfast may be OK, why bother with the expense and hassle? Just keep the carbs down and have normal low-carb food and enough proteins, fat and veg to keep you happy

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is what it says on the packaging:

Energy
850kJ
205kcal, 10%of your GDA
  • Fat
    3.0g, 4%of your GDA
  • Saturates
    0.7g, 4%of your GDA
  • Sugars
    25.2g, 28%of your GDA
  • Salt
    0.7g, 12%

That amount of carb (sugar) especially at breakfast, would have me craving more carbs all day.

That doesn't mean that you experience carb cravings, but if you do, there are other (more expensive) shake options available. The lowest carb ones I've ever seen are Atkins and Almased. Of the two, Almased is more nutritious. I think.

GerryOB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. As pavlosn says, worry about total carbs not just sugar. Set yourself a max carbs per day limit. Start with 150gm/day and see how you go. Although Slimfast may be OK, why bother with the expense and hassle? Just keep the carbs down and have normal low-carb food and enough proteins, fat and veg to keep you happy

Sorry if this makes me sound dim, but it doesn't say anything on there about carbs, so how do I tell ?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
About five years ago, I was under the hospital to have a gastric bypass to help with my weight issues. However, I never had the operation, as I have many issues with depression which could not be resolved and the hospital felt it best to wait until I was in a better position in relation to this before going ahead with the op. In order to start the weight loss programme, I started using weight loss meal replacement shakes. I use the Tesco version of Slimfast, but only have one per day for breakfast. Does anyone know if these are ok to continue with now that I have been diagnosed with T2 Diabetes? They are made with skimmed milk. I haven't seen any dips or peaks in my blood sugar levels, which remain between 4 and 8 (usually between 5 and 7). I just didn't want to give them up if I don't need to, nor continue with them if they are not good for me due to my Diabetes.

Any advice appreciated.

My food of choice for the last 4 weeks.
2 or 3 a day, and 800 calories a day overall.
The carb content is 26g of carbs in the shakes, of which 25g are sugar.
Like you, I have no issues with that.
I'm fine, both BG readings, and carb cravings, which I don't suffer from.
Your BG seems to be fine with them as well, I take it you test as well, so from those readings they seem to be ok for you as well.
It's working well, although I started from a 'good' BMI of 25, I've still lost over another stone in the few weeks I've been on it, and stopped all my meds.
The do need to be part of an overall strategy though, what sort of diet are you aiming for?

At the risk of being boring, my thread on it is here
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/another-newcastle-diet.66762/

Stick with it though, and I hope you have the same good results as well, as you certainly seem to be on the right track. :)

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry if this makes me sound dim, but it doesn't say anything on there about carbs, so how do I tell ?
Carbs are listed in the full nutritional table, but are usually omitted from the "soundbite" one printed on the front to impress customers with how low sugar/low fat/low salt the product is (IMHO the "traffic light" labelling is just advertising, which should be ignored like all other claims in ads)

Denthezen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
25g of sugar!! Personally I wouldn't touch anything as high as that in a drink. I make my own whole meal bread which a full loaf has 10g of sugar all the carbs you need,

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
25g of sugar!! Personally I wouldn't touch anything as high as that in a drink. I make my own whole meal bread which a full loaf has 10g of sugar all the carbs you need,

Np problems with it so far.

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Still a yes from me, providing the diet is very low calorie..
." I make my own whole meal bread which a full loaf has 10g of sugar all the carbs you need."

That is only a small fraction of the carbs in that loaf.:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Bacon and eggs would be healthier than one of those.

Reactions: 2 people

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you think it is only sugar we have to avoid Douglas? Or calories?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I suppose it's possible a packet of processed chemicals and sugar is healthier than eggs and meat...I'd need to see some proof though before I'd believe it.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Do you think it is only sugar we have to avoid Douglas?

A really big no.

every diabetic, and I can only speak for type 2's, need to test.
Cut everything.
Reintroduce carbs, low GI, portion control, and work out what carbs give an acceptable BG

But, don't stress the numbers, otherwise you'll find diabetes is leading your life by stressing over the numbers.
So, I believe your meter, HbA1c's, and above all, common sense, gives a feel good answer.
Exercise plays a great part as well, and again, how you feel, as you know your body better than anyone else